Uniform Identity & Changes (What is behind it)

corta765

A popular topic around these parts is the Bills doing a throwback to the 90s blue unis and red helmets which in turn brings up why we do not see more uniforms or changes by the Bills in general. As someone who regular reads about the process of uni changes and everything that goes into it I thought I would share what factors the team, NIKE, and NFL wise regular play a role in this.

To start you can basically divide the league into three branches in terms of uniform style; traditional, not traditional, and mixed appearance which are teams that may have some traditional looks they either have blended or moved away from but the elements still are there. I would break the teams out like this:

Traditional look: BUF, CHI, CLE, CIN, DAL, GB, IND, KC, LAC, LV, NYG, PIT, SF

Not traditional look: ATL, BAL, CAR, DEN, HOU, NYJ, NOLA, PHI, SEA, TEN

Mixed: ARZ, DET, JAX, LAR, MIN, MIA, NE, TB, WSH

How those teams end up in those categories is interesting as a variety of things are at play. Classic long term franchises like PIT, GB, CHI, KC, etc will never significantly alter what they wear as that is their brand and look come hell or high water. BUF/CLE/CIN have all smartly returned to classic style uniforms after moving for a while to newer "modern" looks that really never fit. On the flipside teams like SEA, NE, & DEN all had very nice traditional looks, BUT the rings came in what you see right now. A lot of Denver fans do not mind their current look apparently because that was what their titles came in. For the Patriots the classic Pat the Patriot look is wonderful, but Brady and crew won six in the blue Elvis patriot look so I doubt they ever fully move away. Some teams like Minnesota have successfully mixed a traditional flair with a modern approach while Miami has had middling results and other franchises like the Rams have left a far superior jersey on the table for the trash sorry "modern" look they have now. Modern doesn't mean bad as BAL/PHI/NOLA/TB all have very solid looks that are not traditional, but as we've all seen many times modern goes off the rails.

Today's NFL teams are corporations in a nut shell. The brand is everything which is why some of the more creative logos and looks have passed for dull "modern" attempts. Any time a team decides to move to something new its a multi year process that goes through the NFL. Even if Buffalo wants the red helmet and blue jersey from the 90s as a third you are looking at 2-3 years to actually get it on the field between approvals and then sourcing. Last season the Bills did not wear their AFL white unis and I partially believe that is because the submitted a request to the league to move to the red helmets on an alternate basis. The Bucs would've had their popular creamsicle look last year but the supply shortage caused it to be delayed a year. When a new uniform is brought out it is five years before a team can start anew for something else. If that team wins a title in that time I can guarantee any plans they have on made changing or altering things will be delayed. 

One of the other things that has slowed down or stopped popular uniforms like the Eagles Kelly green is the NFLs one shell rule. Back around 2011 the NFL made it mandatory that players use the same helmet at all times for safety reasons. That in turn eliminated the ability for one off helmets until this last year when the NFL finally modified the policy to bring in another helmet as long as it passed the safety tests. This should open up teams to be able to wear multiple looks again. 

Finally the NFL uniform provider NIKE plays the other major role in this. NIKE rarely does things traditional if they have the opportunity. If the entire league was traditional 32 teams across it hurts NIKE. Whether you liked Atlanta's divisive look that came out or not it brings NIKE to the forefront with something different which keeps the brand out front. I have thought for a while the NFL will eventually go the way of college football where teams can wear many combinations and looks as it is an additional revenue source for the league and NIKE.

Let me know your thoughts on this and anything you may have to add

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I would love to add another alternative uniform to the mix and I would be okay with it deviating from the traditional look.

My dumb ideas:

-Zubaz red & blue (not head to toe zubaz, but just small accent segments)

-All Black with red standing buffalo on helmet and red accents

-Throwback Jim Kelly era Blue jerseys with red helmets

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I would love to add another alternative uniform to the mix and I would be okay with it deviating from the traditional look.

My dumb ideas:

-Zubaz red & blue (not head to toe zubaz, but just small accent segments)

-All Black with red standing buffalo on helmet and red accents

-Throwback Jim Kelly era Blue jerseys with red helmets

I have forever wanted a subtle zubaz mix as an alternate. Done properly it would look insanely awesome.

• Agree 1

I’m actually really surprised the NFL doesn’t allow teams to have several jerseys that teams can wear like they can in the NBA, MLB, and even soccer. The NFL only looks for money, and allowing teams to have several jerseys would bring in a lot more money. If the Bills had 5 or 6 different jerseys, you know there would be a lot of people who would go get 5 or 6 Josh Allen jerseys 

• Agree 2

Appreciate a thoughtful and well-contextualized post like this. Would really fit to provide clear-cut NFL uniform rules for the 2023 season, if someone has the energy to find and post (sadly I do not). @corta765 mentions the recent change to the shell rule, which if I understand correctly would allow for an appearance by the red helmets that I loved for so long.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I’m actually really surprised the NFL doesn’t allow teams to have several jerseys that teams can wear like they can in the NBA, MLB, and even soccer. The NFL only looks for money, and allowing teams to have several jerseys would bring in a lot more money. If the Bills had 5 or 6 different jerseys, you know there would be a lot of people who would go get 5 or 6 Josh Allen jerseys 

Wait, not everyone has 5 or 6 Josh Allen jerseys already?

