The #1 Priority, Protect The QB

H2o

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I'm not going to do anything. I'm stating "they" get no more passes. how many do you think they should get? 5, 7, 10 years? it's been 5 now in to JA's career. there is NO more time to waste!

I understand the frustration.., NO more time to waste is a bit dramatic, I am nearing the end of my patience with McDermott though, we definitely don’t want to be making a habit of poor performances in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mannc said:

It also means creating an offensive system where slow-developing drop-back passes aren’t the bread and butter of your offense. It’s just asking for trouble.

The Chiefs, Eagles and Niners seem to run an awful lot of plays where receivers are wide open within 7-8 yards of the line of scrimmage, giving the QB a lot of easy, quick-developing options.  

By the end of the season, it seemed like the offense had completely abandoned the short passing game completely in favor of those slow-developing drop-backs and when you have a subpar O-line, that's not a good recipe.  I don't understand how they saw any logic in that.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

Yup, he will lead the league in turnovers when he literally has 2-3 turnstiles in front of him. Is it any surprise why the #1 and #2 O lines this year in the league were in the SB?

Allen 19 overall turnovers

Mahomes 12 overall turnovers

Burrow 15 overall turnovers

GIve Josh Allen a real top 5 NFL line and I can almost guarantee his turnover rate drops. Josh has hid the O line deficiencies for far too long, enough is enough. 

Want to know how you can't just blame the turnovers on Josh and that the line has culpability here too?  Josh took 33 sacks this year vs 26 each of the 2 previous seasons.  The line was clearly an issue.  Josh will own them all and he repeatedly says they're on him, but the line cannot be overlooked.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mannc said:

It also means creating an offensive system where slow-developing drop-back passes aren’t the bread and butter of your offense. It’s just asking for trouble.

The Chiefs, Eagles and Niners seem to run an awful lot of plays where receivers are wide open within 7-8 yards of the line of scrimmage, giving the QB a lot of easy, quick-developing options.  

Which in turn make their offensive lines look so much better 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mannc said:

I agree completely and am not really sold the OL is a great problem when the plays were to hold the ball for so long.  In the Rams game, Josh broke the Bills record for completion percentage and I belive that game had is lowest average time to release a ball in his career.  That needs to be more the plan than how they ended the year.  If they do anything this year it needs to be developing the quick short game.  It actually will open up the longer game.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Dopey said:

He should stop leading the league in turnovers before his time runs out then. That’s a good start. 

perhaps not having to do it all himself will equate to fewer turnovers?  

3 hours ago, Process said:

O line and WR. Defense doesn't matter.

would like a short yardage back at some point also.  later in the draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

well put. Anybody who wants a Super Bowl out of this qb realizes time is running out.

Thank you 🍺....We've already managed to waste Josh's 5 year rookie window. We've seen organizations like the Chiefs and Chargers literally overhaul their entire OL in 1 off-season. Yet we're so willing to give Sean & Brandon a "lifetime pass" because they pulled the Bills out of the drought.  Did McB really get us out of the drought?  Or was it really Andy Dalton & Josh Allen?  If these 2 guys don't show an extreme commitment to surrounding Josh with multiple players (OL/WR2), then I wash my hands of them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Thank you 🍺....We've already managed to waste Josh's 5 year rookie window. We've seen organizations like the Chiefs and Chargers literally overhaul their entire OL in 1 off-season. Yet we're so willing to give Sean & Brandon a "lifetime pass" because they pulled the Bills out of the drought.  Did McB really get us out of the drought?  Or was it really Andy Dalton & Josh Allen?  If these 2 guys don't show an extreme commitment to surrounding Josh with multiple players (OL/WR2), then I wash my hands of them.

Tie Rod broke the drought though.. and Dalton 

5 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

what needs to be done and what will be done are obviously two different things.

time is not on their side and they have already wasted too many chances. close, sure but as we all know that's only good in horseshoes and hand grenades.

for myself, 2023 season will be the tell all season. regardless of the hurry up and wait crowd, who seem to year after year give them a pass. no more passes.

So what does this mean exactly?

I.E. if you are Terry Pegula and we don't get it done next year, you would move on from both Beane and McDermott?  Just one or the other?

Neither, but order the team to develop down a new path?

6 hours ago, H2o said:

Yes, the scheming has to be tweaked. Josh also has to take his check downs and let the game come to him. Still, the OL needs to at least give him 2-2.5 seconds back there consistently. The defense should not already be on him when he finishes his drop on half of the snaps. It's not conducive to success, nor the health of our QB long term. 

