Lamar Jackson wants guarantees that exceed Watson contract

SCBills

1 minute ago, NeverOutNick said:

Looks like they did the non exclusive franchise tag. I think that’s smart to let him see what he can get and then match if you like it. If not you get a couple first rounders and we all know Baltimore knows how to draft 

I'm in right now thinking Atlanta will be the home of Lamar in a couple of weeks.

7 minutes ago, Process said:

Couldn't they get more than two first round picks by just franchise tag/trading him?

Yes, but likely not much more, and the Exclusive Franchise Tag locks him to Baltimore and puts the onus on the Baltimore GM to 1. Find a trade partner and/or 2. Work out a long term deal with Lamar.

Using the non exclusive tag opens it up so Lamar and "his agent" can go negotiate with teams, and if they come to an agreement that Baltimore doesnt want to match, Baltimore gets 2 1st round picks.

It's basically a way to push all the foot work onto Jackson. "Oh, you dont want to be here at our offer? Fine, go find one yourself and we'll take our picks."

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, but the Franchise Tag locks him to Baltimore and puts the onus on the Baltimore GM to 1. Find a trade partner and/or 2. Work out a long term deal with Lamar.

Using the non exclusive tag opens it up so Lamar and "his agent" can go negotiate with teams, and if they come to an agreement that Baltimore doesnt want to match, Baltimore gets 2 1st round picks.

It's basically a way to push all the foot work onto Jackson. "Oh, you dont want to be here at our offer? Fine, go find one yourself and we'll take our picks."

Exactly.  I'm going with Atlanta because of the cap on hand and their picks will make the Ravens say goodbye.

Lamar HAS to pick one of these teams.  I just can't see him playing on the tag, BUT if anyone is crazy enough to do it, it's Lamar.

LOL

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Exactly.  I'm going with Atlanta because of the cap on hand and their picks will make the Ravens say goodbye.

Lamar HAS to pick one of these teams.  I just can't see him playing on the tag, BUT if anyone is crazy enough to do it, it's Lamar.

LOL

Yeah, Ive been saying Atlanta or Miami since last year. And I lean towards Atlanta.

Arthur Blank is already salivating at the Jackson/Vick mash-up marketing opportunities in Atlanta. And even with Carr in NO, Jackson makes them the immediate favorites in the Division. Plus, Blank has the cash, the picks, and the desire.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Just had the non-exclusive franchise tag placed on him...Ravens either don't care if he goes or think a team won't give up 2 firsts for him.

I know everyone and their dog has an opinion on this, but I think the Ravens tried to deal fairly with Lamar and he just refuses to be rationale.

They are done with it.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, nucci said:

or they know they can't sign him

Reports say they were still $100M apart while talking at the Combine last week. Which means he wants fully guaranteed, and they want a more traditional contract. So yeah, they definitely can't sign him.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I know everyone and their dog has an opinion on this, but I think the Ravens tried to deal fairly with Lamar and he just refuses to be rationale.

They are done with it.

I dont know that I'd say he refuses to be rational, as much as he is just sitting there pointing to a picture of Deshaun Watson and his fully guaranteed contract, and the Ravens dont see it as much of a precendent as Lamar does. I understand and agree with both sides there. Good for Lamar, but that's a huge gamble for a team.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I understand and agree with both sides there.

I know a lot of fans do.  I just happen to think Lamar should have signed a "just better than Josh" contract 2 years ago.

It's not a risk for the Ravens anymore.  They are just to the point where they said, they did all they could and sign the divorce papers.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Process said:

Couldn't they get more than two first round picks by just franchise tag/trading him?

I would have thought so. I’m stunned they used the non-exclusive franchise tag. A mid to late 1st round pick this year and one next is not great value. I hope the Giants go after him.They have the 24th pick. 

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I would have thought so. I’m stunned they used the non-exclusive franchise tag. A mid to late 1st round pick this year and one next is not great value. I hope the Giants go after him.They have the 24th pick. 

Tough to find a team that is willing to:

1. Shell out $270M fully guaranteed

and

2. Part with more than 2 1sts for their troubles

That's already a huge price tag.

Baltimore got the guy for two 2nds. They got as much as they could out of him (1 MVP season and no playoff wins). Getting two 1sts back is pretty good, imo.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Something to keep in mind when discussing possible landing places for Lamar...

For NFL contracts, at the time of signing, the guaranteed portions must be put into escrow. Meaning, whenever a contract is signed, the team owner is writing a cash check for the guaranteed amount.

How many owners have $250M-300M sitting around liquid?

Does Dan Snyder have $270M in cash?

We know Steve Ross, Arthur Blank, and David Tepper do. Not sure about others.

• Shocked 1

This is going to be a lot of fun to follow, and I hope some NFC team makes Lamar the highest paid player in NFL history. 

Makes the AFC a little easier, and Lamar gets a serious payday. If you look at SpotTrac he was making peanuts (like 1 million or so per season until his 5th year option) while the Ravens ran him into the ground. I can't blame the man for wanting to get his guaranteed money. 

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Ravens should put the non-exclusive tag, let Lamar go find another team's best offer, then just match it and say "see, you got top market $$"

Theoretically, could another team sign Lamar to an offer sheet that, for example, gave him a $5 million bonus for every game played in Baltimore as a poison pill to stop the Ravens from matching? 

i was too young to remember it, but this sounds like that 90's OL buff lost to indy.  remember reading that loopholes been covered, so doubtful, but A+ for creativity 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.