The Shopping Cart Theory Revisited

T&C

Oddly, I pride myself on being a net positive on cart return. I’ll grab one in the corral for a test drive in, or better yet find someone who just finished emptying it and offering to save them the trip or the guilt of a less than ideal disposal. That always gets a warm thank you. 

EDIT: I just realized the article was about moral character. Never mind. I’m screwed there!  😂 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

I return mine to the corral. Unless I'm at Aldi's, then it goes back to the store entrance, cause I want my 25 cents back! 

I get an empty box at Aldi and just walk around getting whatever. Shopping carts all over the lot... I just grab one and hand it over to someone heading into the store. A quarter isn't a big deal anymore.

2 hours ago, T&C said:

I still return them when able to. Are you lazy and don't?

https://mediachomp.com/the-shopping-cart-theory-determines-moral-character/

My closest supermarket puts their cart corrals at the outer limits of the parking lot. It's closer to bring them back in the store.

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My closest supermarket puts their cart corrals at the outer limits of the parking lot. It's closer to bring them back in the store.

I don't know what this means tbh...

I used to be a launcher. Now in my middle ages I simply take it to a corral. 

There are self-serving reasons for returning carts though. One is that your choice could be observed by friends or acquaintances and that your choice will impact their opinion of your character. A second is that by returning the cart you are enforcing the social norm of doing so, thus decreasing the chances of the wind blowing a cart into the side of your new Porsche.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

There are self-serving reasons for returning carts though. One is that your choice could be observed by friends or acquaintances and that your choice will impact their opinion of your character. A second is that by returning the cart you are enforcing the social norm of doing so, thus decreasing the chances of the wind blowing a cart into the side of your new Porsche.

:thumbsup:

Someday, I hope most people will realize that every act of altruism is self-serving in one way or another. And I mean that in an entirely secular sense, as in the bolded part of your comment.

Pay it forward, and eventually, it'll come back.

• Agree 3

43 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

:thumbsup:

Someday, I hope most people will realize that every act of altruism is self-serving in one way or another. And I mean that in an entirely secular sense, as in the bolded part of your comment.

Pay it forward, and eventually, it'll come back.

That’s the truth.

23 hours ago, T&C said:

I don't know what this means tbh...

The supermarket I shop at most, because it's closest, puts their cart corrals really really far away. So far, that it's a shorter walk to take the cart back into the store.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The supermarket I shop at most, because it's closest, puts their cart corrals really really far away. So far, that it's a shorter walk to take the cart back into the store.

One thing I've noticed is that people from CT. call carts carriages....

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 2:51 PM, Doc said:

I don't return them.  Because if everyone did it, someone would lose his/her job.

As a former cart pusher, thank you.  I never minded going all over the lot collecting carts, because it meant less time in the store dealing with customers. 

On 4/24/2023 at 7:23 PM, T&C said:

One thing I've noticed is that people from CT. call carts carriages....

On 4/24/2023 at 7:32 PM, DrW said:

Here is Texas they are called "baskets".

I've heard trollies and buggies also. 

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Just Jack said:

As a former cart pusher, thank you.  I never minded going all over the lot collecting carts, because it meant less time in the store dealing with customers. 

I've heard trollies and buggies also. 

I worked one summer at the Tops market on Bailey and you are 100% correct. 

Shagging carts was the best part of that job by far.  As opposed to "clean-up call on Aisle 6" which always turned out to be toddler puke, or worse...

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/23/2023 at 9:16 PM, f0neguy said:

I honestly can’t figure out why every store doesn’t do the quarter thing like Aldi.  On the rare occasion that I use a cart, I put it back in the corral.

Because it's a pain in the ass if you don't carry change around.

On 5/6/2023 at 11:38 AM, Pete said:

True- I used to live in CT

They are buggies in Pittsburgh 

On 4/23/2023 at 9:16 PM, f0neguy said:

I honestly can’t figure out why every store doesn’t do the quarter thing like Aldi.  On the rare occasion that I use a cart, I put it back in the corral.

I would never go to a store that includes that little hassle over a quarter. I just paid too much for my groceries at Publix. They can afford to pay someone to come out and return the carts.

I rarely use the corrals since I’m in the store at least 5 times a week and can easily carry my purchases to the car without taking the cart with me. I’m more likely to take a cart TO the store than away, but the bit of holding me hostage for a quarter is not a game I want to play. 

On 5/5/2023 at 11:26 AM, Just Jack said:

On a nice day that would be a treat. I would love the time out walking around doing my thing without being bothered. 

If it’s 40 degrees and raining, I’d rather stock shelves or clean the bathroom. 

13 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Because it's a pain in the ass if you don't carry change around.

Ask anyone that goes to Aldi regularly if they have an Aldi quarter in their vehicle and I’ll bet more than 90% will say yes. 

Edited by Just Jack

39 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Ask anyone that goes to Aldi regularly if they have an Aldi quarter in their vehicle and I’ll bet more than 90% will say yes. 

Count me in the ten percent that never uses cash for anything so I never have change.

I used to shop at a store that had the quarter thing, I forget which one. Maybe a Giant Eagle back in the day. I hated it then and I won't do it now. I'll shop somewhere else.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.