Cole Beasley tweets

Buffalo_Stampede

You cannot argue against what he says, in my view.

Little Dirty was a complete bust, the opposite of Beasley as far as route running, separation, and sure hands.  I think not having a slot receiver last year was a huge blow to the Bills' chances. Instead of the almost 100% confidence Allen had in Beasley, he likely had almost none that McKenzie would get open or make the catch.

Shakir may have been able to be that guy last year if we had an OC capable of seeing the forest through the trees.  But now we don't even know that, as he was never given the opportunity.

Beasley should absolutely be in camp this year and during the pre-season.  The Bills need to see if he can still be that guy who improves Allen and the team.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beasley has been done since the middle of 2021. The numbers prove it. He hit the wall in the middle of that season and his production dropped off significantly. I'm not a Beasley hater, I appreciate what he did for the Bills and he was important in Allen's development, but they cut him because he couldn't produce at the level required any longer. Nor could he when he came back. Nor would he suddenly now. 

He is done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

Well, I have to respect his mindset and belief in himself. It's actually pretty common for an athlete to be the last one to know when his time is up, however. I'm sure he can still see himself making plays in his mind. Especially coming from a guy that has been told over and over that he can't do it. This is where he's always proven the critics wrong.

But simply put he's not that guy anymore. He may have been the most productive slot WR the Bills ever had. But that was a couple years back and time marches on. 

The only issue at slot right now is that it is an uncertain position. Shakir? Harty? Sheffield? A rookie? We don't know WHAT we have there. However there is good reason to be hopeful that one of those guys steps into a meaningful role and can at least come near matching what the 2020 version of Beasley was able to do. 

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think some of you grossly underestimate how big of a change that would be.  NFL Offensive Coordinators are not known for just scrapping their entire offensive style and moving to a totally different offense design in an off season.  Usually the team just fires the OC and then goes and hires the OC that runs the system they want to change to who has proven success running that style of offense.

If we had a good 2nd TE, would we incorporate some more 2 TE sets...sure...but to expect its going to be a main focal point is a bit unrealistic.  

And I will point this out again to everyone so keen on running a heavy dose of 12 personnel...no team has ever won the SB building its offense off 12 personnel and 2 TE sets.

i was wondering if this was a joke or a fishing attempt.

New england, who ran the same general system (erhardt perkins) built their 18 year dynasty with a large dose of two tight ends.

we don't have to trot out the ghosts of graham and watson next season, but a big part of the EP offense is match up problems.  having a two tight end set w some of the weapons we have and allen can be a huge match up nightmare for opponents, so ya i think we absolutely could run more heavy 2 te sets and pass or run out of it.

it would also be a big help w blocking and in the red zone.

it doesnt' have to be half our snaps, but we currently don't have two nfl TEs on our roster, so adding one makes two TE sets something we can add.

Forget whether he's done or not.  Forget how good he was or might still be.  Just ask yourself how many other Bills tweet like this.  Answer:  None.  

Beasley doesn't fit in.  He has a tendency to become an irritant way beyond his value.  It just isn't the Bills way.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

The type of fan/consumer who calls a person they never met a "POS" is one who ought to re-evaluate their own world view.

He's clearly a POS teammate.  I'm sure he's a great son, father, and husband.  Don't get all deep on this.  

You never throw teammates under the bus.  Never.  He worked shoulder to shoulder with Davis, Shakir, Mackenzie, Crowder, and Diggs.....  Everyone woking their tails off day in and day out.  

This guy.....  Sorry but agree to disagree....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Beasley has been done since the middle of 2021. The numbers prove it. He hit the wall in the middle of that season and his production dropped off significantly. I'm not a Beasley hater, I appreciate what he did for the Bills and he was important in Allen's development, but they cut him because he couldn't produce at the level required any longer. Nor could he when he came back. Nor would he suddenly now. 

He is done. 

It’s mind-boggling how people here are talking like he’s still Cole Beasley during his All-Pro season from 2020!  Are we sure he’s a better slot than Shakir or Harty?

You are spot on about his decline physically toward the end of the 2021 season.  His receptions and yards per reception all dropped.  The lack of interest in him during most of the 2022 season is an indicator of how teams view him.  

He still is smart and can find openings but lack of explosiveness make it harder to get there.   IMO this is what he wasn’t much of a factor in Buffalo last season.  

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He is done. 

To be fair to Beasley, that drop-off did coincide with having his ribs broken on Halloween. 

On the other hand, instead of allowing them to heal, he kept playing and they bothered him all season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Are you expecting 12 personnel? 

I'm actually expecting more 21 personnel actually.

There really ought to be a reason that the Bills have focused so hard on acquiring RBs who can run routes and catch passes in Cook and Harty

All the moves the Bills have made say "we're planning an offense around small fast nimble guys"

I'm not sure Dorsey knows how to use a TE effectively, though having Knox chip all the time may be part of it, and Olsen was a big part of the Panthers O when Dorsey was in Carolina.

