Day 2 Bills Draft Targets ?

Warriorspikes51

Like I said above, I want OL, I hope/think Beane wants the same, and there are clear candidates for round 2 - Schmitz, Avila, Tippmann, Bergeron, Mauch.

Question for those of you who follow college and actually know something about players :) - are there any OL who you'd be happy with in the 3rd in case we miss out / go another direction in the 2nd?

When looking at the consensus board there are Wypler, Duncan, Freelend, Zavala and Steen in the general area of our pick.

Who would you be happy with?

5 hours ago, mrags said:

How about we trade Knox and Oliver for DHop and #33. 

then draft Washington at 33 and Avila at 59. Then in the 3rd get the best DT that’s there. Benton, Ika, Coburn 

one can dream can’t he 

In all seriousness, I’d say Avila, Bergeron, Schmitz, Mauch, Jones, O’Torrence, Tillman

Knox isnt going anywhere; Kincaid isn't replacing him,more like he will be a slot receiver and allow the Bills to run a 12.

10 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Like I said above, I want OL, I hope/think Beane wants the same, and there are clear candidates for round 2 - Schmitz, Avila, Tippmann, Bergeron, Mauch.

Question for those of you who follow college and actually know something about players :) - are there any OL who you'd be happy with in the 3rd in case we miss out / go another direction in the 2nd?

When looking at the consensus board there are Wypler, Duncan, Freelend, Zavala and Steen in the general area of our pick.

Who would you be happy with?

My guy is Steen. Honestly love his play. He’s thick, strong athletic. He played some left tackle and right. He can play guard. Just a really versatile piece and he’s just really strong. I think he is closer to the Mauch/Bergeron tier of guys. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

My top hopefuls.... in no particular order.

DB Branch

OT:  Harrison, Jones, Bergeron

OG: Torrence, Avila

WR:  Hyatt

LB:  Simpson

OC:  Schmitz, Wyper, Tippman

*If CB Porter or Smith slip all the way down.....  I'm "considering"...  Questions remain if White will ever be back to himself, and Elam is still developing as a ?  Can't have too many CB (but those two are the only I'd consider)

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Yantha said:

My top hopefuls.... in no particular order.

DB Branch

OT:  Harrison, Jones, Bergeron

OG: Torrence, Avila

WR:  Hyatt

LB:  Simpson

OC:  Schmitz, Wyper, Tippman

*If CB Porter or Smith slip all the way down.....  I'm "considering"...  Questions remain if White will ever be back to himself, and Elam is still developing as a ?  Can't have too many CB (but those two are the only I'd consider)

Unfortunately, most of that list will be gone with 27 selections before Bills’ pick.  Hopefully, someone on the OL or Sanders is left.  You can never have enough good corners in today’s NFL and there might be a few good ones left. By late round 2 in this draft, can’t be picky about position, get a good player.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Only 4 picks right now left.  I know they thought the cowboys were taking Kincaid but were they?  A fourth round pick is valuable.  I would be curious to see how the bills had guys graded to justify giving up the fourth but we will never see that.  They need to get a lb today.  

7 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Only 4 picks right now left.  I know they thought the cowboys were taking Kincaid but were they?  A fourth round pick is valuable.  I would be curious to see how the bills had guys graded to justify giving up the fourth but we will never see that.  They need to get a lb today.  

Yes, Cowboys were pissed in the War room and Kincaid had the Cowboys on his initial stack of 4. Beane sniped him from the Cowboys 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yes, Cowboys were pissed in the War room and Kincaid had the Cowboys on his initial stack of 4. Beane sniped him from the Cowboys 

What is a “stack of 4”?  I am on vacation and did not watch.  Is there video of the pissed off cowboys room?

Edited by Matt_In_NH

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My biggest want is Cody Mauch, but I don’t think there is any chance we get him without a sizeable trade up as I expect him to go early in the 2nd.  But you never know, draft has been unpredictable.

Either Simpson or Sanders would be a nice get, or maybe Downs at WR too.  

Branch or Porter Jr also would be sweet, but both should go early in the 2nd.

He reminds me way too much of the last Cody. Leaden footed tackle who you presume "could at least slide inside to guard" if he can't handle the edge. I dunno. If I was a power run team I'd be interested. As a pass first offense that wants to zone block? Not for me.  

