Footing Yesterday

since79

I may be off base here, but I notice very early in the game and throughout, players in all three phases on our team were focused on their footing.   I don't know if this was  discussed in our pregame but it was obvious players were reacting.  Often in all three phase our equipment staff would run out with rugs for them to clean their cleats.  I saw special teams guys asking the blower to clean their spot before coverage.  Meanwhile I never saw anyone on the Bengals concerned about it or addressing it.

If a seed was planted mentally, they could not get this off their mind.  You become soft in your cushion, breaking down earlier in a tackle and not driving with force.   Cinci had non of these problems.  With our coaches wanting to control the minutia, I think footing likely was mentioned and became a distraction and excuse. We certainly were focused on the wrong things.

We were on roller skates they were on snow shoes.

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah there was a pass somewhat early to Diggs, about a 10 yarder.  He was running like he was more trying to be careful and not slip than anything else.  Felt like the entire game, bills were all running in quicksand, or at least they felt they were.

I noticed that too.  It was on a third down and there was some pressure on Josh which caused the slight overthrow but on a normal dry field Diggs would have been able to sprint and get under it or close enough for a diving attempt.  Bad breaks man.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Cincy had footing problems too. We just didnt take advantage of it by adjusting to a power running game and instead stayed in our finesse passing game because apparently that is what wins January playoff games in Buffalo.

That because Bills don’t really have a power running game and the offensive line couldn’t block for our finned passing game

Cincy threw short passes to wide open guys and our footing was awful, then they pounded the run.  Meanwhile Buffalo is throwing deep sideline passes in the snowfall with probably 5% chance to be completed.  Footing was bad but a coaching and scheme mismatch was worse.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

That because Bills don’t really have a power running game and the offensive line couldn’t block for our finned passing game

We've used it a couple times this year (like literally twice tops, but it does exist). Guys like Saffold and Brown, even Bates, can all execute it. Maybe not a classic power running game, but a decent one nonetheless. The only thing I'm unsure of is if Dorsey knows where to even find that section of the playbook.

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Cincy had footing problems too. We just didnt take advantage of it by adjusting to a power running game and instead stayed in our finesse passing game because apparently that is what wins January playoff games in Buffalo.

The only way to pick up a 3rd and 2 is a 7 step drop, scramble, throw it 40 yards down field (usually 5 yards over someone’s head) 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Many sports shows have discussed how this current Bills team will not benefit from Buffalo weather.  Because we are a finesse passing team with little power running.  Hope you anti dome-ers are happy. Hope that canopy hangs way way over.

• Like (+1) 1

I mean did they have a choice? Cinci was scoring on nearly every drive. Hard to run it when you’re down 2 TDs right off the bat. 

11 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

The only way to pick up a 3rd and 2 is a 7 step drop, scramble, throw it 40 yards down field (usually 5 yards over someone’s head) 

That was my comment right after the game.
stuck in my mind as major tactical error.

I mentioned today to work buddies ,  I could see our defense not able to push off at the snap , especially backers and that was right away in the game
thought for sure it was cleats , cuz did Not see the same from Bengals

Edited by 3rdand12

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Many sports shows have discussed how this current Bills team will not benefit from Buffalo weather.  Because we are a finesse passing team with little power running.  Hope you anti dome-ers are happy. Hope that canopy hangs way way over.

Did you hear the announcers talk about how the weather will help the passing game yesterday?

It makes the defense play softer coverage… They don’t know where you are going, and you do 

It’s all advantage to the offense if you can execute

Problem is they have three guys plus Hayden hurst who can get open fast…. Bills have digs and we have to keep Knox in to block the majority of time

If the bills had their three weapons at wide receiver we would’ve been cooking their guys all game to

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

or wearing them instead of jackboots for kicking azz

at least now we know who will be the sacrificial lamb , for this lambasting by Cinci !

The equipment guy did it in the locker room with a short cleat 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Did you hear the announcers talk about how the weather will help the passing game yesterday?

It makes the defense play softer coverage… They don’t know where you are going, and you do 

It’s all advantage to the offense if you can execute

Problem is they have three guys plus Hayden hurst who can get open fast…. Bills have digs and we have to keep Knox in to block the majority of time

If the bills had their three weapons at wide receiver we would’ve been cooking their guys all game to

Beasley anyone ?

and here we are 716 , Right back to Dorsey and play calling.

nuff said

nite folks

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

at least now we know who will be the sacrificial lamb , for this lambasting by Cinci !

The equipment guy did it in the locker room with a short cleat 

Beasley anyone ?

Beasleys not bad… The problem is you’re talking about a player on the plus side of 31 

He’s probably healthy since he hasn’t played all year… But he’s also not the player he was four years ago 

Add to the fact Dorsey has been running a college level offense all year and defenses adjusted 6 weeks ago and he hasn’t … well it’s no wonder the bills WRs are having trouble separating 

• Agree 1

I noticed issues with footing but I thought the issue was not the bengals had better footing rather they gameplanned for it.  

1.  The bills sat in zone where you have to read and react but you cannot with poor footing.  Have to play more man.  Eventually they did but they were down 14-0.  Damage was done. 

2.  A couple run plays early were east west rather than quick hitters in the middle.  Generally they ran it too infrequently. 

the problem was gameplan not footing….they made the footing a disadvantage by not adjusting to it.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Beasleys not bad… The problem is you’re talking about a player on the plus side of 31 

He’s probably healthy since he hasn’t played all year… But he’s also not the player he was four years ago 

Add to the fact Dorsey has been running a college level offense all year and defenses adjusted 6 weeks ago and he hasn’t … well it’s no wonder the bills WRs are having trouble separating 

Beasley should have been used more against Cinci, instead of the deep shots. Sure hands and he was getting open much like the old days.
Moving forward , naw probably not.
 That is more my critique of Dorsey and perhaps Allen game calling.
I think we are agreed actually here  :)

21 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I noticed issues with footing but I thought the issue was not the bengals had better footing rather they gameplanned for it.  

1.  The bills sat in zone where you have to read and react but you cannot with poor footing.  Have to play more man.  Eventually they did but they were down 14-0.  Damage was done. 

2.  A couple run plays early were east west rather than quick hitters in the middle.  Generally they ran it too infrequently. 

the problem was gameplan not footing….they made the footing a disadvantage by not adjusting to it.  

It might be semantics. But yes. For whatever reason they could not gain any traction at times. Conceptually and actually.

23 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

100% this was yet another example of McD, Dorsey and Frazier not having any contingency plan in place. It should have been obvious after the first Bengals possession that footing on the field was a problem. It was quite evident even watching on TV so Frazier should have been able to not just see it but test out what he had seen by walking on the field. Dorsey is up in the booth so perhaps a spotter on the field might have made that aware to him. McD no excuse. It was obvious the field was slick and players were having issues. He could have easily spoken with Frazier and changed things up and started playing closer to the line of scrimmage or man coverage. It also seemed like our pass rushers werent getting much burst or maneuverability. Once again McD has to change it up with Frazier in game. In short each coach should have adjusted to the weather and to what the Bengals were doing and they failed utterly. They were literally deer in the headlights or in another appropriate analogy, the Bills were like flies trying in vain to get through a screen door. Trying hard but due to poor strategy, repeatedly failing and wasting their efforts.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.