Bills Sign OG David Edwards

MAJBobby

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We currently do not have a middle linebacker starter on the roster

It’s gonna have to come from somewhere

I think round 2, they going to roll the dice on a MLB.. Maybe even double dip for competition but what we do know is... Most years this GM has the holes covered pre-draft. Outside maybe the Allan Draft

10 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Wait I actually like this. He was injured last year IIRC but was playing really well when the Rams first drafted him.

Missed most of last season with a concussion.  That's a long time for a concussion, but roll the dice with a 1 year contract 👌

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Marlton Bills said:

I’m not sure if this is right but with a QB like Josh aren’t the guards and the center more important than the tackles?  He can help neutralize the edge rushers with his feet. I really think Browny will improve this year, but I think it’s the guard play that we needed reinforcement. 

I'm really not clear on that bit about the G and C being more important.  I think with the O operating so much out of shotgun, and with Josh sometimes dropping back from that, the DL can go wide and get a clear bead on Josh if the OTs don't have good lateral movement.

Obviously I'm trying to wipe it from my memory banks, but I seem to recall the Bengals rushing wide from the right side and just beating Brown like a drum.

Edited by Beck Water

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

1st:  Because Ike is always on PUP/IR.  LOL. 

Ha Ha.  For definitions of "always" equal to "only in 2022, when he was rehabbing the achilles he tore late in the 2021 season.  Seriously, I don't see the Bills re-up'ing him if they didn't think he'd be good to go for TC.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've changed my mind about this signing after doing a little research. He only played in 4 games last year, so that's a big red flag. He's pretty average, but maybe a tick above and as an above average G, he'd be the best G on our roster by a long shot. Add a big road grader at RT in round 1 and if Brown develops, move him inside. All of a sudden, our OL looks 100% better. I'm not saying any of this is guaranteed, but if it does and we get a decent ILB in round 2, I'll be happy. It also looks like the DHop talk is serious, if unlikely. A fella can dream, can't he? I don't know how we pay DHop, but the ceiling is high. The floor, however, is still too low. We need things to go our way.

• Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think if we trade for DeAndre Hopkins, Jack Campbell becomes the favorite for our 1st round pick. His fit with us makes too much sense. No one should complain if that happens. We'll have spent the entire free agency period up to that point upgrading the offense. We've signed zero defensive players.

Sorry, but no. We haven't upgraded the offense or the defense for that matter. We've added depth players other than Poyer and Harris, but Poyer was already with us and Harris is no better than Singletary. So even with those 2 signings, it's a wash. With the possible exception of Harty, the rest are castoffs, backups.
Beane has missed on too many high (Day 1 & 2) picks and now we're paying for it -- Basham, Brown, Ford, Oliver, Cook, Bernard, Epenesa, Moss, Singletary, Harrison Phillips. All of these guys are bad, underperforming or no longer on the roster. Cook has a chance to be good, but only in a limited role. Brown has yet to develop, if he ever will.
Beane can't possibly fix that in 1 draft weekend. That bill has come due and restructuring more contracts just adds to future salary cap problems. It will take another offseason or 2 to fix this and that assumes that Beane gets red hot and makes all the right moves.

Good points and analysis.  So far this looks like a slight improvement with saffold gone.  ( Edwards looks very round faced , somewhat plethoric , didn’t have great recent stats , so I don’t see him as anything but a backup. McGovern , looks athletic on the other  hand ). So people are ignoring Hyde had a CERVICAL FUSION, as stated on if the walls could talk , spielman had the same surgery and did not play the same or overcome it. Having had much more extensive fusions at 4 levels , 5th needed, I just can’t imagine feeling the same despite, it being only a single level for Hyde. Love the guy , really hope it works but no guarantees he is the same great safety.  Poyer also coming off a rough year , so hope this is not a warning sign.  We wont have Miller until who knows, and our lack of sacks has not been upgraded.  Expecting expenesa to Be different is , imho, wishful thinking.  Basham could improve but again, odds seem against him.

I do have HIGH HOPES , we get a Young LB, and we will learn we can indeed be ok or better against the run and get more impact plays than BILS fans accepted as good production, IF they draft one of a few good lbs that’s could be available.  That leaves a legit competitor wr for the wr 2 spot. Without that in FA/ or draft , we are left hoping Gabe and guys with potential break out. Finally , i agree with greggtx, RB is prob improved in the goal line /short yardage area ,but how great would it be to get a difference making back on a 5 year deal , like BIJON.  

If not available , the tall wr suggested by Jeremiah / and others , who wins contested balls would also be a good move and get a lb in round 2.   But so far it is a lot of lateral moves that could prove better If they pan out. Beane has been very average with his success at FA signings after DIGGS ( cant judge miller fairly as he was hurt before playofff competition ever began). Certainly , it doesn’t look like anything resembling any huge gain in talent so far.

