Shaq Lawson returning

Chandler#81

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

I’m excited about Bernard, Dodson and Spector competing if the alternative is drafting a LB at 27. 

Seriously, I think I am too.  Not sure what I want.  But, know I want offense in an offense driven league.

9 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Exactly. All the time people wanted Beane to invest in the offense but it doesn't come without consequences. For me, if it means that we get much weaker at MLB so be it. 

I’m on board with that too

4 hours ago, Mark Long Beach said:

There's not much quality difference between the top 4 or 5 teams.   You need to be good enough to get in the mix and then lucky enough to have some things go your way.  

Health is the biggest factor IMO and we lost Von Miller, Daquan Johnson (a great year for us)  and our secondary was devastated. We were playing Jaquan Johnson the Terrible (if it's not his name it should be), Not-On-Our-Team Dean Marlow, and Practice Squad Cam Lewis.   Their offense controlled the game while ours couldn't step up that game.

Sure our team has some flaws.   Our OL was shockingly bad with Saffold and Brown getting regularly beat like a red-headed stepchild. Our WRs and DEs under-performed. Our backup safeties weren't as good as expected.  (Jaquan Johnson the Terrible I'm especially looking at you)

We are good enough. Our record shows that we're good enough.  Let's fix our weaknesses (OL please!) as best we can and kick their asses next year.

Agreed with all that AND the offense needs to move the ball more consistently.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Shaq is interesting to me. It’s rare to see a guy go from overrated, to underrated to properly rated. Shaq ia a quality football player. He does everything pretty well. When the Bills drafted him we all wanted more. He became a good edge setter and a smart player. Now, he’s in the role where he belongs. He’s a good, rotational DE, with a high floor. Good signing

Totally agree with all of that, well said!

6 hours ago, Mark Long Beach said:

There's not much quality difference between the top 4 or 5 teams.   You need to be good enough to get in the mix and then lucky enough to have some things go your way.  

Health is the biggest factor IMO and we lost Von Miller, Daquan Johnson (a great year for us)  and our secondary was devastated. We were playing Jaquan Johnson the Terrible (if it's not his name it should be), Not-On-Our-Team Dean Marlow, and Practice Squad Cam Lewis.   Their offense controlled the game while ours couldn't step up that game.

Sure our team has some flaws.   Our OL was shockingly bad with Saffold and Brown getting regularly beat like a red-headed stepchild. Our WRs and DEs under-performed. Our backup safeties weren't as good as expected.  (Jaquan Johnson the Terrible I'm especially looking at you)

We are good enough. Our record shows that we're good enough.  Let's fix our weaknesses (OL please!) as best we can and kick their asses next year.

Nailed it !!....well said

8 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

So this is treading water the last three seasons?

2020:  East Champ, 13 wins & AFC championship game

2021:  East Champ, 11 wins & 13 seconds

2022:  East Champ & 13 wins

Sure I want MORE but the last 3 years have hardly been treading water.  That was the 20 years before 2020.  I'm now convinced that with some tweaks and a little luck the Bills are in the Super Bowl next season.

Agree.   Many posters on this board have been sucked into the "unless you win the SB you suck" mentality.   Congratulations to the media for creating this myth.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Manther said:

Agreed with all that AND the offense needs to move the ball more consistently.

We averaged more ypg this past season than any other year with Allen at QB, beating 2020 by 1 ypg. But in 2020 we averaged ~3 points more per game. What we need is to limit redzone turnovers.

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

We averaged more ypg this past season than any other year with Allen at QB, beating 2020 by 1 ypg. But in 2020 we averaged ~3 points more per game. What we need is to limit redzone turnovers.

Agreed AND less 3 and outs.  I didn’t say anything about yards.  I said move the ball more consistently.

12 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Actually it is losing ground

In 2021 the Bills went 11 -6 with one of the losses being a blowout.  In 2022 they went 13 - 3 with the 3 loses being by a total of 8 points.

In both 2021 & 2022 the Bills lost in the Divisional round of the playoffs.  Though they played better in the 2021 playoffs then they did in the 2022 playoffs.

In 2021 the Bills enjoyed a relatively tame year from an injury & event standpoint.  In comparison 2022 was a cluster frack.

Seems to me the Bills have plateaued right on the edge of making a Super Bowl.  I don't see them losing ground, yet.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

21 was crushing the Pats

20 was squeaking past the Colts and then beating the Ravens on one of the top 5 plays in Bills history - the Taron Johnson pick six

Agree little pass rush but rarely out of position. He is a quality backup DE but can start opposite Rousseau for several games while Miller comes back

Ya you're right. Got em mixed up

13 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

In 2021 the Bills went 11 -6 with one of the losses being a blowout.  In 2022 they went 13 - 3 with the 3 loses being by a total of 8 points.

In both 2021 & 2022 the Bills lost in the Divisional round of the playoffs.  Though they played better in the 2021 playoffs then they did in the 2022 playoffs.

In 2021 the Bills enjoyed a relatively tame year from an injury & event standpoint.  In comparison 2022 was a cluster frack.

Seems to me the Bills have plateaued right on the edge of making a Super Bowl.  I don't see them losing ground, yet.

if you don’t see them gaining, they are losing ground and you are just waiting for the fall to experience it 

the cap situation will get tighter, and the draft hasn’t produced home runs. The hallmark signing is hurt. That means they haven’t gone forward.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Eyeroll 1

On 4/10/2023 at 9:01 PM, Mark Long Beach said:

I like the first paragraph in terms of every team has holes somewhere, there is not perfect roster.  Some teams have better WR's or OL vs others but a hole somewhere else.   But when you look at the big picture the top teams are very close in terms of overall talent. People love to cherry pick, "we dont have the WR's the Bengals have" while not really looking at the overall roster.  When you have the QB and a solid roster (like the Bills do) you are in the mix.

While I do agree injuries are important and can derail things, I don't think that is the biggest reason for winning and losing in the post season.  Unless you lose your franchise QB.  Other than that injuries happen and they do happen to all teams, and they do often occur at the same position. To me the difference in postseason success is gameplan/in game decisions and strategy.  J Johnson was awful, they got him out of there.  All teams have to deal with less than ideal players having to fill in.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.