1. Blue

2. Red

3. White

4. Throwback Wyoming 

5. Formal Event Jersey (For fancy events, like going out for wings)

6. High School

I thought this was the basic setup?

• Haha (+1) 3

I am also always intrigued by the NFL uniform changes.  The #nosleevestripes guy has a great point for on-field jerseys, but what he fails to understand (or acknowledge) is that the stripes look good on the retail jerseys sold to consumers that actually do have sleeves.  Without the stripes, those retail jerseys suddenly look like something is missing.

My $.02, anyway…

With respect to the Bills, I’m all for a game or two each season of wearing the 80s/early 90s throwbacks with a red helmet.  Just don’t change the “primary” uniform.

• Agree 4

I would like to see them wear the old 90's throwbacks for a game every season if it's allowed by the league. But to me the Bills uniforms are fine as they are. Just lose the all reds and all blues. Speaking of all blues when did this look become the primary home look. They didn't wear blue over white at home to many times last year. As for the helmet I like the white helmet better than the red one. The charging Buffalo stands out more on the white helmet.  I also wouldn't mind seeing the blue over white throwbacks at some point in the future. It's been a long time since they wore those as well.

• Like (+1) 2

i care much much less about uniforms and such than most here it seems (the color of the collar or how long a stripe continues on the pants or whatever that gets people going, i dont even notice that stuff) -- but the identity of our 2ks drought and that awful awful uniform will forever be etched into my soul.

as long as whatever we trot out in no way shape or form approaches those, i am fully supportive of it.

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

So basically it's all about money, which I find surprising 

Remember when the Browns "updated their color" lol #moneygrab

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Been wanting a total rehaul of the logo and jerseys for a while now. The Bills have had two championship eras coinciding with two different logos/jerseys and it'd be fitting to have an updated look for the new era.

I meant to post the Pegula's have said with both teams they wanted a look that would last and people universally acknowledge as the Bills or Sabres. I think because of this any chance they might do an update in terms of the jersey design or helmet is very limited at best.

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

Remember when the Browns "updated their color" lol #moneygrab

I meant to post the Pegula's have said with both teams they wanted a look that would last and people universally acknowledge as the Bills or Sabres. I think because of this any chance they might do an update in terms of the jersey design or helmet is very limited at best.

I think both the Sabres' and current Bills' uniforms are classic. Teams with good uniforms in the classic mode don't need radical changes. You can make minor alterations over time to keep it fresh, but I prefer that to wholesale changes that cater to contemporary tastes. They almost always fade and what is popular in the moment can look embarrassing down the road. I'm not one of those who hated the Sabres' goathead sweaters, and it makes a nice third jersey, but it is not as good as the classic royal blue and gold. The slug was precisely the kind of thing that the itch for change can produce. The Donahoe era monstrosities were the same on the football side. I personally think the white helmets pop and look much sharper than the red. I understand that some folks have sentimental attachment to the red helmets, but if you believe they are aesthetically superior you're simply wrong -- even though folks say you can't argue tastes. The current helmet is excellent. If they were to go retro, they should go back to the standing buffalo. Yes, it lacks the energy of the logo we stole from Howard University, but it has enduring, understated dignity that will persist a hundred years from now. (I'm in the minority here. That's okay. It's a barbaric age that despises good art and literature, so one must expect the same animosities to thrive in the realm of the sartorial.)

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Because they know the importance of brand integrity. Part of what makes the league successful is their strict adherence to uniform and logo guidelines.

The league does it right, in my opinion.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, MJS said:

Because they know the importance of brand integrity. Part of what makes the league successful is their strict adherence to uniform and logo guidelines.

The league does it right, in my opinion.

In regards to look and brand the NFL is light years ahead of most wall street traded companies. Nike is to blame for some of the messes you see, but the league itself is superb when it comes to the brand for each team.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Interesting account.  

Talk about a hill to die on. I think the sleeve stripes look fine on a lot of those jerseys. Some of them are too large, for sure.

16 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Been wanting a total rehaul of the logo and jerseys for a while now. The Bills have had two championship eras coinciding with two different logos/jerseys and it'd be fitting to have an updated look for the new era.

Maybe a 3rd uniform with a new look but I love our logo and want to see the Bills in that traditional uni forever. 

5 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Maybe a 3rd uniform with a new look but I love our logo and want to see the Bills in that traditional uni forever. 

The problem a lot of teams make is instead of going in moderation like you suggested and just adding a 3rd they rebrand too far and then something creative becomes a long term disaster. I have always liked what the Steelers do with their all black look with just a bit of yellow that is not nearly as traditional but still looks good while unique. 

