Stadium Construction Discussion (No PSL/Seat selection posts)

JÂy RÛßeÒ

11 hours ago, mrags said:

or defend the decisions without having the full picture… 

😉

For the record, I'm not "defending the decisions", I'm just not complaining about a bunch of things that I don't have full line-of-sight into... 🤔

I'm waiting for the actual facts and, to for sure, I'm pretty excited that one of the best stadium designers in the world put our new home together.  Not like a local Joe designed this thing, it's literally one of the best in the business.  Even if I did want to complain about the lack of a roof (which I don't really care either way), it's a waste of time and energy, the stadium is what it is and I'm willing to bet that a $2B building built in 2024 is going be kinda nice. 🤷‍♂️

Per the song I was just listening to, You've got to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative. :beer: 

Einstein will at least engage with those that outright disagree with him, or defend his position.

Airseven just blasts out negative opinions, and then runs and hides when he is confronted with those opinions. 

Einstein > Airseven. (Although both make me drink)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, teef said:

Nonsense.  You get called out for being ridiculous…nothing else.  And there’s no double standard.  Some posters decided to have full on tantrums, while the more reasonable people understood they were just looking at renderings, and even then not everyone was going to he completely pleased.  That’s life.  To watch you and a few other posters act the way you did was embarrassing. 

@teef out here doing the lords work! 🤣 🙌

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

I’ve even had posts deleted in here and/or given warnings for simply not going along with the rose-colored glasses groupthink.

FWIW, I've posted here since the late 90's and have never had a post removed (though, you know, I have had a warning or two) :beer:    But I'm sure it's the lack of conforming with "group think", not the content of your posts... 🤣 🤔

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

In your opinion it is a bad opinion.

Do you see the problem? It’s a circular argument.

When an opinion is overwhelmingly one sided, yes, it's a bad opinion.

His response to his post.  I'm not the only one who said it's a bad opinion.

How about this opinion.  I think the Bills new stadium is the most beautiful designed sports structure in the entire world.  Is that a good opinion or bad opinion?

image.png.46f077fba7a73fb87a64aff1e84993ce.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, T master said:

I recently saw that there are already going to be cost over runs due to increase in prices of materials i hope this doesn't slow the construction or even delay it that would really suck !! 

Won’t delay anything, just cost more.

15 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I wonder what kind of delays they could have during wintertime in Buffalo. Some of those storms could be a pain in the ass.

Yeah I agree - I think (or would hope) that they built in some kind unexpected downtime due to weather events when they were planning the construction. But maybe not. 

On 8/9/2023 at 8:55 PM, Buffalo716 said:

I can't wait till we are winning super bowls and hosting AFC championship games in our new stadium

And Tennessee is paying 2.1 billion dollars for six wins a year

Anybody trying to downplay ours and talking up other people's stadiums are disrespecting the bills

Nashville will absolutely host a SB shortly after stadium completion, as well as Final Fours and other high profile events. You really can’t compare the two cities. 

I’m an outdoors on grass guy myself.  And Terry pays cost overruns (and I bet the Titans winds up more that what’s being quoted).   Some of those costs will dribble down to the fan.  But when I come to town all the bars and restaurants seem full.  Went to a Bandits playoff and it was packed.  Sabres fans are back as the team looks better.  The new stadium will sell out regardless of PSLs and such.  Bills fans are who they are.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Nashville will absolutely host a SB shortly after stadium completion, as well as Final Fours and other high profile events. You really can’t compare the two cities. 

Because it's a nice warm weather City

Buffalo is the snowiest major city in the country.. freezing in February

We would never host a super bowl even with a dome

It doesn't mean Buffalo is a dump

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Because it's a nice warm weather City

Buffalo is the snowiest major city in the country.. freezing in February

We would never host a super bowl even with a dome

It doesn't mean Buffalo is a dump

Detroit and Minnesota have.  But the biggest reason we wouldn’t host is lack of hotel space

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yeah I agree - I think (or would hope) that they built in some kind unexpected downtime due to weather events when they were planning the construction. But maybe not. 

