Anyone left handed on TBD?

Another Fan

Last week the dental hygienist I saw was left handed.  She was telling how much of a pain was how her work area was.

It’s not something I gave much thought too before.  Just recall Ned Flanders opening a Left handed store on The Simpsons when that show was good.

If you are left handed is it a pain? 

The major inconvenience for me: dragging my hand through all what I have just written.  Generally not much of a problem in these digital days.

Always threw a ball left handed, but when the baseball association my son played in hired Doyle Baseball School for league wide lessons, I followed their drills and became equally bad with both arms.  Don't blame Doyle, blame the player. 😁

• Like (+1) 3

Being left-handed was the best thing that I ever got for sports 

It made me very unpredictable in sports and tougher to guard 

My school did force me to write with my right hand growing up though so I became ambidextrous

Edited by Buffalo716

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The major inconvenience for me: dragging my hand through all what I have just written.  Generally not much of a problem in these digital days.

Always threw a ball left handed, but when the baseball association my son played in hired Doyle Baseball School for league wide lessons, I followed their drills and became equally bad with both arms.  Don't blame Doyle, blame the player. 😁

Our grandson just turned 9 and he seems to be ambidextrous in most aspects of life, except for sports. Is it possible to be “neither handed”?  I kid, I kid! (Mostly.) He’s young, healthy and having fun. What else counts? 

As for lefties, it’s always nice to have someone to stick at the other end of the dining table so everyone can eat without getting in each other’s  way. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My daughter is a total lefty.  My wife and I are completely right handed.  My son writes with his right hand, but plays all sports (hockey, lacrosse, swings a bat) left handed.  It’s weird how that all works out.

The variation I have on that which makes no sense is I golf right handed, but play hockey left handed.  It's the same basic action.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The variation I have on that which makes no sense is I golf right handed, but play hockey left handed.  It's the same basic action.

If you grow up playing hockey in Canada

They will teach righties to play left-handed… Seeing as your top hand is the most important in hockey

So they will put your dominant hand up top

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I'm left handed when I write, but growing up, basically made myself ambidextrous, because there were not enough "Lefty" scissors in elementary school. 

Lefty Scissor.jpg

Same. I write with my left but taught myself to use my right for everything else.  Drs are always like I thought you are left handed but the veins in your right are bigger. I used to do everything left handed up until about 2nd grade then i switched

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you grow up playing hockey in Canada

They will teach righties to play left-handed… Seeing as your top hand is the most important in hockey

So they will put your dominant hand up top

My son has been playing hockey since he was 4-5.  He’s lefty so when he practices stick handling/shooting he puts a small piece of PVC pipe on his stick and grips it with his bottom hand.  Forces him to control the puck with his top hand.  His bottom hand doesn’t even touch the stick.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My son has been playing hockey since he was 4-5.  He’s lefty so when he practices stick handling/shooting he puts a small piece of PVC pipe on his stick and grips it with his bottom hand.  Forces him to control the puck with his top hand.  His bottom hand doesn’t even touch the stick.

Exactly

Which is why Canadian hockey purist teach righties to play left-handed

Because you get there dominant hand up top where it does all the work… And they can do some insane stuff with dominant hand up top

My buddy played Major Junior hockey in Canada… But he’s American.. So he’s a real righty playing righty

And he said going back he wishes he grew up playing left-handed… Because he couldn’t imagine how good he’d be with his dominant hand up top

You can obviously train the other hand to become very good on top… But he said it’s really nothing like having a dominant hand up there

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I write and eat left-handed, but play sports and guitar right-handed. I play pool left-handed.

I'm right-handed with most tools (hammer, screwdriver, saw, drill, etc.), but I'm a lefty with a soldering iron. I shoot a rifle left-handed but I shoot a handgun right-handed.

I cook left-handed for everything except slicing something. I'll use my left hand to cut the stem part out of a tomato, but then I switch the knife to my right hand to slice the tomato.

I've never really thought much about any of those things - I just pick up the object in whatever way feels natural. Usually, I don't notice  which is the dominant hand until someone else says, "Oh, you're a lefty."

12 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I write and eat left-handed, but play sports and guitar right-handed. I play pool left-handed.

I'm right-handed with most tools (hammer, screwdriver, saw, drill, etc.), but I'm a lefty with a soldering iron. I shoot a rifle left-handed but I shoot a handgun right-handed.

