Calais Campbell *update beane said no visit scheduled

Reed83HOF

• Reed83HOF changed the title to Calais Campbell *update beane said no visit scheduled
On 3/24/2023 at 8:15 PM, Augie said:

Yep, it’s like “successful surgery”. They rarely come out and say “yeah, I really effed that one up!” 

Meh, it was ok, I feel like I have had better surgeries. In any event, good luck! Hope everything turns out ok!

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

That’s fair, but I wasn’t necessarily thinking of guys who were big time signings, I was just thinking of veteran players signed by Beane. Guys like Anquan Boldin and Vontae Davis. I understand they weren’t expected to be superstars, but they were supposed to be a veteran presence, instead they were epic busts. I know those guys didn’t cost much, but it’s a road I’d prefer not to travel going forward. I’ll take the Sherfield signing everyday over a mediocre veteran with name recognition. Campbell is obviously a step above many of the rest, but the price would have to be a bargain for me to have any interest. 

I forgot Frank Gore. I think he was 36 when we signed him. Now he was purely meant to be a “veteran presence” on a rebuilding team, but he was kind of toast by the time we got him. Veteran Leader Toast. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/25/2023 at 1:10 PM, Eastport bills said:

I admit that signing Miller was a proactive attempt to fix our D-line and create a successful formula similar to the Rams championship winning defense. Everything looked good at the start of the season but the injury that effectively killed our season is a microcosm of the faulty reasoning that inspired the signing. A 33 year old D-lineman for 120 million over 6 years is risky to say the least. Injuries have to be factored in with older players and the damage to the cap flexibility makes keeping a roster competitive difficult. Other than franchise QBs, the contracts for 33 yr old edge rushers are never that much.

This is Peak Captain Hindsight. Are we really complaining about money spent on the 2nd highest paying (and 2nd most important position)???

Throw the ball well.

Disrupt the qb.

It's very simple.  A fluke bang bang knee injury is incredibly common in the sport.  Should we have not paid Allen in case he blows up a knee?

Miller isn't a 6yr deal, and anybody in football knows it. Quit talking like an agent.

This place is fn bonkers. Draft needs to hurry. Maybe we shouldn't pick anyone in the first round! What if they blow their knee out during the football game 😱

17 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

This is Peak Captain Hindsight. Are we really complaining about money spent on the 2nd highest paying (and 2nd most important position)???

Throw the ball well.

Disrupt the qb.

It's very simple.  A fluke bang bang knee injury is incredibly common in the sport.  Should we have not paid Allen in case he blows up a knee?

Miller isn't a 6yr deal, and anybody in football knows it. Quit talking like an agent.

This place is fn bonkers. Draft needs to hurry. Maybe we shouldn't pick anyone in the first round! What if they blow their knee out during the football game 😱

Always appreciate the kind words. Perhaps your comparison to paying a generational 24 yr old franchise QB to a 33yr old edge rusher is silly and naive. QBs like Josh must be paid and in some cases fully guaranteed. They define your franchise as relevant for a decade. They justify building new stadiums.Paying an old edge rusher, with an injury history, 20 million a year for at least 4 years with what was guaranteed, is not a no brainer. Not only did his injury crush our chances last year, but our cap restrictions prevented bringing in difference makers this year and for years to come with Beane’s restructures kicking the can down the road. By the way, Miller even admitted he wanted to sign with Dallas  for a lot less before Beane blew him away with the monster deal. The problem with 34 yr old edge rushers is after serious knee injuries, they tend not to recover fully especially with their get off. Let’s see if he’s ready to go in September. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.