A REPORTER THINKS Packers are "done with Rodgers"

Big Turk

20 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

Hey at least they didn't give him a contact extension before last year.   That Jordan Love pick looks worse and worse every year

I mean... You fancy yourself a super bowl contender in 2020.  

1st round - you get a QB despite having rodgers.  Aiyuk went 1 pick beforehand - but this was a LOADED WR draft.  Higgins and Pittman were the next 2 off the board.  Has to be somewhat frustrating to see your team use a premium pick on your replacement.

2nd round - You draft Dillon.. Despite having a feature back in Jones, and a power back in jamaal williams.  Dillons a pretty good player, but why?  Some solid linebackers and offensive linemen who they could have had.  It's like you're drafting to piss off your starters.  

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

From what little we saw of him this past season, gotta say I was impressed. 

The only issue i see is... you drafted him in 2020.  You burned through 3 years of rookie contract.  You already have to extend him basically. 

21 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Basically think he blew off the offseason program, mailed it in during the season and didn't show up in shape.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/17/report-packers-are-disgusted-with-aaron-rodgers-theyre-done-with-him/

21 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

Hey at least they didn't give him a contact extension before last year.   That Jordan Love pick looks worse and worse every year

So looking at Spotrac, initially it appears that Rodgers is un-tradeable.  $99.8M dead cap

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

Fully guaranteed

But

There are these big "option bonuses".  $105M of them over 3 years.  Whose option?

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So looking at Spotrac, initially it appears that Rodgers is un-tradeable.  $99.8M dead cap

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

Fully guaranteed

But

There are these big "option bonuses".  $105M of them over 3 years.  Whose option?

If you click on the red X to the right of his 2023 line you can see a "Pre-6/1" trade will cost GB $40M in Dead Money.

The new team will pick up the rest of the guarantees.

22 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

“They are done with Rodgers,” McGinn said, citing his own instincts, his knowledge of the league, and “discussions with someone who [has] first-hand knowledge” of the Packers.

HAHAHAHA

This "reporter" is citing his own instincts? I know journalism isn't held to the same standards it once was, but this is a joke right?

McGinn covered the Packers for almost 40 years... I would say his instincts deserve some credence

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Gregg said:

I hope they don't get Carr either as he would also be an upgrade over what they have. I am hoping they strike out on getting one of the QB's and have to resign White with Wilson as the backup again.

Carr is lousy.  Terrible leader, and hasn't won anything.  We went 14-4 last year.  Why are we worried about the Jets?  They need to be worried about us.  We get the O line fixed and we will be in strong contention for the Super Bowl.  Bringing in aging veteran QB's is usually not a recipe for success.  Look at the Colts and the Broncos.  Rodgers is a cancer.  Sure he has put up great numbers in his career.  But he has been to how many Super Bowls since becoming the starter in 2008?  ONE!!  I would bet that most of the Packers are ready for Jordan Love to take over.  

12 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Carr is lousy.  Terrible leader, and hasn't won anything.  We went 14-4 last year.  Why are we worried about the Jets?  They need to be worried about us.  We get the O line fixed and we will be in strong contention for the Super Bowl.  Bringing in aging veteran QB's is usually not a recipe for success.  Look at the Colts and the Broncos.  Rodgers is a cancer.  Sure he has put up great numbers in his career.  But he has been to how many Super Bowls since becoming the starter in 2008?  ONE!!  I would bet that most of the Packers are ready for Jordan Love to take over.  

The Broncos did win a Super Bowl with Manning. Although he was carried by the defense as his skills had declined at that point. Carr is only 31 so he is still in his prime. Last year he threw for 3,522 yards with 24 TD's and 14 INT's. To compare that Wilson threw for 1,688 yards with 6 TD's and 7 INT's. White threw for 1,192 yards with 3 TD's and 4 INT's. Carr is a big upgrade for them. Although they do need to improve their OL just like the Bills. Last year both games were tough, hard-fought games. I expect it will be the same this coming season. Overall, their roster is pretty good. The Bills will have competition with the Jets and Dolphins for the AFCE.

Rodgers is a drama queen, self-centered, egotistical -- I'll go along with all of that.

But the Packers roster overall is very weak, with a lot of holes.  They managed to win this year because of Rodgers, not in spite of him.  They probably should dump him this year, accept the losing that will happen, and let Love play to see if he's got the talent to ride the wave back up.  

