RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

21 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

He's a glorified WR. Those cuts are insane at his size. 

Yeah that last clip from Sal shows off his skill set. Speed on the release, sharp cut in, catch the ball and continue running upfield in one fluid motion. I haven't been this excited about a Bills rookie in at least the last decade.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah that last clip from Sal shows off his skill set. Speed on the release, sharp cut in, catch the ball and continue running upfield in one fluid motion. I haven't been this excited about a Bills rookie in at least the last decade.

Not even Allen? I know he started out rough but he definitely showed promise.

19 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I confess I hated the Josh Allen pick at the time so I was a little more apprehensive about him as a rookie. Kincaid I feel is a sure thing and can take this offense to another level. Every year I have one or two draft crushes that I don't really expect to be there when we pick. Kincaid is the first time I can remember that my draft crush fell to us and we took him.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I can understand the mindset.   I was more excited about Kincaid a week after the draft than I was Allen.  At that time,  Allen  was a massive gamble.  Oh he is inaccurate, from a small school blah blah blah.  I really got excited re Allen after an incredible TD pass he completed in preseason versus Carolina? threading the needle between two defenders  a pass very very few NFL QBs could complete.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I confess I hated the Josh Allen pick at the time so I was a little more apprehensive about him as a rookie. Kincaid I feel is a sure thing and can take this offense to another level. Every year I have one or two draft crushes that I don't really expect to be there when we pick. Kincaid is the first time I can remember that my draft crush fell to us and we took him.

That definitely makes sense. I don't follow college much, so when I see people like you so excited for a player like Kincaid, it gets me pumped. I really hope he tears up the middle of the field for us. His route running looks really smooth.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I find myself trying to temper my emotions and expectations, but he sure looks special. He’s just so fluid and makes it look so easy. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I can understand the mindset.   I was more excited about Kincaid a week after the draft than I was Allen.  At that time,  Allen  was a massive gamble.  Oh he is inaccurate, from a small school blah blah blah.  I really got excited re Allen after an incredible TD pass he completed in preseason versus Carolina? threading the needle between two defenders  a pass very very few NFL QBs could complete.

Allen was considered a massive gamble only by talking head pundits spewing nonsense about an arbitrary 60% completion threshold and how nobody with his college numbers ever made it in the NFL. And people just ran with that narrative as if it were gospel. 

But NFL scouts and GMs never considered him a “massive gamble” in the least. After his 2016 college season, he had cemented himself as a future top 10 pick in the draft. They were able to review every pass attempt at Wyoming and break it down in detail, including with input from his coaches. Why? To add the context necessary to make a more informed analysis. Taking head pundits simply lack the time and resources necessary to vet prospects to that level of scrutiny. Especially QBs prospects, which are the most difficult to project. 

That’s just those aspects that pertain to his physical ability to succeed. Allen’s aptitude for the position, from both a schematic and leadership ability standpoint was off the charts. Something, again, his critics weren’t privy to. He blew people away with his recall ability and whiteboard breakdowns. Daboll said he never saw anyone like him when it came to that mental aspect. I’ve heard that echoed by a few others as well. 

The only real concern about Allen was his sheer inexperience at the position as he didn’t attend elite QB camps since middle school nor make it his singular focus in high school. But everyone agreed that could be mitigated with time in a pro system with pro coaches learning the intricacies of the position. As it turned out he wasn’t afforded the time and instead was forced to start much sooner than hope for. And his progression speaks well of all the things the scouts and GMs got right before he was drafted. 

Lucky us.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.