Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Andrews is a beast but he came into the nfl as rookie with Lamar after being drafted in the 3rd round. So apparently he wasn’t that much of a beast to nfl teams. Lamar deserves credit for soem of his success. Isiah’s likely stepped in when Andrews got hurt and also was successful.

Lamar and Mark Andrews have a real good connection together.  The 15 yard crossing route Andrews loves to run from right to left across the field to the sideline has worked wonders for them.  

But even with that, the Bills have owned Lamar in all 3 games they played against him.  Even the one in Buffalo that we lost during the regular season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Lamar deserves a contract bigger than Watson's.

Lamar is a better QB, a more dynamic threat, was league MVP, and hasn't had off the field issues and suspensions. 

That, plus contracts always go up over time= give Lamar what Watson got, plus some % on top of that. 

I'm always going to be for the players getting paid. If Lamar had torn his knee RGIII style in the playoffs this year the Ravens would say "gosh that's awful" and pay him pennies on the dollar or cut him loose and he wouldn't see a fraction of the $$ he deserves. 

IF Lamar was a free agent, some team would give him what he wants, maybe more than 1. Why should he settle?

You are correct somewhat, but the hangup is a fully guaranteed contract.

The Browns did it but I'm not sure the rest of the league is ready to do it.

Doesn't really matter to me, not my money, but it will change the dynamics of the salary cap. The players that are on the backend of the 53 will have to take less money.

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Lamar doesnt have an agent, and is handling ever aspect of this himself. He majored in Communications, and did not graduate. So not sure how suited he is to run this, or make decisions.

Exactly my point, now what’s the excuse that the Ravens have for making such an absurd offer to begin with?? Being that Lamar has peaked performance wise and is injury prone, and has missed a lot of games because of those injuries???

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Exactly my point, now what’s the excuse that the Ravens have for making such an absurd offer to begin with?? Being that Lamar has peaked performance wise and is injury prone, and has missed a lot of games because of those injuries???

He's still a franchise QB. I'm not a big fan or believer but he's definitely top half of the 32 starters, and that is simply the money those guys command. I dont think $20M less than Allen's guaranteed money is that far off from accurate.

The Ravens' other option would be letting him walk for nothing which would be the worst case scenario for them. At the very least they need to tag and trade.

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Lamar is a better QB, a more dynamic threat, was league MVP, and hasn't had off the field issues and suspensions. 

That, plus contracts always go up over time= give Lamar what Watson got, plus some % on top of that. 

I'm always going to be for the players getting paid. If Lamar had torn his knee RGIII style in the playoffs this year the Ravens would say "gosh that's awful" and pay him pennies on the dollar or cut him loose and he wouldn't see a fraction of the $$ he deserves. 

IF Lamar was a free agent, some team would give him what he wants, maybe more than 1. Why should he settle?

What that means is Watson didnt deserve the contract he got.  He got it because of a desperate franchise that wasnt even on Watsons radar until that point.  It doesnt mean all QBs should start getting fully guaranteed contracts.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Lamar has Baltimore in a bad position and I support him in getting every dollar he can. The more money he gets the better the Josh deal looks.

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Lamar and Mark Andrews have a real good connection together.  The 15 yard crossing route Andrews loves to run from right to left across the field to the sideline has worked wonders for them.  

But even with that, the Bills have owned Lamar in all 3 games they played against him.  Even the one in Buffalo that we lost during the regular season.

Agreed. We matched up really well against Lamar. Speedy LBs. 

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

What that means is Watson didnt deserve the contract he got.  He got it because of a desperate franchise that wasnt even on Watsons radar until that point.  It doesnt mean all QBs should start getting fully guaranteed contracts.

Watson before all the allegations was a top 5 qb. He was amazing playing on a crappy Houston team. But the browns giving him that much and guaranteed is so wild because he had no real leverage.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Watson before all the allegations was a top 5 qb. He was amazing playing on a crappy Houston team. But the browns giving him that much and guaranteed is so wild because he had no real leverage.

Sure he did.  The leverage was going to another team.  They desperately wanted him and when it was announced that the Browns were out of the running for him voila, the deal got done.  It sort of reminds me of how the Pegulas got the Bills, i.e. asking what it would take to get it done and writing a check for that amount.

As for Lamar, I wonder if he'd have agreed to a reasonable deal around the time Josh got his?  If so, the Ravens might have made a mistake not giving him one then.  Then again, he hasn't been able to finish the last 2 seasons.

