Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

The thought that Beane would build long term at this point, is far fetched imo.  If we don’t win a SB in the next 2-3 years, there’s a good chance he won’t be around. If he wins a Super Bowl in the next 2 years, he’s bought himself another 4-5 years minimum imo.  

Josh Allen in his prime. Aging stars under contract that are still quite good. If we don’t go for it now, signing von and all those restructures were a complete waste 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm assuming 8 of the 19 missed games are due to the suspension. You're gambling on availability, that he'll be relatively healthy and maintain production. Some old timers have hearkened back to James Lofton. I dunno, but so far there hasn't been any perceivable drop off in his play. I think he's still got something left in the tank. Beck Water's concern about oline protection is another issue, but I don't think trading for DHop is going to tangibly affect that side of things. They've made their free agent plays on oline. I think they should add a day one or two pick as well, regardless of whether they get Hopkins or not.

I'M OFFENDED! Whose with me? One can only fantasize about him coming here and turning out like Lofton.

I'm gettin a chubby......albeit an old chubby.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

6 of the 19 missed games.  He was suspended 6 games.  What's unknown is how many of those games he might have missed or been less effective for had he not taken whatever PED he took to try to accelerate healing of his MCL injury - and since it 'flared up" at the end of the season, is it really Good to Go?

The perceivable drop off in Hopkins' play was in 2021, when he had rib and hamstring injuries which apparently hampered him while he was playing, and dropped from his usual 7 receptions and 78-80 YPG to 4 receptions and 57 ypg.  He wasn't hampered whilst playing in 2022, but he missed the first 6 games of the season (suspended) and the last 2 (flare up of knee injury), so it's a good question whether he could still maintain production over, say, a 20 or 21  game season at this point.

I think the Hopkins effect on OL, is that if the Bills spend their entire FA wad on Hopkins vs. picking up a capable DL or LB as FA continues, they're more likely to go heavy on D in the draft instead of drafting OL and WR.  Just my opinion and I'd love to be wrong.  I don't think the Bills will add a Day 1 or Day 2 OL pick if they sign DHop, for the preceding reason.

OH, Ho ho.

Since you ask:

Tristan Wirfs (RT, Tampa)

Justin Jefferson (WR, Vikings)

So, adding those two guarantees they will be better than every other team and guarantee a Super Bowl?  I don’t.  Problem 1: injury- if Allen or Diggs goes down, no Super Bowl.  Problem 2: what if KC or Cincinnati or someone else outscores them? Quite possible, even with those two additions.  Even if they magically got Justin Jefferson, is Diggs/Jefferson clearly better than Hill/Waddle in Miami or the Bengals WRs or the Eagles WRs?

Of course, I can’t say that those in the “all in - future cap problems be damned camp” are wrong.  I just would rather have a consistently competitive team - something that is possible with Josh Allen under contract - than have to reset the roster in a year or two and waste 2-3 years of Allen’s career rebuilding.  I believe that being consistently in the mix will maximize their chances of winning a Super Bowl as compared with “all in for a year, then rebuild”.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Is a drafted rookie the missing piece?

This is short-sighted thinking, that's the point.

It's like asking: would I rather drive a Lambo or BMW right now?

Obviously Lambo, but maybe I could only afford it for 1-2 years, then have to trade it in and drive a Honda civic (sorry to all Civic drivers) for the next 2 years.

OR, I could own and drive this BMW for the next 5 years (with the added bonus it might become a Lambo- you can see the analogy of a drafted player).

Maybe a bad analogy, but surely you see the point. 

On top of that, I'd argue OL/DL improvements have the ability to take us to the next level.  This is a team that was schooled in the trenches, multiple times this past season.  Protect Josh/give him more time, and add an early slot WR

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The thought that Beane would build long term at this point, is far fetched imo.  If we don’t win a SB in the next 2-3 years, there’s a good chance he won’t be around. If he wins a Super Bowl in the next 2 years, he’s bought himself another 4-5 years minimum imo.  

Josh Allen in his prime. Aging stars under contract that are still quite good. If we don’t ho for it now, signing von and all those restructures were a complete waste 

You can still go for it now, without tying up more $$$ in the future though.

And JMO, people can hate on it, but it would take a BIG mistake to get Beane fired in the next 4-5 years.  Big mistake, ie: trading for a 30+ year old WR with major cap constraints in future years.

He brought us a young/generational WB, that will be in the MVP running for next 5 years minimum.   He didn't have a Top pick to inherit either....he got creative to get us Josh, fix our Horrible cap situation, and get us to be SB contenders in under 3 years.

He's missed on decisions, but so has every GM (including Veach, Roseman, etc).

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Obviously Lambo, but maybe I could only afford it for 1-2 years, then have to trade it in and drive a Honda civic (sorry to all Civic drivers) for the next 2 years.