Not trying to be snarky but the company building the new stadium is one of the largest construction firms in the world. I’m going to guess that they’re aware that it snows in Buffalo. 😉

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Detroit and Minnesota have.  But the biggest reason we wouldn’t host is lack of hotel space

Both those cities are the largest cities in their state

Buffalo may be the second biggest city in New York

But it's a complete afterthought compared to New York City... In terms of wealth status and what the New York state government cares about

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Both those cities are the largest cities in their state

Buffalo may be the second biggest city in New York

But it's a complete afterthought compared to New York City... In terms of wealth status and what the New York state government cares about

I don’t think that’s the point. Of course Buffalo is no match for NYC and it’s 8.5M people and all its tourists every year. The point is more like Buffalo is very close to on par with Minneapolis and Detroit. I haven’t been to either but I’ve seen pictures, watched shows, read about them and they really seem to be similar in many ways. Including winter weather. So the point is, if those cities can host Super Bowls, why not Buffalo. Other than the obvious that our current stadium and lack of a dome doesn’t permit it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, mrags said:

I don’t think that’s the point. Of course Buffalo is no match for NYC and it’s 8.5M people and all its tourists every year. The point is more like Buffalo is very close to on par with Minneapolis and Detroit. I haven’t been to either but I’ve seen pictures, watched shows, read about them and they really seem to be similar in many ways. Including winter weather. So the point is, if those cities can host Super Bowls, why not Buffalo. Other than the obvious that our current stadium and lack of a dome doesn’t permit it. 

Minneapolis is not like Buffalo....other than it's cold in the winter. The Twin Cities region is HUGE and booming. The two downtown areas are not even close in terms of size.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Minneapolis is not like Buffalo....other than it's cold in the winter. The Twin Cities region is HUGE and booming. The two downtown areas are not even close in terms of size.

I went to Redskins SB in Minneapolis. Buffalo is no where close to it in terms of anything but weather

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not trying to be snarky but the company building the new stadium is one of the largest construction firms in the world. I’m going to guess that they’re aware that it snows in Buffalo. 😉

Absolutely I agree and no snark intended by me either.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Like I said. I’ve never been there. So I can’t speak from experience. Apparently you can. All I’m going by is what I’ve seen on tv and read about. According to wiki the population of Minneapolis is just over 418k which is actually down from 430k in 2020. 

I’ll just shut up as I have no basis of an argument. 

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Like I said. I’ve never been there. So I can’t speak from experience. Apparently you can. All I’m going by is what I’ve seen on tv and read about. According to wiki the population of Minneapolis is just over 418k which is actually down from 430k in 2020. 

I’ll just shut up as I have no basis of an argument. 

The metro area is 3.69 million.  They can support all 4 major sports teams.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The metro area is 3.69 million.  They can support all 4 major sports teams.

Yes I know it’s still a lot more. But many people will point to metro areas but then decline to add buffalos metro areas as well. It’s 1.3ish. Yes I know you are not insinuating that. And I’m not pretending to know for sure. Because again, I haven’t been there. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yes I know it’s still a lot more. But many people will point to metro areas but then decline to add buffalos metro areas as well. It’s 1.3ish. Yes I know you are not insinuating that. And I’m not pretending to know for sure. Because again, I haven’t been there. 

There was talks years ago about Buffalo getting a baseball team.  Do you think they could support one?  I haven’t heard any recent talks.  

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There was talks years ago about Buffalo getting a baseball team.  Do you think they could support one?  I haven’t heard any recent talks.  

No we can't 

Buffalo is perfect for AAA ball .. I can take my elderly father or young cousins and nephews... Lots of theme nights and affordable

Sahlens field was made to be upgraded to a MLB park when they built it but I believe the marlins got the team

Edited by Buffalo716

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

No we can't 

Buffalo is perfect for AAA ball .. I can take my elderly father or young cousins and nephews... Lots of theme nights and affordable

Sahlens field was made to be upgraded to a MLB park when they built it but I believe the marlins got the team

Quick and dirty research says that the smallest MLB market is Milwaukee at around 1.55M in the metro area. Buffalo currently sits around 1.2M. So it’s kinda close but I tend to agree with you I don’t think MLB would currently work here, especially when it’s not a market that MLB is coming back to.

4 hours ago, mrags said:

Hotels

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Hotels

exactly. You could build a $5billion dollar indoor palace up here and you still wouldn’t have the infrastructure or accommodations to support a Super Bowl or anything close to it. A big ol’ fancy stadium alone isn’t going to entice that type of development on its own either.

That’s why I laugh at this arguments being made for the domed stadium that say: “well an open air joint is only good for one thing and that’s football 12 times a year”

Guess what? An enclosed stadium here wouldn’t draw much more. 

