Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

2 minutes ago, papazoid said:

still say dhop traded or cut before week #1

Yeah that's the likelihood I think.    They've moved on from him.   They aren't going go pay him $19M to catch passes from a backup QB and possibly finish last in the division and then additionally risk him getting injured and guaranteeing his 2024 salary as well.   

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Was this one of those 10 targets where Diggs was overthrown by 3 yards?

image.thumb.png.53f5ef925eca7b962fb2180b23ba3aa3.png

Also remember the reason everyone really wanted to get Hopkins.  So that Diggs wasn't double teamed all the time.

That's one target...

And yes everyone understands why they they want the Bills to pick up Hopkins.  That's not the topic of our conversation. 

As for being "double teamed all the time"... not really

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's one target...

And yes everyone understands why they they want the Bills to pick up Hopkins.  That's not the topic of our conversation. 

The idea of Diggs being "double teamed all the time" is hyperbolic. But that stat-line above is anecdotal, and ignores a lot of context. If it's a run play, or RPO with a handoff, and Diggs is on the field, he won't be double-covered. If it's a 4 WR set, he probably won't be double-covered. If the opposing defense is blitzing, he probably won't be double-covered. If the opposing D has an elite corner, he probably won't be double-covered.

But the fact that Diggs (according to that stat line) is the third most double-covered WR in the league perfectly exemplifies why we need a far better #2 than we currently appear to have.

33 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

The idea of Diggs being "double teamed all the time" is hyperbolic. But that stat-line above is anecdotal, and ignores a lot of context. If it's a run play, or RPO with a handoff, and Diggs is on the field, he won't be double-covered. If it's a 4 WR set, he probably won't be double-covered. If the opposing defense is blitzing, he probably won't be double-covered. If the opposing D has an elite corner, he probably won't be double-covered.

But the fact that Diggs (according to that stat line) is the third most double-covered WR in the league perfectly exemplifies why we need a far better #2 than we currently appear to have.

Anecdotes are not stats.

The fact is, Diggs is the most open WR in that group....for5 of the 6 reasons you listed.  Top WRs are rarely double covered.  

Gotta say - I'm genuinely surprised at the downvotes to my "we don't need another WR" comment.

The Colts would have had multiple championships with Peyton Manning if they followed the Pats lead - invest in the trenches, build the running game.  The Colts always went for MORE receivers, and the rest of the team was lacking because of it.

12 minutes ago, Success said:

Gotta say - I'm genuinely surprised at the downvotes to my "we don't need another WR" comment.

The Colts would have had multiple championships with Peyton Manning if they followed the Pats lead - invest in the trenches, build the running game.  The Colts always went for MORE receivers, and the rest of the team was lacking because of it.

We don’t NEED more WR’s. We can get it done with what we have now. 

However, if we can add DHop it’ll make it more likely that we get the job done this year. He and Diggs, Davis, Knox, Kincaid, unstoppable. Especially with our improved line. 

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's one target...

Sorry was at the amerks game tonight.

So basically you're saying he was doubled just as much but was open more than any of the other top receivers based off those stats.  Again, why didn't he do his job and why wouldn't he complain?  If he was open 60% of the time and didn't get targeted in double coverage then he shouldn't be upset.  right?

Edited by The Wiz

32 minutes ago, TOboy said:

We don’t NEED more WR’s. We can get it done with what we have now. 

However, if we can add DHop it’ll make it more likely that we get the job done this year. He and Diggs, Davis, Knox, Kincaid, unstoppable. Especially with our improved line. 

That's fair.

Naturally, I'd be thrilled if we got him.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's not.  No.   Still no top-half-of-league WR2.  Hopefully this Kincaid plan works out but if not they need somebody to play way above reasonable expectations based on their track record to be a very good WR corps.   Right now it's Diggs, a very good WR3 and a bunch of question marks.

and of course in addition to a hole at number two, there is the implicit issue of what if diggs has a sprained ankle? 

Gets real dicey real quickly. 

• Agree 1

I believe Beane had interest in Hopkins pre-draft, but when a deal wasn't done by the time he picked it was OVER.

He brought in 2 UFAs and drafted a 1st round F position TE and another WR.  No way he is interested in Hopkins anymore.

The candlelight vigil is over, let me know when the memorial service is scheduled.

19 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I believe Beane had interest in Hopkins pre-draft, but when a deal wasn't done by the time he picked it was OVER.

He brought in 2 UFAs and drafted a 1st round F position TE and another WR.  No way he is interested in Hopkins anymore.

The candlelight vigil is over, let me know when the memorial service is scheduled.

I’m sure he’s interested if the $ is redone or Hopkins is released

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’m sure he’s interested if the $ is redone or Hopkins is released

I have to say the ship has sailed after the draft.  I'd be shocked he takes a trade and if Hopkins is on the free market he will want (and get)

more than Beane has to offer.  We all have our opinions and mine is it's done.

3 hours ago, Success said:

E James had 5 seasons over 1200 yards, 3 over 1500 and 1 over 1700 in 7 seasons (he missed half a season  and several games in another).  

They missed out on many SBs because their coach was a bum who couldn’t properly prepare them for the post season. 

