Is Spencer Brown our long-term RT?

Success

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agree completely.    With few exceptions most offensive lineman are a liability until year 3.......some, like the McGary example, take 4 years to get there.

The people who think that the Bills can just throw 3 early draft picks at the offensive line and fix it immediately next season are delusional.

The reality is that the Bills aren't likely to be able to be active in free agency for top offensive lineman and Dawkins and Morse are likely to continue to regress.

So we are probably in for another underwhelming display of offensive line play next season even if they hit an absolute HR and draft 2-3 future good NFL starters.

In the meantime they will have to get more out of what they have and scheme to their strengths and around their deficiencies more efficiently (like most teams have to, there are few good offensive lines in the NFL).

Totally agree with this and I also think the Bills got to find a way to pony up and land one sure thing for the offensive line in free agency whatever position that may be. They probably need that guy and a couple draft picks to develop.

The difficulty in replacing Brown next year is who is available and at what cost.  I dont think it could be said that RT is the missing link on the team, so what resources would it take to get a real improvement.  

If they try to draft his replacement the best shot is at the end of the 1st round.  Last year 5 OL were taken in the 1st round and 3 of them in the top 10 picks. So, maybe the Bills could get the 4th- 6th best OL prospect in the draft with their pick.  It would be hard to think that there is a notably better prospect than Brown if they dont trade up.  Any OL in the draft that is a off the bus starter will unlikely be gone when they pick.  Of course there could be a great prospect on the board but not likely a sure thing.  With their first pick I would like to see them take the player that they think has the best possibility of being a star, regardless of position.  

Finding his replacement as a free agent would be expensive.  Any tackle that is considered good will not be cheep.  And, we all know the Bill are tight on the cap.  

We know Brown has the physical tools so the idea of him taking a step forward in year 3 is not completely unreasonable.  

Im not saying they should not try to improve the position but dont think they should use a lot of the limited resources on a flyer.  

Edited by artmalibu

Brown showed promise his rookie year. Dealt with injuries. And struggled this season.

He’s still in the mix - a serviceable depth player for his rookie contract at the very least - but they need to add a 2nd/3rd round pick to push him. He can’t enter the summer as the default starter.

I wonder about transitioning him inside…

Beane says he needs more reps due to injuries slowing his progress. I fully expect a vet RT to come in and compete for the #1 job. 

If he has any chance of being a good RT, a healthy summer with Kromer will be just what he needs.

12 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Any oline expert on here have an opinion on Doyle’s ceiling?

That ACL tear really hurt his progress, but he’s a big guy and very good athlete. Not sure if he’ll be ready for TC. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not dumping him. But I think they have to have some form of competition for him in camp and it has to be a proper open competition where they play the best guy.

This. It’s too early to tell with Brown. A competent starting RT or Swing Tackle should be brought in. Then it should be about who earns what in the competition. 

• Agree 1

Is Brown the solution or part of the problem - has size/wingspan and very high RAS score (like Doyle) but not an impressive positional development background - relatively new to the position, played small-school ball, and worst of all, may have slow feet and lacks a feel for the position or game.  Last season moved to left tackle when Dawkins was out (COVID) and was freaking terrible, a lot worse than at RT.

So he really is a project who was thrown into the position earlier than expected and has not earned it ? McBeane is giving benefit of doubt based on the above and the back injury which indicates that really have no choice at the moment and hope that Kromer can teach him better technique and adjustments as speed rusher on his edge are a problem...

Kind of surprised no one referenced today's BN which had an article on this very subject. Or maybe that was what motivated OP to start thread??

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/with-better-protection-for-josh-allen-a-top-priority-bills-need-spencer-brown-to-elevate/article_c975a466-9f45-11ed-861b-470ba25bdc5a.html

I have hopes when you factor in he had no off-season, training camp, or pre-season, then add in a new line coach who I'm sure had different techniques to learn plus a different player at RG than he had in 2021 as Bates moved over.  Having Brown and Bates, two relatively inexperienced players next to each other likely didn't help any either.  Then he got hurt in week 6 and didn't make it back to week 10, likely still not at 100%. 

He attended a smaller college/conference and also didn't play in 2020 due to Covid shutting down program so add all this in, he's still a work in progress.  He's a cheap contract so he's going anywhere.  Do you want to trust him to improve in 2023 or bring in a mid level vet to be backup or take over if no improvement.  Also think better play along rest of line will make Brown look better on it's own. 

I think in general the Bills tend to draft a number of players who have a potential large upside, but will take a while to get there.  Edmunds, Knox, Allen are a couple of names that come to mind.  That was easier to deal with when team wasn't in a win now mode as they are today.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

If he has an injury free offseason with full training and coaching from one of the online (Joe Staley ) gurus....I say....YES.

agreed.  This board overreacts to everything.   the guy had f ing back f ing surgery , missing the entire off season, camp and pre season and now the folks on this board want to shoot him.   sigh.  

• Like (+1) 1

Brown played 7 on 7 football at a small high school as a TE. Went to a small university to play tackle for 2 years I believe. Becaise of covid, he missed the whole season before he was drafted. To say he's a project would be a huge understatement.

But he's one of the most athletic human beings in the entire NFL and he has a great coach.

Having said that, he needs competition this year in a prove-it season.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, no. In some world there is probably a scenario where Spencer eventually becomes a solid stater for some team.

However, he was too big of a liability this year. After the whooping our line took all year, I think a tackle in the first round or ponying up for a proven good starter is likely. That will push Brown to swing tackle where he will play out the next two years and probably move on. Hope the best for him but too important of a position to play around.

1 minute ago, Billznut said:

I hope the Bills draft an OT very high this year. Put the rookie at RT, make Brown the swing tackle. And in a few years if the rookie develops into a stud OT, we have our replacement for Dawkins already. 

Dawkins could also slide to LG or RT if the Bills could land a good LT prospect too.

5 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

If I recall correctly last year we acted like our success depended on Spencer Brown being in the lineup.  I thought Kromer was going to do a much better job of getting the best out of talent.  

It's not on Kromer, IMO. The Bills offensive concept is an OL nightmare: a pass heavy offense that doesn't have a strong short passing game. Good luck.

Edited by vincec
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The people who think that the Bills can just throw 3 early draft picks at the offensive line and fix it immediately next season are delusional.

OK, I respect this. However my question is, what happens if a team never does this?  Imo they wind up like the current weak Buffalo Bills. 

When he was draft eligible, I posted on TBD that I wanted the Bills to draft Landon Dickerson. He is already one of, if not the the best guard in the NFL and would also be a great center. He would have protected Josh, vastly improved the Bills running game, and really helped on short yardage plays. Is there is a comparible player in college now? If so, I want the Bills to go after him. Do you know of one?

That said, due to the condition of Tre and Poyer, I fully expect McDermott (notice I didn't say Beane) to draft a first round safety and probably a second round corner. 

Sad indeed. 

Edited by Bill from NYC

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.