OR, I could own and drive this BMW for the next 5 years (with the added bonus it might become a Lambo- you can see the analogy of a drafted player).

On top of that, I'd argue OL/DL improvements have the ability to take us to the next level.  This is a team that was schooled in the trenches, multiple times this past season.  Protect Josh/give him more time, and add an early slot WR

But if the Lambo gets you laid and the BMW never does, maybe the Lambo is worth it.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Give me Dhop and a Super Bowl Chance now. Worry about the rebuild and ramifications later. People that bring up cap don't understand. If we won a Super Bowl this year or next or both, would any of you really give a sh*t about a small rebuild in 5 years? Come on

I think everyone understands why the Bills would make a push for a player like DHop so that they’d have a better chance of winning a SB in the next two seasons. But someone would have to be pretty clueless to think that there was any certainty to that or that it wouldn’t set them back after that two year window. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Why do you care about a small rebuild 5 years from now if we get Dhop now and win a Super Bowl or 2 in a 3 year window of having him. Yes, we will understand the ramifications of what it will mean on the cap 5 years down the road. But I'd still take that chance with Dhop for a couple years than some unknown rookie. So, when someone says "is dhop our missing piece?". He damn well could be. But I'd rather find that out than drafting an unknown

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I think everyone understands why the Bills would make a push for a player like DHop so that they’d have a better chance of winning a SB in the next two seasons. But someone would have to be pretty clueless to think that there was any certainty to that or that it wouldn’t set them back after that two year window. 

Once again, no one is saying that there is a certainty. And 2, of we pass on dhop, go the draft route and still don't win anything, is that worse 5 years down the road than going for Dhop now and at least giving us that better chance now and at least say we tried 5 years from now? Give me Dhop and take the chance

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Trust me, I want the SB victory and more talent, but building through the draft is the key.

How is trading for Hopkins going to stop us from building through the draft? We're talking about at most one 2nd round pick. The cap space issue I at least understand the concern there. As far as the trade compensation itself that's not even a consideration for me. Who really cares?

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Cheap/talented labor is the missing piece, to long term success.  This has propelled Cincy, KC, and even the Jets in recent years.

KC spent an offseason trading a 1st round pick for Orlando Brown and giving Joe Thuney a $16 million AAV contract. I agree they have drafted better than us but that's a different conversation.

Cincy in a way got lucky because of Burrow's injury. They got Burrow 1st overall then Chase 5th overall and absolutely nailed both picks. They also just gave Orlando Brown a big contract. What does any of this have to do with us possibly trading for Hopkins?

Every team that's contended for a championship over the past several years made a few swings to get there. Your thinking is drought era thinking. We don't have to think like that anymore. The real key to long term success is having an elite QB combined with top tier coaching and scouting. I'm not convinced our coaching and scouting are at the same level as the Chiefs and Bengals. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take swings to try and overtake them.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

You can still go for it now, without tying up more $$$ in the future though.

And JMO, people can hate on it, but it would take a BIG mistake to get Beane fired in the next 4-5 years.  Big mistake, ie: trading for a 30+ year old WR with major cap constraints in future years.

He brought us a young/generational WB, that will be in the MVP running for next 5 years minimum.   He didn't have a Top pick to inherit either....he got creative to get us Josh, fix our Horrible cap situation, and get us to be SB contenders in under 3 years.

He's missed on decisions, but so has every GM (including Veach, Roseman, etc).

Idk man.  I love Beane but giving him 4-5 years with no SB win is pushing it.  

All pro cornerstone players on D prior to Beane:  Milano, white, Poyer and hyde.  

He’s signed 1 good offensive lineman (and had to make him the highest paid C in the league to do so). He’s drafted and developed exactly no good OL to date (except the one he traded while keeping bums).  1 decent WR.  No good RBs (maybe cook too early to tell for sure).  1 good TE.  

Cornerstone players he’s drafted-  

Knox- 14m a year says he’s cornerstone

Rousseau- looks to be anyway.

Bass- hope to resign him.  Might be Beanes best pick.  

Gabe-  maybe- my vote is No unless he takes less than 5-6M aav.
Ed?  Probably not.

Tremaine- gone

harry- gone

Teller- tradeD

He’s made a bunch of free agent mistakes but he’s also hit on a lot:  Beasley, Brown, all the DL signing last year, Daryl Williams for 1 season and morse.  Trading for Bates was a plus.  He’s done a great job piecing the team together but his draft results have not

been good. Looking at the first 2 days of the draft, i would grade Josh, Diggs (some like to count this so I will), Knox and Rousseau successful picks.  4 players out of 13.  The rest haven’t lived up to our hopes.    