Hopkins becoming a BILL , would actually be that edge that MILLER was supposed to add to the d last year and did for a short period , but that’s the rub, the trophy is handed out in feb so you cant just ignore injuries, surgeries, aging , and what your competitors are adding.  It’s a long process , very far away yet, but at this point there is no great addition ( well, if Sean calls the d that could be huge vs more Frazier) , just seems like hoping guys will finallly break out and produce , so lets see how the draft goes. Have to admit tho, the way our 1st round pick and cook were used last year , who can be certain what the draft results will really mean?   Drafting , then barely playing those rookies like last year, to me , means i will hold off judgement / hopes until i see the end result of them actually being active and playing. I would love Campbell , but they need to solidify talent for josh to throw too , and two slot type guys , imo , is not solving the issue yet. Rich Eisen agrees, suggesting Hopkins should  be a goal ( funny he suggested getting Henry as well, seriously, and dealing with cap issues like LA later, AFTER you finally have your SB ring! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

Hope you're right!

Why was he still available on such a short deal?

2022 was his worst year. He had concussion issues and didn't play up to his previous standard. Plus this has been one of the slowest FA periods I can remember. Feels a bit like a lot of teams shot their bolts last year and are having to be a little more circumspect. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Plus this has been one of the slowest FA periods I can remember. Feels a bit like a lot of teams shot their bolts last year and are having to be a little more circumspect. 

Im glad you confirmed this because I thought it felt quite boring compared to previous years.

15 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

15 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I gleaned so much from this interview! We already knew ‘Krom’ was a top tier OL coach but David elaborated how much better he and his line mates were in their 2nd year under his tutelage, so we can expect the same here. Brandon & Sean’s philosophy about every OL must learn every position lines up with the players now knowing what each player is doing on every snap and where his responsibilities are at his position. I assume every team is doing some form of this as the aim is to have “the best 5 will play” includes mid-game injury adjustments. Edwards seems as enthralled and overwhelmed with Josh’s absolute magic as we are, referencing the Covid year comeback where Josh overcame 2 4th & longs before throwing the GWTD. 

We truly have become a desired destination for all players and it’s a wonderful thing! I fully expect an even better year from our OL this season, when all we have to do is win 2 more games!

If you haven’t watch it, do your fandom a favor and watch.

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, f0neguy said:

As Edwards and Bates both have some experience at center,  is there a chance that Morse has had enough concussions and walks away?   He’s been dinged up a few times over the last couple of seasons.   I realize that Edwards had a concussion last season but don’t think he’s had multiple like Morse.  Now we’ve got two bigger, younger players to possibly step up.

Edwards has never played C at any level of football.  McGovern has with Cowboys and at PSU.  Bates has subbed for Morse already.  

I am curious if Bills give Edwards reps at RT in camp to compete with Brown as Edwards played RT exclusively at Wisconsin.  

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I'm really not clear on that bit about the G and C being more important.  I think with the O operating so much out of shotgun, and with Josh sometimes dropping back from that, the DL can go wide and get a clear bead on Josh if the OTs don't have good lateral movement.

Obviously I'm trying to wipe it from my memory banks, but I seem to recall the Bengals rushing wide from the right side and just beating Brown like a drum.

I hear you…my thought was if the middle holds up better Josh has options…step up in the pocket, take off through a gap, or beat an edge rusher on the outside.  If the middle doesn’t hold up, which it seems like was also a problem, his only option is to try to beat the edge rusher. 

22 minutes ago, Marlton Bills said:

I hear you…my thought was if the middle holds up better Josh has options…step up in the pocket, take off through a gap, or beat an edge rusher on the outside.  If the middle doesn’t hold up, which it seems like was also a problem, his only option is to try to beat the edge rusher. 

Yea. I agree with you. I think when you leave the rusher from the non-blind side (i.e. round right tackle) to Josh he can deal with that and find a way out so long as the middle holds. I'd love to have a wall infront of him, but in the absence of that I'd be content for RT to be my questionable spot. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Ha Ha.  For definitions of "always" equal to "only in 2022, when he was rehabbing the achilles he tore late in the 2021 season.  Seriously, I don't see the Bills re-up'ing him if they didn't think he'd be good to go for TC.

Please see James Crowder as an example. 

I like the signing. The Bills needs to load up with Olinemen. Protect Allen is priority number one. Beane has screwed the pooch for too long. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Cool … and playoff record? 

Since Allen came into his own, 4-3. Pretty good, though certainly we all wish it was better.

So, 55-21 regular season record building off a rebuild, and 4-3 in the playoffs in the last three years. Among the best. Again, wish it was a bit better, but still quite good.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.