The Bills never got anything for Edmunds. Will that happen again with Oliver?

Tipster19

I didn’t agree or liked that the Bills traded up in the 1st rd for Edmunds and then just let him walk without receiving some kind of compensation for him. Now there’s Oliver and as far as I can tell there’s been no movement with him on a new contract. I think it’s crazy that a team would invest a 1st rd pick and then they don’t extend him or get anything back for him. A player and/or a first rd pick, these are assets. There’s times that I think that Beane isn’t too shrewd with the Pegulas’ money. I don’t believe that the Bills are going to extend Oliver and I’m ok with that but man get some kind of return for him, don’t just let him walk, the guy was the 9th overall pick for Pete’s sakes! If they already know that they’re not going to keep him then please trade him for something! If they do then hopefully they trade him during the draft so they can improve their 1st rd pick for a good player.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I didn’t agree or liked that the Bills traded up in the 1st rd for Edmunds and then just let him walk without receiving some kind of compensation for him. Now there’s Oliver and as far as I can tell there’s been no movement with him on a new contract. I think it’s crazy that a team would invest a 1st rd pick and then they don’t extend him or get anything back for him. A player and/or a first rd pick, these are assets. There’s times that I think that Beane isn’t too shrewd with the Pegulas’ money. I don’t believe that the Bills are going to extend Oliver and I’m ok with that but man get some kind of return for him, don’t just let him walk, the guy was the 9th overall pick for Pete’s sakes! If they already know that they’re not going to keep him then please trade him for something! If they do then hopefully they trade him during the draft so they can improve their 1st rd pick for a good player.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/29/buffalo-bills-gain-compensatory-pick-2024-nfl-draft-tremaine-edmunds/

Have you checked encyclopedia Google?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

How much value does Oliver carry when considering he hasn’t been elite, and is also going to get a hefty contract extension? 
Best case scenario if you want draft compensation is for Oliver to ball out this year, boost his value so he gets a monster DT contract in free agency next year. That comp pick is probably higher than anything you’d get for him right now. It’s not like Buffalo is going to be spending much in free agency for the foreseeable future 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The Bills got several seasons of high volume play on a cheap rookie contract and will likely recoup a 3rd round pick in the trade in. While it's always more optimal for you to hit on your 1st rounders and see them get a second contract with your team...that really isn't bad value for what they got. Had Edmunds signed a low ball 1 year prove it deal and there was no 3rd rounder coming back...then yeah I'd see your point. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

And the 5th year of decent LB play.

In what was supposed to be a Championship chasing year in the prime of Josh’s career…. 

13 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I don’t believe that the Bills are going to extend Oliver and I’m ok with that but man get some kind of return for him, don’t just let him walk, the guy was the 9th overall pick for Pete’s sakes! If they already know that they’re not going to keep him then please trade him for something! If they do then hopefully they trade him during the draft so they can improve their 1st rd pick for a good player.

What return do you expect to get for him?  Fourth round at best?  

On the flip side, he will be highly motivated to play for his new contract next season … and then the Bills can get a comp pick when he leaves ..

its also a position that the Bills don’t have a lot of depth in at that moment… 

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I think he meant trying to trade him before letting him walk in free agency which is a faulty premise because no team is going to trade anything for a player that hits free agency in 2 months.  

The Bills couldn’t re-sign him for his market price… they were better off letting him walk for a 3rd

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I think he meant trying to trade him before letting him walk in free agency which is a faulty premise because no team is going to trade anything for a player that hits free agency in 2 months.  

The Bills couldn’t re-sign him for his market price… they were better off letting him walk for a 3rd

It’s a faulty premise because you can’t trade a player after the trade deadline. Some teams agree to trades at the tail end of the league season, but those trades can’t be finalized and executed until after the new season officially begins. The players involved obviously have to be under contract for the new season, which Edmunds wasn’t. 

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

How much value does Oliver carry when considering he hasn’t been elite, and is also going to get a hefty contract extension? 
Best case scenario if you want draft compensation is for Oliver to ball out this year, boost his value so he gets a monster DT contract in free agency next year. That comp pick is probably higher than anything you’d get for him right now. It’s not like Buffalo is going to be spending much in free agency for the foreseeable future 

He’s also been better than Quinnen Williams 3 out of 4 years playing in a rotation 

Williams AV … 5, 6, 6, 17

Oliver AV…. 6, 8, 10, 7

Ed has been steady but also banged up which hurt his production and the rotation

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

Most likely a comp pick.

We wouldn't get the trade value that we believe is worth it to pull the trigger this year and at the end of the day he is still the best Interior D Lineman we have.  No need to create another hole when the trade value most likely isn't worth the squeeze.

this post is naive for a few reasons.  At the end of five years you are what you are and the place you were drafted has no meaning.  Show a team that does not let guys go…waiting.  You cannot sign everyone.  The bills will get a third round pick for edmunds.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.