Who Will Be Next Year's Scapegoat?

ArtVandalay

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Um, no. Beane's right and you're wrong. Ja'Marr chase was obtained with a #5 pick, and we've never had one that high under Beane / McDermott. Even when we traded way back in the first round one year to get a good pick the next year we still didn't manage to get up to #5, only to #7. 

And what we did with the #7 was pretty spectacular. Anyone who thinks the Josh Allen pick, our highest, was a miss is several light years away from being able to even smell a clue, much less actually get one.

The Bengals had #5 for Chase and #1 for Burrow, without trading up. The Bill had to trade up for Allen, Edmunds and (unfortunately) Ford and still didn't ever get as high as either of the two natural picks for Chase or Burrow.

And yeah, you can make things look as they are not if you only look at the other teams best picks and several of your team's worst. It doesn't show anything about the Bills, though, only what you are desperate to show so you only look at limited pre-selected facts.

The year they got Burrow and Higgins they had #1 and #33 and so on, while we had #54 and #86 as our two highest picks. You can argue that they also got Diggs for the 22nd pick, but though true, it doesn't support your argument about better use of picks. That was terrific use of the pick, but it's not surprising that strictly in terms of draft they did better than us with the #1 and #33 than we did with the #54 and #86.

We drafted Ed Oliver #9 and he was a miss. if you want to quibble that Beane needed a top 5 pick instead of top 9 to get an impact star player, go for it.

What you can't do, is have 4 picks in the top 38 (3 in the top 16) and hit on only one of them. 

Beane's wrong. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/1/2023 at 11:26 AM, Augie said:

I didn’t do that at all. Pay attention. I was talking about last season, while you refer to 4 seasons where we didn’t win the Super Bowl. Guess what! Only one team can win the SB each year.

I can live with a 13-3 season because I’m a grown up. 

Your “defensive” head coach shouldn’t have his defense embarrassed in all 4 games to the extent they did. It’s called accountability you know something a grown up understands. 

14 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Your “defensive” head coach shouldn’t have his defense embarrassed in all 4 games to the extent they did. It’s called accountability you know something a grown up understands. 

Your way of thinking would mean Belichick would never be a HC after the Browns, or Andy Reid is just a good OC. Did they need more of your “accountability”?  

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

The biggest scapegoat will be Josn Allen, who has managed just, 24, 36 and 10 points in his last 3 playoff losses. That’s a 22.3 point per game average on a team that averages around 28+ points in the regular season. 

Do you understand what happens to the scape goat? 

Do you know who Josh Allen is? 

Nothing else you say matters there. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Do you understand what happens to the scape goat? 

Do you know who Josh Allen is? 

Nothing else you say matters there. 

He would be the biggest scapegoat. Not sure he will underwhelm, but it’s a possibility if past is prologue. 

Edited by Dr.Sack

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

He would be the biggest scapegoat. Not sure he will underwhelm, but it’s a possibility if past is prologue. 

He may be the biggest overachiever in the entire NFL. He certainly has flaws, but he does a lot despite generally mediocre at best surroundings. 

On 2/28/2023 at 8:15 PM, Augie said:

I’m not blurriesed, but I like 13-3 seasons, with two freaky losses.    😋

Me too!

Do you like disappointing playoff losses too? 

A Bills defense that can't stop a good quality playoff offense? 

A coaching staff that blows playoff games and clearly gets out coached? 

Whats the ultimate goal of the team Augie? Think macro not micro 

23 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Unfortunately, yeah, that's what people do today.

They passively aggressively insult the other person while pretending to apologize while actually not doing so.

Not me. Im not timid about calling out foolish posts. Including yours Mr. Thurman. Great thing is I know I get the same back in return. 

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Me too!

Do you like disappointing playoff losses too? 

A Bills defense that can't stop a good quality playoff offense? 

A coaching staff that blows playoff games and clearly gets out coached? 

Whats the ultimate goal of the team Augie? Think macro not micro 

Not me. Im not timid about calling out foolish posts. Including yours Mr. Thurman. Great thing is I know I get the same back in return. 

The team’s goal is to win. My goal is to be entertained. I’ve been pretty successful. I hope to get a few more weeks of entertainment next season. It’s pretty simple, really. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Augie said:

The team’s goal is to win. My goal is to be entertained. I’ve been pretty successful. I hope to get a few more weeks of entertainment next season. It’s pretty simple, really. 

Of course we want to be entertained. That is a pretty low standard. 

The team goal of the players, coaches, and management certainly isn't to entertain fans. It's a by product of winning. 

The goal is winning the Super bowl. First, let's try to get there. 

While, your feelings are yours, I doubt most Bills fans are truly satisfied with being entertained. Weak response!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Of course we want to be entertained. That is a pretty low standard. 

The team goal of the players, coaches, and management certainly isn't to entertain fans. It's a by product of winning. 

The goal is winning the Super bowl. First, let's try to get there. 

While, your feelings are yours, I doubt most Bills fans are truly satisfied with being entertained. Weak response!

Weak response? Not at all, but I certainly don’t leave that to you to judge. The team has their goals (winning, which I clearly stated, but maybe not clearly enough for you), and we are not actually part of the team. A SB would be very entertaining. What you or I think doesn’t matter to the team, and at least I know that. If you think your ridiculously high standards make you a better fan, you are again mistaken. 

Yes, everybody wants to win the Super Bowl. Every year. But that’s not how it works. What do you do if your kid is top 5 in their class, but not valedictorian? I can live with that, and I’d be proud. At least I might have some nominal impact on my child, while we have no impact as “fans” living on the outside. 

Having goals in life is important, but pointless if you have zero impact on the outcome. A SB victory may be an awesome wish, but since you have no control over the outcome, it’s a senseless “goal”. 

This isn’t worth it. Have a nice life. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.