22 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

What is a “stack of 4”?  I am on vacation and did not watch.  Is there video of the pissed off cowboys room?

He had all the teams hats behind him(Kincaid) and he had them stacked in 4 groups of 8. The teams at the top of each of the 4 stacks were Dallas, Cinci, Green Bay, and The Chargers . I don’t believe so but McCarthy was quite animated 

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He reminds me way too much of the last Cody. Leaden footed tackle who you presume "could at least slide inside to guard" if he can't handle the edge. I dunno. If I was a power run team I'd be interested. As a pass first offense that wants to zone block? Not for me.  

yeah I am with this. I would much rather have Avila or Bergeron and it isn't close. 

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Jacqueline, Roy or Keanu Benton would be a good get tomorrow or should I say this today

Zach Pickens too. I think they really like him. I would add Gervon Dexter as well. Maybe that's more of a third round move, but I'm sure boards are all over the place today. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

31 minutes ago, MWK said:

Dexter or Benton will be the pick. Beane can't resist using second rounders on D-Line. Sanders or Simpson would be ideal but they are not falling to us at 59. 

I think there is a chance one of those guys is there at 59, or at least close enough for a trade up. I think we are going to see a massive run on OL and secondary guys. JMO. 

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think there is a chance one of those guys is there at 59, or at least close enough for a trade up. I think we are going to see a massive run on OL and secondary guys. JMO. 

I agree re: OL.  2nd OL run is coming.  Hopefully could be offset if someone wants Mayer, Levis and Hooker.  Otherwise we may need to trade up for Bergeruon or Avila. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I agree re: OL.  2nd OL run is coming.  Hopefully could be offset if someone wants Mayer, Levis and Hooker.  Otherwise we may need to trade up for Bergeruon or Avila. 

I don’t see a ton of teams in the top 10 picks of round 2 that would prioritize that as it’s not their largest needs. Could they take one sure but I’m on pick 40 and the only OL guy I have going is Torrence. In the middle of round 2 40-50 is where it gets more tricky to me 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You’ve watched more film on him than I have, so I’ll say my biggest attraction to him is as a mauler in the run game.  But I can’t vouch for his overall fit here, like i said you would be a better judge of that than me.  I just want to add some toughness for those bad weather games where we need to smash in the trenches.  

So if not Cody, who do you think would be a good fit here in the second in terms of OL fit?  

Personally, I think if either of the 2 LBs Sanders or Simpson makes it to 59, that would be our most likely pick over OL, I’m just not confident they will.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You’ve watched more film on him than I have, so I’ll say my biggest attraction to him is as a mauler in the run game.  But I can’t vouch for his overall fit here, like i said you would be a better judge of that than me.  I just want to add some toughness for those bad weather games where we need to smash in the trenches.  

So if not Cody, who do you think would be a good fit here in the second in terms of OL fit?  

Personally, I think if either of the 2 LBs Sanders or Simpson makes it to 59, that would be our most likely pick over OL, I’m just not confident they will.

I mean if you have to go OL there isn't likely to be anything I like at tackle 'cos Bergeron will be long gone and then its all IOL - Schmitz, Torrence, Avila, Tippman are my next 4 (excluding the unfortunate Vorhees for injury reasons). Mauch is my next best grade after that group but I'm just not sure about him here. If I was the Titans or someone, the Falcons, maybe the Bears.... I'd be more inclined to do it. 

It is worth saying the Bills are 27 picks away and I only have 19 2nd round grades remaining (well actually 16 2nd round grades plus 2 1sts and a 1st/2nd borderline) plus 5 2nd/3rd borderline. And that is what I have talked about all spring. The 2nd round isn't super shallow, but it isn't 'deep' either and because the first round was super shallow in terms of true 1st round grades half of your 2nd round was always going to be wiped out on day 1.

It's a bit of a bummer that we don't have our 4th because I think that is the sweet spot for IOL value and you could get a guy there who maybe won't start as a rookie but could well be ready to take a starting job in 2024.