I cook left-handed for everything except slicing something. I'll use my left hand to cut the stem part out of a tomato, but then I switch the knife to my right hand to slice the tomato.

I've never really thought much about any of those things - I just pick up the object in whatever way feels natural. Usually, I don't notice  which is the dominant hand until someone else says, "Oh, you're a lefty."

It’s good that you never really thought about it. It just might make you crazy! 😂 

It’s actually very cool that people along the way let you do it the way that was natural for you. My son’s school seems to have “corrected him” into being a rightie. His son doesn’t seem to have much of a preference, and I think that’s awesome. My left arm is there mostly to make me look symmetrical. 

BTW - has part of you thought of running for President? 

• Haha (+1) 1

I am extremely right-handed. If I am forced to write with my left hand, I need a couple of seconds for each letter, and even then it is barely legible. Interestingly, is seems to be more of an arm problem. My left hand is perfectly fine when playing piano or organ.

I’m a lefty for everything except shooting a gun.  My dad got me a left handed bow which was cool.  When we were kids the stocks and bolt actions on our rifles were “normal” so I shot righty.  Expert marksman in the military so I guess I did okay.

I have my take on why lefties were forced to write righty.

Think about it... The ball point pen wasn't invented to about the 1930s... Even then and after, fountain pens were still common.

Writing lefty with a fountain pen OR at least teaching a child to write with a fountain pen left handed would have created a terrible mess, smear...

Watch a left write and they kinda hook their hand over as they move left to right.

Is penmanship really a thing anymore?

Same with drafting... Line quality and inking a print. It's all done on computer/CAD now...

FWIW.  I don't think the old days were as nefarious as they are made out to be. More just economical and practical concerns. 

In the days when penmanship counted, probably easier just to teach the other hand.

Today... We have everything for both hands.  My older sister is a lefty... We ate as a big family at a large table. We parked her on so she would bang elbows with others. Same with her softball mitt... She just learned to play putting the mitt on backwards.

https://potus.com/presidential-facts/left-handed/

"Eight presidents have been left-handed.

James A. Garfield was the first left-handed president. He could write in two languages at the same time - Greek with the left hand and Latin with the right.

#President

20James A. Garfield

31Herbert Hoover

33Harry S. Truman

38Gerald R. Ford

40Ronald Reagan

41George H. W. Bush

42Bill Clinton

44Barack Obama"

Interesting it took all the way up to Garfield (1880s), then Hoover @ the advent of the ballpoint pen...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 4/7/2023 at 4:13 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My daughter is a total lefty.  My wife and I are completely right handed.  My son writes with his right hand, but plays all sports (hockey, lacrosse, swings a bat) left handed.  It’s weird how that all works out.

My oldest son is only left-handed when 'swinging' with two hands - baseball and hockey. For tennis, ping-pong, badminton etc. ..he's a righty.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

My oldest son is only left-handed when 'swinging' with two hands - baseball and hockey. For tennis, ping-pong, badminton etc. ..he's a righty.

I feel like this is common.  I was always totally right handed for everything except lacrosse.  For some reason I was always pretty much ambidextrous with a lacrosse stick.  Even when I was very young.  I could swing a baseball bat pretty well left handed too.  Anything involving precise fine-motor I’m all right handed though…

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I feel like this is common.  I was always totally right handed for everything except lacrosse.  For some reason I was always pretty much ambidextrous with a lacrosse stick.  Even when I was very young.  I could swing a baseball bat pretty well left handed too.  Anything involving precise fine-motor I’m all right handed though…

I'll have to ask him about lacrosse - my guess is he holds it righty because it's more of a throwing motion - although in fairness all we've ever done is have a lax catch in the backyard.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

I will throw a frisbee with my left hand but golf, bat, hockey, etc are all left hand. I write lefty but use a fork, screwgun, drill etc. righty. When I eat it's a knife on the right and then switch over to a fork to actually eat whatever I've cut.

Never had a problem with much of anything.

23 minutes ago, T&C said:

I will throw a frisbee with my left hand but golf, bat, hockey, etc are all left hand. I write lefty but use a fork, screwgun, drill etc. righty. When I eat it's a knife on the right and then switch over to a fork to actually eat whatever I've cut.

Never had a problem with much of anything.

My quirk is that I do everything righty except kicking. Although if I do kick righty it's much less awkward than doing anything else I try lefty - with maybe one exception.  Back in the day I was a pretty good pool shot (grew up with a full size table in the basement) and my friends were at best average. Sometimes after a few beers I'd play lefty and I got good enough to beat them more often than not. 