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Hotels

I understand this. From what I can find, Minneapolis has approx 10k hotel rooms. And that is a solid site I found. Buffalo, however I cannot find an updated link. I found an article from 2019 that said roughly 2,500 hotel rooms. And that is likely pretty accurate but I’d bet it’s at least 3k if not closer to 4k or even more now as that link was 4 years old. Either way, I’m not arguing that point. And I’m not sure what the minimum number of hotel rooms is for the NFLs Super Bowl must haves list. But I’ll say this, and what I’ve argued so much in the past. Building the stadium where they are now does nothing for the area. Does nothing for the rejuvenation of the city or surrounding areas. There’s already a stadium in its place and it doesn’t provide anything. A new stadium downtown likely would have brought at least a few new hotels to the area. Add in another 1-2k rooms I’d imagine. Multiple jobs, restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. whatever, I’ve argued this point to no avail in the past. I’m not going to go crazy about it. Was just some observations 

41 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah there’s pretty much zero chance of us getting a baseball team. Couldn’t support it and personally in this area I think it would be stupid. Nothing worse than watching baseball games with snow at the end of the seasons. 

17 minutes ago, mrags said:

I understand this. From what I can find, Minneapolis has approx 10k hotel rooms. And that is a solid site I found. Buffalo, however I cannot find an updated link. I found an article from 2019 that said roughly 2,500 hotel rooms. And that is likely pretty accurate but I’d bet it’s at least 3k if not closer to 4k or even more now as that link was 4 years old. Either way, I’m not arguing that point. And I’m not sure what the minimum number of hotel rooms is for the NFLs Super Bowl must haves list. But I’ll say this, and what I’ve argued so much in the past. Building the stadium where they are now does nothing for the area. Does nothing for the rejuvenation of the city or surrounding areas. There’s already a stadium in its place and it doesn’t provide anything. A new stadium downtown likely would have brought at least a few new hotels to the area. Add in another 1-2k rooms I’d imagine. Multiple jobs, restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. whatever, I’ve argued this point to no avail in the past. I’m not going to go crazy about it. Was just some observations 

Yeah there’s pretty much zero chance of us getting a baseball team. Couldn’t support it and personally in this area I think it would be stupid. Nothing worse than watching baseball games with snow at the end of the seasons. 

A better comparison may be Jacksonville.

They hosted a Super Bowl and is very comparable to Buffalo in size.

Jacksonville even had to bring in cruise ships to add more hotel rooms.

Just now, Einstein said:

A better comparison may be Jacksonville.

They hosted a Super Bowl and is very comparable to Buffalo in size.

Jacksonville even had to bring in cruise ships to add more hotel rooms.

Oooooo. Cruise ships in Lake Erie. Great idea 

Just now, mrags said:

Oooooo. Cruise ships in Lake Erie. Great idea 

The NFL found a way to make it work for Jacksonville. They could find a way to make it work for Buffalo too - if they wanted to. Will they? No. Especially not without a downtown stadium.

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The NFL found a way to make it work for Jacksonville. They could find a way to make it work for Buffalo too - if they wanted to. Will they? No. Especially not without a downtown stadium.

Well of course they won’t make it work. But yes, they could if they wanted. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mrags said:

Well of course they won’t make it work. But yes, they could if they wanted. 

I looked up the requirements.  The NFL states you have to have hotel space equivalent to 35% of the stadium occupancy plus additional hotel space for the teams, league officials, dignitaries, and such. And I think they want them within an hour of the stadium.   So you have I believe 65k seats planned for the new stadium so that’s 22750 seats.  Add in teams, dignitaries, and such round it off to 30k.  I don’t think we have that.  Maybe if you throw in Motel 6’s and such.

I would have preferred a downtown venue but that would have required a lot of funding for relocation and razing of space which may have affected the deal.

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I looked up the requirements.  The NFL states you have to have hotel space equivalent to 35% of the stadium occupancy plus additional hotel space for the teams, league officials, dignitaries, and such. And I think they want them within an hour of the stadium.   So you have I believe 65k seats planned for the new stadium so that’s 22750 seats.  Add in teams, dignitaries, and such round it off to 30k.  I don’t think we have that.  Maybe if you throw in Motel 6’s and such.

I would have preferred a downtown venue but that would have required a lot of funding for relocation and razing of space which may have affected the deal.

The NFL would never vote on a SB venue at an open air stadium in cold weather climate in a small market area, downtown or not.  

• Like (+1) 1

Who in bloody hell is wanting to host a Super Bowl in Buffalo?

Super Bowl locales should be vacation destinations in early February.  I think it’s dumb that they’ve held them in Minneapolis or Indianapolis.

Back on point — the Bills clearly did not try to scrimp or save in the research and design of their new home.  It’s going to be fantastic.

• Like (+1) 4