There are just so many ways this round could play out. We saw it in the two board mocks we did here. The first time around the value remaining was at edge.... (we let FAU get to mid third round!) the second time we did it the value at #59 was at defensive back. There is a scenario where it is at receiver too let's see how much teams like these second and third tier receiver prospects after being a tad gun shy on the first tier. Just so hard to guess. Last year the receivers flew on day 2, but that was a better 2nd and 3rd tier than this. Was DBs where the value was at the back of the 2nd last year. The Bills traded down a couple of times to take Cook who was a high 3rd rounder on their board. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean if you have to go OL there isn't likely to be anything I like at tackle 'cos Bergeron will be long gone and then its all IOL - Schmitz, Torrence, Avila, Tippman are my next 4 (excluding the unfortunate Vorhees for injury reasons). Mauch is my next best grade after that group but I'm just not sure about him here. If I was the Titans or someone, the Falcons, maybe the Bears.... I'd be more inclined to do it. 

It is worth saying the Bills are 27 picks away and I only have 19 2nd round grades remaining (well actually 16 2nd round grades plus 2 1sts and a 1st/2nd borderline) plus 5 2nd/3rd borderline. And that is what I have talked about all spring. The 2nd round isn't super shallow, but it isn't 'deep' either and because the first round was super shallow in terms of true 1st round grades half of your 2nd round was always going to be wiped out on day 1.

It's a bit of a bummer that we don't have our 4th because I think that is the sweet spot for IOL value and you could get a guy there who maybe won't start as a rookie but could well be ready to take a starting job in 2024.

There are just so many ways this round could play out. We saw it in the two board mocks we did here. The first time around the value remaining was at edge.... (we let FAU get to mid third round!) the second time we did it the value at #59 was at defensive back. There is a scenario where it is at receiver too let's see how much teams like these second and third tier receiver prospects after being a tad gun shy on the first tier. Just so hard to guess. Last year the receivers flew on day 2, but that was a better 2nd and 3rd tier than this. Was DBs where the value was at the back of the 2nd last year. The Bills traded down a couple of times to take Cook who was a high 3rd rounder on their board. 

I think Beane is going to try and trade down again if he doesn’t see the value.  He had a trade down in place if Kincaid was gone because he said no one else had a first round grade.  

So I could see maybe a trade down to try and recoup a fourth depending on how big of a move it would be.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Thing is that even though you have only 19 2nd round grades and there are 27 picks in front of us I can all but guarantee that teams will be all over the place as usual and my guess is that there will be at least 5-7 players with your 2nd round grade available when we pick. There will be plenty to choose from.

I agree that not having that 4th sucks big time but from different reason - we lost our ability to trade up in the 2nd for one of OL guys, which was my preference (and Beane's preference imo). Now we have to hope one of them slides.

Anyway, do you see ANY OL value in the 3rd round in case we miss out in 2nd? Anyone who you would be content with?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

Thing is that even though you have only 19 2nd round grades and there are 27 picks in front of us I can all but guarantee that teams will be all over the place as usual and my guess is that there will be at least 5-7 players with your 2nd round grade available when we pick. There will be plenty to choose from.

I agree that not having that 4th sucks big time but from different reason - we lost our ability to trade up in the 2nd for one of OL guys, which was my preference (and Beane's preference imo). Now we have to hope one of them slides.

Anyway, do you see ANY OL value in the 3rd round in case we miss out in 2nd? Anyone who you would be content with?

I have Tyler Steen there. I like him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

For me if Simpson or Sanders are available you take them. If they go early today, you pivot to the best OL or DT on the board, and there should be some solid options at 59. 

That said, if somehow someway Hyatt is sitting there at 59 it would be hard to resist. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Yep, I know, duly noted. But as a judge, I also need to hear other side's opinion :)

Oh sorry I did not realize that I responded to the same person! lol my bad. 

These darn interwebs are so confusing

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I have Tyler Steen there. I like him. 

So I have Steen in the 4th. The third is a bit thin for OL value to me. Zavala at guard. Possibly Jaelyn Duncan as a tackle / guard flex guy and Saldiveri too. Ekiyor in that range too but not sure I love him as a Bills fit either. Braeden Daniels I have a 3rd/4th borderline on if we need more Utah guys.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TOboy said:

For me if Simpson or Sanders are available you take them. If they go early today, you pivot to the best OL or DT on the board, and there should be some solid options at 59. 

That said, if somehow someway Hyatt is sitting there at 59 it would be hard to resist. 

If Hyatt makes it to late 40's-early 50's, I'd offer a 2024 4th and 7th to move up 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.