10 hours ago, JohnNord said:

You sure he’d be the best? 

On the current Bills team?  In terms of demonstrated performance, Yes.

But look at who he'd be beating out -

-Harty, who had 2 whole targets last season, and who had 36 receptions for 570 yds in 2021 while playing 13 games

-Shakir, who, contrary to the opinion of some fans that he was being "coddled" or unacountably kept off the field for no reason, was given chances to show what he could do and who showed he couldn't read a zone D reliably and get open last season.  Some people think he may lack the necessary quickness as a slot, I dunno.

-Sherfield, last year by far his best, 30 receptions for 417 yds in 17 games

It's possible any or all of them might take a step in this offense with Josh throwing to them, but it's also possible they won't be able to take that step

Just as McKenzie wasn't able to take as much of a step as the Bills (and fans) wanted from him.  McKenzie still had more receptions and more 1D than any of the current slot candidates.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm actually expecting more 21 personnel actually.

There really ought to be a reason that the Bills have focused so hard on acquiring RBs who can run routes and catch passes in Cook and Harty

All the moves the Bills have made say "we're planning an offense around small fast nimble guys"

I'm not sure Dorsey knows how to use a TE effectively, though having Knox chip all the time may be part of it, and Olsen was a big part of the Panthers O when Dorsey was in Carolina.

That would be interesting. However, it seems to me if you are going that direction, you better have a solid oline and I'm dubious we qualify yet even if one is optimistic about the FA signings at guard. (I've been imagining 12 personnel with a player like Washington aiding the oline with his superior blocking.)

15 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Jamison Crowder not getting hurt is like the sun not setting in the West.

Not sure why you’re laughing at a guy that was clearly an important piece in a two decade long wait for relevancy.

Just like the Kelly era, That time is past, we have moved on, Cole is no longer relevant. 

That some here feel that a slot receiver that was on the team for a short period of time, and is now thoroughly washed, is some how relevant as the team sits at present is just silly.

Cole had his moment in the sun, but that moment is in the past, and no longer a working part of the Buffalo bills. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Dislike 1

16 hours ago, BananaB said:

Did Gabe and Lil Dirty even combine the 80+ receptions we lost when Beas left. Sure the yards and TDs went down but the completions helps you move chains. 

McKittrick had 42 catches for 27 FD's, Gabe had 48 catches for 35 FD's.  Beas has 82 catches for only 34 FD's.  So 8 more receptions, 28 more FD's (almost double), and both way higher FD %age.  They more than made up for the "loss" of Beasley.

• Eyeroll 1

31 minutes ago, General Soreness said:

Wrong.

Josh wanted him back last year and even openly campaigned for the route trees that other WR couldn’t run (from 2021) be brought back for Beasley.

Zero interest in free agency last year. Signs with the Bucs practice squad in September. Retires in October. Bills wanted him so bad that they signed him in week 15 to their practice squad. He caught what like six passes? 

Zero interest in free agency this year. The Bills gave his number to Deonte Harty. 

So where is the demand for his services? 

20 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

McKittrick had 42 catches for 27 FD's, Gabe had 48 catches for 35 FD's.  Beas has 82 catches for only 34 FD's.  So 8 more receptions, 28 more FD's (almost double), and both way higher FD %age.  They more than made up for the "loss" of Beasley.

McKittrick does not play for Bills. However how many more drops did MCKENZIE  and Davis have?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Zero interest from teams last year?

You know this how?

He was very selective he said.

Him not getting playing time and/or targets was on Dorsey, just like the lack of targets Cook, Hines & Knox got. 

Don’t pat Beane on the head for his FA choices this off-season just yet. 

2022…Saffold, OJ Howard, Crowder, Quessenberry, Settle…

The oft injured Phillips was so-so.

In the win column Jones, Lawson …maybe other minor ones I’m not mentioning.

9 minutes ago, General Soreness said:

Zero interest from teams last year?

You know this how?

He was very selective he said.

Him not getting playing time and/or targets was on Dorsey, just like the lack of targets Cook, Hines & Knox got. 

How do you know he is telling the truth? We can both play that game. "Selective" is what people/agents say when there is no interest. 

If anybody offered him real money he would have gone. Anyone actually think Tremaine wants to go to the Bears? The point is that, other than practice squad type deals, no one was offering Beasley anything of any significance, otherwise he would have went there. 

He has a lot to say, but he is still sitting on his couch like us. The league is 48 hours away from being infused with probably like 50-75 guys at the position who are younger with upside. He's toast. If anybody wanted him, he'd be signed by now. If Josh really wanted him, he would be back here. 

• Agree 1

I think there’s been a few other receivers Josh wanted here right?

…but they’re not.