Taron, teller (but minus points for trading him), Gabe, Hamlin, hodgins, Dane and Neal are the day 3 guys that turned out to be solid players.  Taron and Teller being the only guys that I would consider

really good. 

I’m a big fan of Beane and hope that he’s our GM for the next 20+ years…..but show me the baby god dammit!  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

How is trading for Hopkins going to stop us from building through the draft? We're talking about at most one 2nd round pick. The cap space issue I at least understand the concern there. As far as the trade compensation itself that's not even a consideration for me. Who really cares?

KC spent an offseason trading a 1st round pick for Orlando Brown and giving Joe Thuney a $16 million AAV contract. I agree they have drafted better than us but that's a different conversation.

Cincy in a way got lucky because of Burrow's injury. They got Burrow 1st overall then Chase 5th overall and absolutely nailed both picks. They also just gave Orlando Brown a big contract. What does any of this have to do with us possibly trading for Hopkins?

Every team that's contended for a championship over the past several years made a few swings to get there. Your thinking is drought era thinking. We don't have to think like that anymore. The real key to long term success is having an elite QB combined with top tier coaching and scouting. I'm not convinced our coaching and scouting are at the same level as the Chiefs and Bengals. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take swings to try and overtake them.

Sorry my point was not clear.  It's all about the future cap implications to me. 

People can have different opinions, or even strategies, with hoe the future cap space should be managed.  

I'd consider myself 'moderate', not conservative, but realizing we already kicked the can on many high-$ contracts.  Voided years on Hyde, Dion, Von, and restructures on top of that.  I realize other teams are more aggressive, ie: Miami, possibly Jets with a Rodgers contract.  But to me, we've already leveraged enough future cap

• Agree 1

Some folks think that as long as we have Josh Allen, we're in the discussion for a SB means a conservative approach at player acquisition and building through the draft is the best counsel. I think if we don't win a SB in the next few years, Diggs won't be the only one who is irate with the regime. Josh Allen is in a legacy competition and Mahomes is up 2-0, Burrow has two number 1 receivers, and the conference seemingly keeps adding premium players. Win one now might very well open up more success later. Falling short anywhere similar to the last two years is going to bring a lot of dissension. I don't think the long game is psychologically realistic.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Idk man.  I love Beane but giving him 4-5 years with no SB win is pushing it.  

All pro cornerstone players on D prior to Beane:  Milano, white, Poyer and hyde.  

He’s signed 1 good offensive lineman (and had to make him the highest paid C in the league to do so). He’s drafted and developed exactly no good OL to date (except the one he traded while keeping bums).  1 decent WR.  No good RBs (maybe cook too early to tell for sure).  1 good TE.  

Cornerstone players he’s drafted-  

Knox- 14m a year says he’s cornerstone

Rousseau- looks to be anyway.

Bass- hope to resign him.  Might be Beanes best pick.  

Gabe-  maybe- my vote is No unless he takes less than 5-6M aav.
Ed?  Probably not.

Tremaine- gone

harry- gone

Teller- tradeD

He’s made a bunch of free agent mistakes but he’s also hit on a lot:  Beasley, Brown, all the DL signing last year, Daryl Williams for 1 season and morse.  Trading for Bates was a plus.  He’s done a great job piecing the team together but his draft results have not

been good. Looking at the first 2 days of the draft, i would grade Josh, Diggs (some like to count this so I will), Knox and Rousseau successful picks.  4 players out of 13.  The rest haven’t lived up to our hopes.    

Taron, teller (but minus points for trading him), Gabe, Hamlin, hodgins, Dane and Neal are the day 3 guys that turned out to be solid players.  Taron and Teller being the only guys that I would consider

really good. 

I’m a big fan of Beane and hope that he’s our GM for the next 20+ years…..but show me the baby god dammit!  

Agree on alot of this, and mainly he needs to get us that SB! 

But we are very close and key defensive injuries have happened last 2 years.  Not an excuse, just fact.  Tre in 2021, Hyde/Von in 2022.

We need a bit of luck to stay healthy, which is what every SB winner basically needs.

Beane has done too much, in short order, and future looks too bright (mainly Josh, but others), to give any time frame on Beane as of now

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Some folks think that as long as we have Josh Allen, we're in the discussion for a SB means a conservative approach at player acquisition and building through the draft is the best counsel. I think if we don't win a SB in the next few years, Diggs won't be the only one who is irate with the regime. Josh Allen is in a legacy competition and Mahomes is up 2-0, Burrow has two number 1 receivers, and the conference seemingly keeps adding premium players. Win one now might very well open up more success later. Falling short anywhere similar to the last two years is going to bring a lot of dissension. I don't think the long game is psychologically realistic.

That's just pure speculation.  And suits your own agenda to go for it now. 

• Agree 1