There are multiple facets that need to be improved upon. Certainly the OL needs more talent. But the answer is more complex than just throwing a ton of resources at it as that would only do so much if none of the other issues got addressed.

For starters, the scheme and communication between Allen and the receivers needs more than tweaking. Kurt Warner’s breakdown of the Cincy game showed several issues, including plays where:

- there was no hot read

- receivers failed to change adjust to a hot read route or look

- plays where Allen did not take shorter, open throws and held the ball too long while looking for a downfield throw

More talent at WR would also help. WRs who can uncover quickly give their QBs opportunities to get the ball out quickly. Again, the scheme has to support this, but more talent helps. 

Yes, I’d like to see the Bills OL become above average. It doesn’t need to be the best in the league, but it needs to be better. The WR corps needs to be better, the coaching needs to be better and the play calling needs to be better. 

So after lauding the Chiefs OL you OPEN with addressing Spencer Brown?

Andrew Wylie was worse in his 3rd season(2020) than Spencer Brown was last year.

The Bills have issues to address for sure but it's not impossible to imagine that they sign one UFA and add a day 2 player and their OL could be greatly improved.

They don't need to hand out a Joe Thuney contract(he might be their worst OL now) or trade a #1 for a top RT and move him to LT.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, H2o said:

It has been said numerous times, by numerous posters on this site. We NEED to shell out the necessary resources to protect the QB. FA $$$, draft picks, trades, whatever we have to do to make it happen. Watching that game last night, against the most fearsome defensive front in 35 years statistically (based off the number of sacks), the Chiefs OL pretty much dominated. The Chiefs OL is the reason they won that game. Mahomes had the time he needed to do the things he needed to do. No, he didn't have big stats, but he had time to see the field and get the ball off. Pacheco and McKinnon had holes to run through. As a team, collectively, they averaged 6.1 yards per carry. They held one of the most disruptive defensive fronts to 0 sacks and 1 TFL for the entire game. 

The Chiefs OL was in peril a couple of seasons ago. Patrick didn't have the time he needed back there and was taking some unnecessary punishment. What did the Chiefs do? They signed Joe Thuney in FA, drafted Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith, then traded for Orlando Brown. A complete overhaul in one offseason that turned a weakness into a strength. Their RT situation still isn't the greatest, but Wylie can hold his own. This is what the Chiefs did to protect their star QB. 

It's clear we need a total overhaul up front. You can't throw all your chips into a guy they supposedly hope takes a step forward in Spencer Brown at RT. You can't throw all your chips into hoping Morse can make it through a season without another concussion. You can't throw all your chips into some 2nd or 3rd tier FA to play LG, hoping you get lucky. You can't throw all of your chips into a middling RG who isn't bad and has some versatility, but at the same time isn't anything more than average either. Dawkins is the only guy that should be an unquestioned starter going into 2023. Morse, maybe, but we need to have a solid backup option because of the concussion issues. A top tier OL keeps Josh from running for his life on almost every single play. It keeps him from having to run a scramble drill find an open man and then throw the ball off script. If they actually give him a pocket he can stand in, then he can process everything without hindrance for a couple of seconds, and get the ball out to someone with his feet set. I don't care how much Josh has done this effectively in the past, throwing the ball while on the move, he deserves better. If they build a top tier OL then our RB's will actually be a threat versus just being a decoy they hope keeps a defense honest. It will change the entire dynamic of this team on offense and the effects will be across the board. It may not be "sexy", it may not be exciting like bringing in another star WR, but this is what ABSOLUTELY needs to be done for Josh. 

With each passing season, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's pointless to have a good defense.

The Eagles were statistically one of the best pass rushing teams in NFL history.  They barely sniffed Patrick Mahomes the entire night, and would have allowed 40+ points if the Chiefs didn't fall down at the 1-yard-line.  

The Chiefs best defender (Chris Jones) and the rest of the D-Line was bulldozed back, pretty much every time the Eagles decided to run a QB sneak.  It was almost embarrassing.  The only play they made the entire night was picking up a ball that Jalen Hurts literally dropped on the turf and kicked to them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

With each passing season, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's pointless to have a good defense.

The Eagles were statistically one of the best pass rushing teams in NFL history.  They barely sniffed Patrick Mahomes the entire night, and would have allowed 40+ points if the Chiefs didn't fall down at the 1-yard-line.  

The Chiefs best defender (Chris Jones) and the rest of the D-Line was bulldozed back, pretty much every time the Eagles decided to run a QB sneak.  It was almost embarrassing.  The only play they made the entire night was picking up a ball that Jalen Hurts literally dropped on the turf and kicked to them.

You are correct, but I fear that OBD will be the last place in the universe that sees the light...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.