As for where Rodgers might end up next year, it would be ironic if he goes to the Raiders and reunites with Davante Adams.  

Green Bay had 30 consecutive years of HOF/MVP type QB play and has 3 Super bowl appearances and 2 titles to show for it. 

That is a total indictment of the organization. 

Big Ben has the same record in Super Bowls as Favre and Rodgers combined (3 appearances, 2 wins)

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

Rodgers is a drama queen, self-centered, egotistical -- I'll go along with all of that.

But the Packers roster overall is very weak, with a lot of holes.  They managed to win this year because of Rodgers, not in spite of him.  They probably should dump him this year, accept the losing that will happen, and let Love play to see if he's got the talent to ride the wave back up.  

As for where Rodgers might end up next year, it would be ironic if he goes to the Raiders and reunites with Davante Adams.  

I mean how much did they really win this year?  

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

The Broncos did win a Super Bowl with Manning. Although he was carried by the defense as his skills had declined at that point. Carr is only 31 so he is still in his prime. Last year he threw for 3,522 yards with 24 TD's and 14 INT's. To compare that Wilson threw for 1,688 yards with 6 TD's and 7 INT's. White threw for 1,192 yards with 3 TD's and 4 INT's. Carr is a big upgrade for them. Although they do need to improve their OL just like the Bills. Last year both games were tough, hard-fought games. I expect it will be the same this coming season. Overall, their roster is pretty good. The Bills will have competition with the Jets and Dolphins for the AFCE.

I agree that the Bills will have competition from the Jets and the Dolphins.  And the Pats never seem to absolutely suck.  But Derrick Carr comes up small in big games.  I am not overly concerned.  I do think Mike White has some upside, if he can stay healthy.  But he is not a thick guy.  Kind of reminds me of a Rob Johnson type build.  And we know what happened to him.  

We need to bring our best next year.  Hopefully the punch in the gut by the Bengals will wake the organization up a bit.  Everyone needs to have that Stefan Diggs hunger and passion.  Including the coaches and management.  Just having Josh Allen is not enough to win championships.  The Chiefs haven't won two Super Bowls just because of Patrick Mahomes.  They have great coaching, an amazing TE.  A great O line, and a lot of guys who play with a lot of passion.  We need to find that.  Lets go Buffalo.

21 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

If you click on the red X to the right of his 2023 line you can see a "Pre-6/1" trade will cost GB $40M in Dead Money.

The new team will pick up the rest of the guarantees.

That's still a *****-ton of cap for a team that's currently $9M over the cap

• Agree 1

On 2/20/2023 at 2:30 PM, Gregg said:

By his standards he had a down year throwing for 3,695 yards with 26 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. That isn't a bad year overall, but the decline may have started. He is 39 and I don't see him playing well into his mid 40's like Brady did. I still don't want him going to the Jets as he is still good enough to get them to the playoffs. That would make things harder for the Bills.

If he goes to the Jets, that will make them a real threat for the division overnight.   Breece Hall will bring the run game when he returns and all of a sudden the Jets are really for real.  

17 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

If he goes to the Jets, that will make them a real threat for the division overnight.   Breece Hall will bring the run game when he returns and all of a sudden the Jets are really for real.  

I wouldn't count on Breece for next year. Didn't he have the same injury Barkley had? When he came back it took him 2 years to get back to his elite level of play which we saw last season. I expect a 3-team fight in the AFCE with the Pats coming in last.

Green Bay is sick of him, refused to really build around him for years, and also doesn't want him back but will only trade him to an AFC team.

OK. LOL

The Packers won the lottery back to back with HOF level QBs for 30 years and got Big Ben's career out of it. That is malfeasance.

But it's because they are always looking to do everything half way, to leave themselves an out, instead of going all in to win. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Is the reporter Sully?

Actually, whatever mulyuk is spinning the Rodgers story.  Your suggestion has merit under different circumstances, such as the Highmark  'media hospitality table' is somehow lacking exposé.  Pack your own granola bar, Sullivan. 🤨

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's just my impression after watching that entire hour long interview. It was pretty interesting to see a different side of Rodgers. 

IMO, he will retire. We'll see. Hopefully soon. 

Just a lot of money to give up with retiring this year

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

And he’s a 1% owner of the Bucks which might not seem like a lot but that’s gonna continue to grow in value. 

I read in the PFT article about the Haslam's buying into the Bucks that Rodgers 1% would be worth about $33 million at that price (the price the Haslams are paying for a %). 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.