Which NFL player did you think was going to be good but turned out to be a bust?

Magox

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I swear this board has some kind of fetish for undersized white slot receivers 

Not sure I know what you are talking about but Isabella had speed in the 4.3’s who was highly productive in college.  I thought he was going to be a really good slot WR.

For the bills: cj spiller, I guess he's not a "bust" per say but I thought he was going to be the future at RB.

For NFL: there's so many but I remember thinking the broncos got an absolute steal with Montee Ball. I told my friends that are broncos fans that that was the steal of the draft. I was wrong.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Too many to list

Me too.  I’ll go with one that randomly popped to mind.  Grant Delpit.  Maybe it’s a little early to say bust bur I thought he’d be a big time star.

The fact that by page 3 no one has mentioned Andrew Luck shows that groupthink and  denial are powerful forces.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Magox said:

Not sure I know what you are talking about but Isabella had speed in the 4.3’s who was highly productive in college.  I thought he was going to be a really good slot WR.

Some things jump out looking back at him at UMass in hindsight.  He had TRex 29" arms and 8.5" hands.  He was used as a kick an punt returner sparingly with mediocre results - poor averages with no TDs.

Once drafted by the Cards he played exclusively in the slot despite the fact that he was an outside receiver throughout his collegiate career.  Could not break press coverage vs man and was a body catcher with plenty of drops.  

6 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Oh, I guess I wasn’t aware there was an official definition. 

Jadaveon Clowney is a good football player. He hasn't lived up to 1st overall pick status, that's definitely true but if Clowney had gone back half of round 1 nobody would perceive him as an underachiever, definitely not what I'd consider a bust. But you are right the definition isn't universal. 

Jeff Okudah who the Lions just traded to the Falcons is right up there for me. I loved him. Had a super high grade on him, would have had no problem selecting him at #3 overall like Detroit did and if he was in this draft his grade would make him my #1 player overall. But after 3 years where he failed to stay healthy and struggled to cover guys he is traded away for a 5th round pick and Lions even ate some of his money. Maybe he revives his career in Atlanta but for now he is a massive bust and he is a player I loved coming out. 

The only other guys I can find since I have been doing this (2014) who I had first round grades on who other than for major injury or off field reasons have been total duds have been Josh Rosen and Vernon Hargreaves (too soon to add Zack Wilson to that list?). There is then a group of Shaq Lawson and Jarran Reed types who were lower first round grades who have only ended up as role players rather than as every down starters, who I'd certainly call disappointing 1st round value but not total busts. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Every Detroit Lions receiver drafted in the 1st round since 2000 except Calvin Johnson 

True dat!

7 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Easier to look at Bills, a guy that stands out is James Hardy. I thought he was exactly what we needed at the time and he was out of the league in about 5 seconds. I know a lot of people liked him on here as well.  

I used to follow the draft more.  James Hardy...I would have been fine taking him in the first, then we got him in the 2nd and I thought we won the lottery!  I have his jersey.  Then he opened up gun fire and killed his father, then he died.  Sorry if this sounds superficial, but, he was a bust.

12 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Of Bills players they drafted… Sammy Watkins I’m the first to admit after watching him beat Ohio State himself I thought The Bills had a true once every 5 years kinda receiver. Didn’t work out that way.

The league… there’s been so many but I’d go with Peter Warwick from Florida State for people old enough to remember him. 

You really wasn’t wrong about Sammy he was turning into a superstar until the injuries started . He was zapped of all his speed and burst and never recovered. 

Of Bills players they drafted… Sammy Watkins I’m the first to admit after watching him beat Ohio State himself I thought The Bills had a true once every 5 years kinda receiver. Didn’t work out that way.

The league… there’s been so many but I’d go with Peter Warwick from Florida State for people old enough to remember him. 

You really wasn’t wrong about Sammy he was turning into a superstar until the injuries started . He was zapped of all his speed and burst and never recovered. 

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think you misunderstood the question

Busts don’t play in the league for as long as Jadeveon Clowney has

The guy has played a long time but stinks.  Blaine Gabbert went like #5 overall and is still playing.  He’s not a bust?

• Disagree 1

The maddening part is he had the talent to be, just not the mindset...his demons overtook him 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.