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

My quirk is that I do everything righty except kicking. Although if I do kick righty it's much less awkward than doing anything else I try lefty - with maybe one exception.  Back in the day I was a pretty good pool shot (grew up with a full size table in the basement) and my friends were at best average. Sometimes after a few beers I'd play lefty and I got good enough to beat them more often than not. 

I grew up with a table in the basement, and have one now. I was better than most, but if I tried to go left handed today I might be up past my bedtime trying to finish a single rack. I’m afraid to even TRY! 

One of our friends growing up was forced to switch hands in middle school. He was one of the better athletes in our neighborhood, but he had nerve damage to his right hand resulting in partial use. (Horrible story about his brother returning from Vietnam, not being right and a kitchen knife.) Before too long he was beating people in tennis left handed. Most people know a guy like that….he’s just better than the average bear, and it’s quite clear to everyone. 

I'm a lefty and do almost everything left handed. About the only things I do right handed is use scissors, play guitar and shoot.

On the greens, if my putting is bad, I'll take out my 2 iron and use it right handed.

My wife is a lefty too but our Daughters are both right handed... Lefties are superior.

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

I grew up with a table in the basement, and have one now. I was better than most, but if I tried to go left handed today I might be up past my bedtime trying to finish a single rack. I’m afraid to even TRY! 

One of our friends growing up was forced to switch hands in middle school. He was one of the better athletes in our neighborhood, but he had nerve damage to his right hand resulting in partial use. (Horrible story about his brother returning from Vietnam, not being right and a kitchen knife.) Before too long he was beating people in tennis left handed. Most people know a guy like that….he’s just better than the average bear, and it’s quite clear to everyone. 

I played recently on the table I grew up with and the results where underwhelming (playing righty). 

Great/horrible story about your friend. I've always been fascinated with trying to do things 'wrong-handed'. Bored in the backyard in the past year or so me and my two boys were trying to throw a football lefty. Very awkward but we managed - forced us to think about technique instead of just chucking. 

So I throw a football left handed … throw a baseball and bat left handed 

play hockey left handed 

bowl lefty

but write right handed 

throw a frisbee right handed 

arm wrestle right handed 

open jars right handed 

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I played recently on the table I grew up with and the results where underwhelming (playing righty). 

Great/horrible story about your friend. I've always been fascinated with trying to do things 'wrong-handed'. Bored in the backyard in the past year or so me and my two boys were trying to throw a football lefty. Very awkward but we managed - forced us to think about technique instead of just chucking. 

Our son was a very good soccer player. He could have played in college, and he “got it” the first time on the field in  a 3 on 3 as a little kid.  He would just dribble around the kids picking flowers. He knew why he was there, and it was a mission, regardless of pretty cloud formations! 

Eventually in Rec league games (school and travel team, be sure you win first) we told him it only counted if he scored with his head or his left foot. It REALLY helped develop his skill set. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

Our son was a very good soccer player. He could have played in college, and he “got it” the first time on the field in  a 3 on 3 as a little kid.  He would just dribble around the kids picking flowers. He knew why he was there, and it was a mission, regardless of pretty cloud formations! 

Eventually in Rec league games (school and travel team, be sure you win first) we told him it only counted if he scored with his head or his left foot. It REALLY helped develop his skill set. 

That's awesome.  In my case it was more of a giant middle finger to my friends than it was improving my skill set.

I remember a kid my son played with that "got it" too. He was head and shoulders above every other kid on the soccer field.  I remember being amazed watching him juke past everyone like he'd been doing it for years. Coaches would put the kid back on D to take it easy on the other team and he'd take it as an opportunity to take it end to end. 

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

That's awesome.  In my case it was more of a giant middle finger to my friends than it was improving my skill set.

I remember a kid my son played with that "got it" too. He was head and shoulders above every other kid on the soccer field.  I remember being amazed watching him juke past everyone like he'd been doing it for years. Coaches would put the kid back on D to take it easy on the other team and he'd take it as an opportunity to take it end to end. 

Oh, how I miss those years!

It was the same thing in basketball, if you can’t go left, you can’t go anywhere because they will just take going right away. It’s good for sports, for sure, but it also teaches you work ethic. Nope, it ain’t easy. THAT is why you are working at it. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.