Edited by Doc

I still say that if Lamar were a free agent, some team would give him a fully guaranteed contract in order to get him to sign, maybe more than 1.

Therefore, why should he settle? 

He holds all the cards, ultimately. He is a star QB, former MVP, and could sit out an entire season if need be and still be the #1 free agent a year from now. 

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I still say that if Lamar were a free agent, some team would give him a fully guaranteed contract in order to get him to sign, maybe more than 1.

Therefore, why should he settle? 

He holds all the cards, ultimately. He is a star QB, former MVP, and could sit out an entire season if need be and still be the #1 free agent a year from now. 

I can see him looking at what happened with Watson and saying "I want that."  But like with Watson, it's caveat emptor.  As I said above he hasn't finished the last 2 seasons and he does no good if he can't even play in the playoffs, not that his playoff record is that great. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

what about the part where he sucks in the playoffs or stays hurt ? 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Meanwhile, the Browns are thinking of restructuring Watson...

Right but either way Watson is not giving up a penny of guaranteed money, which is the point with Jackson's contract. 

I get that it's crazy money, but it's how things work. Cleveland gave out that contract and now any elite QB should consider it the starting point for discussions. Even if the entire contract is not guaranteed, agents will demand Watson's guaranteed money plus whatever else that may or may not be guaranteed. 

I feel 0 sympathy for billionaire owners who, if the roles were reversed, would also demand every penny they could get. 

Someone will give Lamar a fully guaranteed deal, so why would the player accept anything less? Whether it's a good idea for the team or not is sort of irrelevant to the conversation.

If a team would do that for Watson, with all his off field baggage, then someone like Lamar, who is a bigger star and has accomplished more, can also get it. 

I hope he goes to the NFC and makes a Brinks truck load of cash. He's a great player and does things the right way. It's just that he isn't going to allow his career to go the way of RGIII where the team abuses him and leaves him busted up and without getting his big payday. 

I say good for Lamar. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean he kind of did. Watson told Cleveland no until they made that offer. Cleveland was desperate to get him.  Thats leverage.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Right but either way Watson is not giving up a penny of guaranteed money, which is the point with Jackson's contract. 

I get that it's crazy money, but it's how things work. Cleveland gave out that contract and now any elite QB should consider it the starting point for discussions. Even if the entire contract is not guaranteed, agents will demand Watson's guaranteed money plus whatever else that may or may not be guaranteed. 

I feel 0 sympathy for billionaire owners who, if the roles were reversed, would also demand every penny they could get. 

Someone will give Lamar a fully guaranteed deal, so why would the player accept anything less? Whether it's a good idea for the team or not is sort of irrelevant to the conversation.

If a team would do that for Watson, with all his off field baggage, then someone like Lamar, who is a bigger star and has accomplished more, can also get it. 

I hope he goes to the NFC and makes a Brinks truck load of cash. He's a great player and does things the right way. It's just that he isn't going to allow his career to go the way of RGIII where the team abuses him and leaves him busted up and without getting his big payday. 

I say good for Lamar. 

I really don't think one guaranteed contract from one of the worst-run franchises in professional sports will become a binding precedent for all major QB negotiations going forward.  Agents (or QB moms) are free to ask for whatever they want, but I expect the Watson contract will prove to be an outlier (if not an outright cautionary tale).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

25 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Rodgers signed a 3 year, 150 million dollar contract last offseason that is 100% guaranteed. 

So I think it will become somewhat of a "thing" for top tier guys. 

They're talking about Rodgers on NFLN right now.  Rodgers just said, "I'll make a decision soon enough".

The guy is so full of himself.  As to his contract and future I hope it messes up the Packers, so others won't follow suit.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BayBuck said:

I really don't think one guaranteed contract from one of the worst-run franchises in professional sports will become a binding precedent for all major QB negotiations going forward.  Agents (or QB moms) are free to ask for whatever they want, but I expect the Watson contract will prove to be an outlier (if not an outright cautionary tale).

It might not be, if there’s a bidding war for a QB. 

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Meanwhile, the Browns are thinking of restructuring Watson...

The Browns are restructuring Watson for the same reason the Bills will restructure Allen. Both need cap space and both players have big salaries in an early year of a long contract - and the money being restructured in both cases is guaranteed anyway. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.