I think if the Bills could ever figure out a way to subtly add zubaz to a 3rd uni it would be a homerun that sells to the max

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, corta765 said:

The problem a lot of teams make is instead of going in moderation like you suggested and just adding a 3rd they rebrand too far and then something creative becomes a long term disaster. I have always liked what the Steelers do with their all black look with just a bit of yellow that is not nearly as traditional but still looks good while unique. 

I think if the Bills could ever figure out a way to subtly add zubaz to a 3rd uni it would be a homerun that sells to the max

I'd like to see a mock up of that. There must be some clever computer folks that could create a simulacrum.

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'd like to see a mock up of that. There must be some clever computer folks that could create a simulacrum.

Listen if you're going to incorporate zubaz, go full zubaz - make them the most obnoxious jerseys ever!!  Well, maybe second to those awful Steelers throwbacks

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I also dream of the Bills wearing the 90s uniforms with the Red Helmets. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

Listen if you're going to incorporate zubaz, go full zubaz - make them the most obnoxious jerseys ever!!  Well, maybe second to those awful Steelers throwbacks

The bumblebees? No, I think corta765's subtle suggestion might actually work. That's why I'd like to see a mock up. I can easily imagine the loud, so awful some folks find it endearing the way camp scifi is both wretched and weirdly watchable. Nonetheless, I am opposed to that. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

The bumblebees? No, I think corta765's subtle suggestion might actually work. That's why I'd like to see a mock up. I can easily imagine the loud, so awful some folks find it endearing the way camp scifi is both wretched and weirdly watchable. Nonetheless, I am opposed to that. 

God no not the bumblebees! lol They have one that is all black bottom and all black top with just yellow stripes and numbers no white. It looks pretty decent, kind of like a batman football team

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I think both the Sabres' and current Bills' uniforms are classic. Teams with good uniforms in the classic mode don't need radical changes. You can make minor alterations over time to keep it fresh, but I prefer that to wholesale changes that cater to contemporary tastes. They almost always fade and what is popular in the moment can look embarrassing down the road. I'm not one of those who hated the Sabres' goathead sweaters, and it makes a nice third jersey, but it is not as good as the classic royal blue and gold. The slug was precisely the kind of thing that the itch for change can produce. The Donahoe era monstrosities were the same on the football side. I personally think the white helmets pop and look much sharper than the red. I understand that some folks have sentimental attachment to the red helmets, but if you believe they are aesthetically superior you're simply wrong -- even though folks say you can't argue tastes. The current helmet is excellent. If they were to go retro, they should go back to the standing buffalo. Yes, it lacks the energy of the logo we stole from Howard University, but it has enduring, understated dignity that will persist a hundred years from now. (I'm in the minority here. That's okay. It's a barbaric age that despises good art and literature, so one must expect the same animosities to thrive in the realm of the sartorial.)

TLDR!

Haha, kidding, have you seen the length of some (most) of my posts?

7 hours ago, corta765 said:

I don’t know the Buffalo Bills would look like the Arena Football Tampa Bay Storm in the early 1990’s wore the exact same Buffalo Bills color zubaz uniforms already for a year I remember. I am good with the current three Buffalo Bills jerseys and uniform colors in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

The all blues and reds should only be worn once a year (if they insist) to avoid an uptake in macular degeneration in the WNY area.  The all white's on the road are great although my personal preference is white on white with blue socks.

The Sabres went back to the black goathead jerseys and they were great.  Bills should do the same thing with the 90's unis for at least one game.

4 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

TLDR!

Haha, kidding, have you seen the length of some (most) of my posts?

Well, I just perused a few to get a sense of your oeuvre. It appears pretty eclectic. I must say my sister owns several peacock and the great Flannery O'Connor did as well. I'll have to ask sister if they are as annoying as you say.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, colin said:

i care much much less about uniforms and such than most here it seems (the color of the collar or how long a stripe continues on the pants or whatever that gets people going, i dont even notice that stuff) -- but the identity of our 2ks drought and that awful awful uniform will forever be etched into my soul.

as long as whatever we trot out in no way shape or form approaches those, i am fully supportive of it.

Yeah those Losman era jerseys were among the worst of all time. 

Here are some I made....

1.  I don't expect these to be popular...it's major color change and thus departure from longstanding tradition.

2.  I am not the first person to ever have the idea of adopting the Wyoming Cowboys color scheme to the Bills....

3.  Again...not a popular opinion...especially as a fan of rival team...but I kind of think dark brown and maize is a better color scheme fit for a "Buffalo" themed team...

4.  Yes, I know...not alot of originality here...both are Wyoming color scheme rip offs...and one of these is a straight up plagerism of the NDSU Bison logo.  

That said...here they are in the following posts

BillsCowboys.png

CowboyBillsWhite.png

BillsNDSUBrown.png

BillsNDSUWhite.png

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/3/2023 at 10:36 PM, LeGOATski said:

Now that Josh is the new “franchise” I kind of want him to stay in the same uni his whole career…Our current uni’s now represent “The Josh Allen Era…Similar to the old Patriot uni’s representing the Tom Brady Era…👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.