Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

Again, he's demanding a $50M/year fully guaranteed contract, it will take 2-1st rounders to get him and he hasn't finished the last 2 seasons.  It doesn't take collusion for teams to be scared off by all that.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again, he's demanding a $50M/year fully guaranteed contract, it will take 2-1st rounders to get him and he hasn't finished the last 2 seasons.  It doesn't take collusion for teams to be scared off by all that.

Not to mention:

* Jackson has failed to complete the last two seasons with significant injuries.

*  Jackson has been very bad in his four playoff games where he has a 1 - 3 record.

*  Any team that currently needs a QB would likely have to significantly change their offensive scheme to accommodate his playing style.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

Not to mention:

* Jackson has failed to complete the last two seasons with significant injuries.

*  Jackson has been very bad in his four playoff games where he has a 1 - 3 record.

*  Any team that currently needs a QB would likely have to significantly change their offensive scheme to accommodate his playing style.

I mentioned the first but yes the other 2 are legit concerns as well.

• Like (+1) 1

Is there a team stupid enough to give him that fully guaranteed contract? Only the Jets come to mind, lol.

I predict he throws a sissy fit and does not play this season or report until the end, when he has to to get the accrued year credit.

52 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Not to mention:

Plus, it could be argued he did not play in the playoffs last year when he was fully capable.

Edited by chongli
  • Agree 1

I think this is going to blow up into an enormous firestorm that is going to look terrible for the NFL.

I would be apoplectic if the Bills were in the Falcons or Panthers spot and came immediately out to say they weren't interested. No discussion even. No meetings. Just zero interest.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is going to blow up into an enormous firestorm that is going to look terrible for the NFL.

I would be apoplectic if the Bills were in the Falcons or Panthers spot and came immediately out to say they weren't interested. No discussion even. No meetings. Just zero interest.

You know there were no discussions how exactly?  There are two things which are very important which nobody knows beyond speculation:

What teams are willing to pay

What Lamar wants to receive

Without knowing either of these things it is hard to cast blame.  If Atlanta offered vet minimum I’d say they were way off.  If Lamar asked for 6 billion a year guaranteed, he is way off.  We don’t know so we don’t know.

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

They're really pushing this narrative of "no one wants Lamar".  I don't believe it for a second.  

He’s just not that great. A QB has to be able to pass consistently. The OC ran a Lamar based offensive.. I don’t think every NFL team thinks that offense or his current skills sets are SB potential. The rapist contract was bound to cause problems so thanks to the ever clueless Browns.

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

You know there were no discussions how exactly?  There are two things which are very important which nobody knows beyond speculation:

What teams are willing to pay

What Lamar wants to receive

Without knowing either of these things it is hard to cast blame.  If Atlanta offered vet minimum I’d say they were way off.  If Lamar asked for 6 billion a year guaranteed, he is way off.  We don’t know so we don’t know.

Judging by the fact that no teams were allowed to talk to Lamar before the tag was applied, and within an hour a half dozen QB needy teams came out to say they weren't interested seems a bit fishy. 

But who knows... It looks bad though. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

38 minutes ago, benderbender said:

If you were trying super hard to make it NOT seem like collusion, you’d at least ask these “sources” to not all say the same thing at the same time on the same day. 

The conspiracy theorist in me says that's the assumption they want you to make. :)  

It's not collusion.  It's well known that the failure to get a deal done was because Lamar wanted a fully guaranteed contract.  Just because the Browns were dumb enough to give a fully guaranteed record qb contract doesn't meant another team is.  If I'm Lamar, I hire an agent and back off the fully guaranteed demand.  He's one bad step away from losing generational wealth playing on the non exclusive franchise tag.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Not to mention:

Media in Lamar’s corner keep taking about his MVP year. The league has adjusted and he clearly was either too injured or not willing to play a fair amount of games the past 2 years. He competes, he seems to be a good teammate, but could you see JA employing the same strategy??
He didn’t and he’s now comfortably signed to a contract and is the unquestioned leader of the Bills. Does anyone view Lamar as a leader of the Ravens? Poor decision making to not have an agent to take the burden off. No collusion, If teams think he’s worth it.. they will come after him and do a sign and trade. If not it’s a matter of value and he’s overpriced for the market. 

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Judging by the fact that no teams were allowed to talk to Lamar before the tag was applied, and within an hour a half dozen QB needy teams came out to say they weren't interested seems a bit fishy. 

Right because all NFL don’t care about winning ? Really? Why would these teams not be excited to get better ? At first glance the play vs cost at least so far is not worth it. If one team steps up  which is certainly possible then he’s met a particular teams value. That’s all. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

34 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think this is going to blow up into an enormous firestorm that is going to look terrible for the NFL.

Again why a firestorm? David Tepper Panthers owner is spoken as a guy who wants to make a huge splash in the Carolina market. Lamar seems to make sense but why no interest ? The $ vs the future production don’t line up.
Not a Ravens fan but that team is as  respected as any NFL franchise. And they are saying.. feel free to make a deal with Lamar. That is really interesting. 

20 minutes ago, chongli said:

So everyone understands "former MVP" means nothing, right? Teams don't want to give a fully guaranteed contract to a run first QB who has had trouble finishing each of the last two seasons. Especially since he is notoriously impossible to negotiate with. It isn't any more complicated than that.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

Lamar Jackson will be in this league for the next 4 years unless something catastrophic happens.  In that time he will be the starting QB for some franchise.

The NFL owners are desparately trying to delay the inevitable.  Upper echelon QBs will be getting fully guaranteed deals in the near future.  Does anyone here really think contracts given to star guys like Mahomes, Allen and soon, Burrow aren't all but guaranteed anyway?  They will all see the life of their contracts.

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

If he is demanding a billion dollars guaranteed, then it is bad….on him.  If they are truly “out” on him at any price or guarantee level,, that is weird and bad on them and makes no sense.  Neither of those pass the smell test for being real, but before a team writes a check for $1, they have to ship two firsts.  That’s a factor, no?

I’m not denying there could be collusion but there is far too little actual evidence to reach that conclusion.  In your own words you are “judging” but we are not in a position to do that.

IMO Jackson is a QB who should end up with a big money contract….if Daniel Jones get 40, Lamar should get a lot…..but he is the wrong guy to get some sort of full guarantee….is there even a right guy at that position?  Cleveland’s desperation seems to have initiated the guarantee issue but non-guarantee is certainly still the norm.  If guarantees become the norm the cap becomes very real and truly will hinder a lot of teams.  Because Cleveland took on that risk does not mean everyone will, especially with a guy that just missed an extended period with an injury and will cost an additional two firsts.

A team would be colluding against itself to fully guarantee a Jackson and give up two firsts.

7 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Actually no team can talk to a tagged player until the league year starts, which is on 3/15. Prior to that the player would need permission from the team. 

As for collision, it certainly seems so. In a world where Geno Smith gets 3/$105M and Daniel Jones gets 4/$160M, you’d think a team would want to have a discussion with Lamar just to put an offer on the table. Just because he’s demanding a fully guaranteed contract from the Ravens doesn’t mean he won’t take the best deal at the end of the day. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.