RD 3, Pick 91: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

SDS

13 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Come on Shaw….every single one of these kids (and their parents)just fulfilled a lifelong dream. I’m going to give the commentators a pass on their optimism. Would you prefer they trash them? Every single one of these guys will be saving the DVR clip of this moment for the rest of their lives. 

In this regard, it caught me out when Will Levis was basically ripped apart on Good Morning Football after the first night of the draft. Felt against the usual approach.

• Agree 1

Cam Lynch compares him to Edmunds.   

Honestly, looking at his tape a bit … I see it. 

Obviously doesn’t have the freak size Edmunds has, but he processes, reads and reacts much more instinctually. 

If he can win the MLB, I’m starting to think this guy might be a stud in our defense.    Unlike Edmunds, he plays with bad intentions. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Obviously doesn’t have the freak size Edmunds has, but he processes, reads and reacts much more instinctually. 

If he can win the MLB, I’m starting to think this guy might be a stud in our defense.    Unlike Edmunds, he plays with bad intentions. 

So a guy who plays like he looks like Edmunds that's kind of ironic.

• Like (+1) 1

Whenever I see the two play, I see some different differences in style

For as big as Tremaine Edmunds was you never saw him just lay guys out he more of a get them on the ground type

Dorian Williams plays with his hair on fire at 228 pounds. He uses all of it whenever he hit somebody.

I mean, I would feel much better if he weighed 238 pounds but man take a look at the guy he is already super yoked. Where is the 10 pounds of muscle going to be put?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Could the bills be planning to run more base this year?   Trying to understand the puck still.   

3 hours ago, DJB said:

So are the Sabres 

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Puck off

"And they're dropping their gloves!!! Here they go!!!"

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So a guy who plays like he looks like Edmunds that's kind of ironic.

I'd love if Dorian becomes a player who plays like Edmunds minus the roller skates. And who disengages from blocks. And doesn't arm tackle. And catches the damn ball. And makes impact plays. That would be a terrific player.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldschoolfootball1963 said:

I believe in this pick. I think we just stumbled on another Matt Milano. He has way better instincts then Edmonds. His wing span is of a 6 foot 7 guy. He can blitz, he can cover and he diagnosis plays very quickly unlike Edmonds. To me this is a home run pick. Soon to be one of our best players. 

Just finished watching tape of Williams.  This polarizing pick may very well turn out to be a good selection. At the least he'll be a better pass rusher/blitzer than Edmunds and his instincts do look better too.  The success of Dorian I think will depend on if Sean moves to a base 4-3.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, chongli said:

Well, I am going to reserve judgment, but Nate Geary of WGR doesn't like this pick:

And, of course...no surprise here:

Color me unsurprised that these two nitwits agree.

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Why would you let a post of filthy beast see the light of day that guy doesn’t know jack *****

Could not agree more.  We finally chased this jerk out of here.  No need to be reminded he exists. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

He has the wingspan of Antoine Harrison and is a little longer than Peter Skronski. 

And has a couple of inches of length over Jack Campbell, Steve Avila, John Michael Schmitz and Cody Mauch.

I also think 235lbs is a realistic playing target. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just finished watching tape of Williams.  This polarizing pick may very well turn out to be a good selection. At the least he'll be a better pass rusher/blitzer than Edmunds and his instincts do look better too.  The success of Dorian I think will depend on if Sean moves to a base 4-3.

Im starting to relax a bit too. I was upset at the pick because I watched him pre-draft and he just isn’t going to be a good starting LB right away. He just gets swallowed by blockers and so tries to go around them and misses his gaps at times.

However, he is a natural athlete with real speed and has nearly 34 inch arms. With those tools he can develop into a good player which is probably why initially they said he would be a backup. My biggest concern was not getting a player that could contribute early or backup a more important position (OT, DT, WR, etc) but looking at how the board fell, there were only a few players left that I thought could really help there. What we missed out on wasn’t that great. So this is a play for future upside coming out of a crappy draft. I think it still was not an optimal use of the pick, but I don’t think it is an abject disaster. 

19 hours ago, Rigotz said:

I’ve seen a few people suggest this and the practical implication is that Taron Johnson would not play in base defensive sets. So we’d pay a $10M/yr elite nickel corner to not play.

aint my money.
 McD has always talked about multiples and week to week matchups
I dont mind if a great NCB does not have to see the field 90% of the time.

Whatever it takes to win the day.

Money be damned !!

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, boyst said:

You don't know me. I don't recognize you so I doubt you know anything I've ever said. 

Beans let the dude walk. Pro bowl voters are clueless. It's a popularity contest. The Bears are silly to give him that much. He will never be all pro. He will never be top 5 in his position.

Follow me for more actual football knowledge. It may help you learn some X's and o's but until then. Xxx 😍

Not at all. I've been posting a very long time. I once got flamed for an entire dissertation on linebacker play and how Milano was more important to this team than Edmunds... And I got flamed by many.  This was after Edmunds rookie year.

I need to post more so I can actually have some folks understand my knowledge of X's and o's or just not post at all. 

The Twitter style ***** hot takes posting folks do these days sucks.

Those of us whom have been around respect your knowledge

and your hard head.
I recall the fact based opinion on Matt M

Proved out correct.
Some here know the Xs and Os quite well, and thats where some of the best dialogue comes from :)
and why i love this place

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

aint my money.
 McD has always talked about multiples and week to week matchups
I dont mind if a great NCB does not have to see the field 90% of the time.

Whatever it takes to win the day.

Money be damned !!

Every team in the NFL is in nickel more than 50% of the time. Johnson is a top 4 player on this defense

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.