Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

1 hour ago, QCity said:

Well let's see. He's past his prime, has an onerous contract, and has been caught using PEDs. What could go wrong?

It's been 3.5 years since he caught that Hail Mary, folks.  This fanbase has an unhealthy love affair with players that have won them a fantasy football title 5 years ago.

Hopkins is not the player he once was, but there is little doubt in my mind he would be a stud as #2 in our offense with Allen throwing the ball. The only on field concern would be his health

I still don't expect Hopkins to be on the Cardinals for the full season. At this point I think he'll be the top trade deadline candidate. By then the Cards will be something like 2-7 with their eye on Caleb Williams. If Gabe Davis still doesn't look the part as the WR2 I could see us making an in-season "over the hump" move like this. That scenario probably makes the most sense for all involved parties to be honest. We save money on Hopkins and get him in time for our brutal stretch run, Arizona gets to save face because no one could blame them for offloading him in the middle of a lost season, Hopkins gets to join a contender as they approach the playoffs. Everybody wins.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

To sum up:

- Cards want to dump Hopkins salary but still get something in trade for him. 

- Hopkins wants to go to a contender, but not so much that he’s willing to take a pay cut to do so. 

- Now the Cards have to decide if they’re going to pay him $20M for a lost season, keep him in hopes of trading him at the deadline (praying the whole time that he doesn’t get injured) or simply cut him post 6/1. 

I think this thread will go well beyond 300 pages. The ride’s not over yet. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, buffblue said:

Hopkins is not the player he once was, but there is little doubt in my mind he would be a stud as #2 in our offense with Allen throwing the ball. The only on field concern would be his health

Hopkins is known to help himself with his health.  Box checked...

• Like (+1) 1