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Sorry was at the amerks game tonight.

So basically you're saying he was doubled just as much but was open more than any of the other top receivers based off those stats.  Again, why didn't he do his job and why wouldn't he complain?  If he was open 60% of the time and didn't get targeted in double coverage then he shouldn't be upset.  right?

He wasn’t even close to double teamed all the time as you claimed.  Therefore the rationale of bringing in Hopkins to draw off the double teams is weak. 

Diggs was targeted for a whopping 27% of Allen’s attempts.  That’s as many as Davis and Knox combined.  Then, in the final game, he was targeted 10 more times, catching 4 for 35.   He was AS useless as anyone else on the field, so, no—he absolutely does not get to yell at his QB in game. He can take his beef to the locker room.  But that wouldn’t be consistent with his style….

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Since we didn’t draft a DT, Beane is highly likely to sign a veteran as well extend DaQuan Jones. He could extend Oliver or put him out there on the trade block. We could free up 15 mil in cap space

Ed Oliver being traded was only ever a thing amongst the same type of fans who wanted Edmunds traded last year. He was never going anywhere.

Now that the Draft's over, he's even more so not going to be Traded. There's some decent depth options and fringe starters out there. A lot of them pretty long in the tooth. But nothing the caliber of Ed Oliver to replace him with.

I almost expect him to be extended at this point. Beane has talked up wanting to keep him every time his name has been brought up. And I know he hasn't lived up to his lofty expectations following his College career and being a Top 10 Pick - but he's at times dominant (especially when Miller was in the lineup) and we could do a lot worse.

I’m not buying that Dhop is fully off the table. A lot of guys added but no one has really proven anything on Sundays. Big mistake to go into another season like we did last year

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

I’m not buying that Dhop is fully off the table. A lot of guys added but no one has really proven anything on Sundays. Big mistake to go into another season like we did last year

Except we're not though. 

Dalton Kincaid is a TE in name only. He's going to be spread out wide in the vast majority, if not all of snaps. He was considered the best pass catcher in the entire Draft by many.

Deonte Harty proved to be a very intriguing deep threat in 2021. Enough for us to have to compete with other teams and pay him a substantial contract. He has elite speed and playmaking ability.

Sherfield put up solid numbers holding down Miami's WR3 spot last year and is expected to be our 5th or 6th pass catching option. Justin Shorter has prototypical measurables for an X WR and you never know how quickly he will be developed.

All of this with Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, and Khalil Shakir at WR and Dawson Knox at TE already in the fold.

Saying we're going into this season just like last season is just factually wrong. We are in a much better position.

Just because you personally feel our additions "haven't proven anything on Sunday's" doesn't mean the moves haven't been made and the roles haven't been filled. Beane's not going to say "BananaB's not impressed, I have to keep adding and forget what I've already done".

Arizona from the word go never seemed interested in moving him, unless there were an offer they absolutely couldn't refuse. They appear to be more than comfortable keeping him. They more than have the money to do so.

Hopkins seemed open to being moved to a contender and embraced the rumors. But that doesn't mean he's going to become a malcontent and force his way off the team. He could very well just be like "it's not happening? Okay, I'll just take the giant bag Arizona has me under contract for".

Even if he were to, at this point with what we did in the Draft and what we already had in place, our financial situation, the positions we didn't address in the Draft that we now have to address with cap space we have to come up with, and Beane consistently saying he's not interested - this idea is as dead as a doornail.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Except we're not though. 

Dalton Kincaid is a TE in name only. He's going to be spread out wide in the vast majority, if not all of snaps. He was considered the best pass catcher in the entire Draft by many.

Deonte Harty proved to be a very intriguing deep threat in 2021. Enough for us to have to compete with other teams and pay him a substantial contract. He has elite speed and playmaking ability.

Sherfield put up solid numbers holding down Miami's WR3 spot last year and is expected to be our 5th or 6th pass catching option. Justin Shorter has prototypical measurables for an X WR and you never know how quickly he will be developed.

All of this with Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, and Khalil Shakir at WR and Dawson Knox at TE already in the fold.

Saying we're going into this season just like last season is just factually wrong. We are in a much better position.

Just because you personally feel our additions "haven't proven anything on Sunday's" doesn't mean the moves haven't been made and the roles haven't been filled. Beane's not going to say "BananaB's not impressed, I have to keep adding and forget what I've already done".

Arizona from the word go never seemed interested in moving him, unless there were an offer they absolutely couldn't refuse. They appear to be more than comfortable keeping him. They more than have the money to do so.

Hopkins seemed open to being moved to a contender and embraced the rumors. But that doesn't mean he's going to become a malcontent and force his way off the team. He could very well just be like "it's not happening? Okay, I'll just take the giant bag Arizona has me under contract for".

Even if he were to, at this point with what we did in the Draft and what we already had in place, our financial situation, the positions we didn't address in the Draft we now have to address with cap space we don't have, and Beane consistently saying he's not interested - it's really time to let it go.

Two points: I believe Kincaid will actually get a lot snaps as a big slot. 

This is not going to help this thread achieve its natural destiny of 300 pages.

Edited by Dr. Who