Beasley wasn’t/isn’t going anywhere where there wasn’t a real shot at a SB.

He wasn’t/isn’t going anywhere where his family didn't want to be.

Then those competitive teams have to have a need…obviously.

Regardless, I’d rather Cook line up in the slot often or out wide and get way more targets. Arguably the most explosive player we have.

We’ll see if they use him as an important piece to make this offense high powered like it needs to be.

It seems Shakir can play too. 

The oft injured Harty…hopefully he can stay on the field and do great things.

So many on this board were adamant we didn’t need Beasley in 2022.

How’d that work out?

Since they’ve chosen to replace him again in 2023, it doesn’t mean he can’t play, or that the new slot/slots become almost a guaranteed 1st down on 3rd down, either.

For the teams’ sake, I hope they find someone that exceeds Beasley’s past production. 

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

On the current Bills team?  In terms of demonstrated performance, Yes.

But look at who he'd be beating out -

-Harty, who had 2 whole targets last season, and who had 36 receptions for 570 yds in 2021 while playing 13 games

-Shakir, who, contrary to the opinion of some fans that he was being "coddled" or unacountably kept off the field for no reason, was given chances to show what he could do and who showed he couldn't read a zone D reliably and get open last season.  Some people think he may lack the necessary quickness as a slot, I dunno.

-Sherfield, last year by far his best, 30 receptions for 417 yds in 17 games

It's possible any or all of them might take a step in this offense with Josh throwing to them, but it's also possible they won't be able to take that step

Just as McKenzie wasn't able to take as much of a step as the Bills (and fans) wanted from him.  McKenzie still had more receptions and more 1D than any of the current slot candidates.

That's a whole lotta words to basically say "We don't know what we have yet"

Demonstrated performance from 2 years ago is a wild concept. Cole Beasley in 2023 is not likely the same player he was in 2020 and early 2021. That's like saying Shady McCoy should be brought back because he demonstrated that he played better a few years back than Cook and Harris did last year.

If we want to talk most recent performance, Did Cole Beasley make the Buffalo Bills a better football team last year? What was his impact? My short form answers to those questions are "No and NONE". 

Also, honest question here on something you bring up about Shakir. I was under the impression that the book on him was actually the opposite. He excelled against zone but struggled getting separation against man coverage? I actually though most of his played he did make last year were against zone concepts. Is there some information that you have read/seen that contradicts that and if so, could you either link or let me know where to find that info? Not calling you out or anything...I would just be interested in seeing what you are with Shakir.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Getting good now.

he’s solid I’m pro bease but he was hurt his final year and just not up to speed last year. I say go with some young blood but I wouldn’t mind him being on PS around the team and ready to be brought up if an injury happens 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, noacls said:

McKittrick does not play for Bills. However how many more drops did MCKENZIE  and Davis have?

Beas had two receptions for no first downs last year.  Depending on the list you look at, Davis had 7, Diggs had 6, Knox had 5, and McKittrick (popular nickname, from an allegedly drunken post when he joined the team) had 4.  What's your point, that Beas was valuable because he had less catches than they had drops?

All of tweeting, rapping, Covid crap aside, Beasley was a great slot receiver in his prime.  Unfortunately, he's no longer in his prime.  He had some opportunities with the Bucs and Bills last season and they didn't amount to much.  I suspect he would be playing this upcoming season (and/or will play) if he gets a decent offer from a team.  He may have earned enough money so far in his career that it's not worth putting his body on the line for league minimum or practice squad money, but I really don't know his personal situation.

1 hour ago, General Soreness said:

I think there’s been a few other receivers Josh wanted here right?

…but they’re not.

Beasley wasn’t/isn’t going anywhere where there wasn’t a real shot at a SB.

He wasn’t/isn’t going anywhere where his family didn't want to be.

Then those competitive teams have to have a need…obviously.

So many on this board were adamant we didn’t need Beasley in 2022.

How’d that work out?

Since they’ve chosen to replace him again in 2023, it doesn’t mean he can’t play, or that the new slot/slots become almost a guaranteed 1st down on 3rd down, either.

I think it's obvious that they could get Beasley signed to another league minimum deal and if Josh really wanted it that bad, I am sure they would make it happen. but he's at home. 

You're telling me, if some bottom feeding team like the Bears, Falcons, Colts, Texans, offered him the Darius Slayton 2/12 million contract he would turn it down? That's a slightly below average salary. I highly doubt he would turn that down and highly doubt anyone would offer him that. He would sprint to sign that contract, unless he really wants to retire.  

Also, I agree that the fact that they have chosen to replace him again doesn't mean he can't play....It means they don't want him...which is my point. 

And if no one wants him, it means he can't play. 

6 minutes ago, General Soreness said:

Yep they want to fight the guy bc of their personal feelings and can’t just watch him for what he did on the field. Then he chirps back and he’s an a hole just leave him alone 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.