Tank the Pats game?

WIDE LEFT

4 minutes ago, Casey D said:

No.  Both would be 12-4, but Bills would have tiebreaker.

Do you happen to know what tiebreaker it is? The ESPN playoff machine has cincy as the 2 seed if that’s the case but it could be a quirk with strength of victory because the final game obviously doesn’t have a winning margin associated with it yet 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I believe you are incorrect.  We have the tie breaker over Bengals if we end up losing and they win.  

So if Chiefs win, we are 100% locked into the 2 seed and the outcome of the Pats game has no bearing on seeding.  

That was the point if the OP.

Asked above, but what tiebreaker do the Bills have over the Bengals?

Edited by UKBillFan

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Asked elsewhere, but what tiebreaker do the Bills have over the Bengals?

We would be tied on first tie breaker still and it goes to the second tie breaker which I believe is record vs common opponents which we have a 1 game advantage on.  They did the whole scenario earlier, we tie again on first tie breaker and win on second tie breaker.  

Bills can’t finish the season lower than the 2 seed if the Bills vs Bengals game is declared a no contest 

UPDATE:  Upon further review, it has now become clear what I was watching them report on TV was incorrect, both in what tie breaker would be the deciding factor (record vs common opponents) and the fact that either team had final claim yet to the tie breaker.  Its actually not yet determined, and can't be until this weeks games conclude and they tally final strength of wins numbers to see if Buf or Cincy wins on that tie breaker.  So to control our own destiny to not finish lower than the 2 seed, we need to beat NE.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We would be tied on first tie breaker still and it goes to the second tie breaker which I believe is record vs common opponents which we have a 1 game advantage on.  They did the whole scenario earlier, we tie again on first tie breaker and win on second tie breaker.  

Bills can’t finish the season lower than the 2 seed if the Bills vs Bengals game is declared a no contest 

So resting everyone is an option if Chiefs win…correct?

• Disagree 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Draft Kings is saying it will be based on SOV so the Bengals could overtake the Bills on Sunday:

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2023/1/4/23538979/bills-vs-bengals-playoff-picture-standings-implications-seeding-tie-vacated-home-field-advantage

New York Post agrees:

https://nypost.com/2023/01/05/how-potential-bills-bengals-cancellation-could-change-afc-playoffs/

AS is saying the Bengals could claim second seed too:

https://en.as.com/nfl/how-does-the-bills-vs-bengals-postponement-affect-nfl-playoff-scenarios-n/

In terms of common opponents tiebreaker, I think both sides have the same winning percentage of 70%, should the Bengals win and Bills lose on Sunday?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

yeah it looks like we’re 9-2 against teams that the Bengals have also played, while the Bengals are… 8-3  (doing the math on my iPhone, wish I had a monitor to do a side-by-side comparison).  But if the Bengals beat the Ravens on Sunday and we lose to the Pats, we’d be tied in thay tiebreaker as well.  So it would go to Strength of Victory I think?

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Which tiebreaker would it be?

Record would be the same, division record would be the same, conference record would be the same, no head to head to determine and, on strength of schedule, it's currently 0.496 for the Bills and 0.508 for the Bengals, but the Bengals are facing the sixth seed Ravens, who cannot fall any lower, and the Bills are facing the seventh seed Patriots, who cannot make up any places.

I believe it is record against common opponents. We would have one more win and the same # of losses.  But I could be wrong.

16 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

yeah it looks like we’re 9-2 against teams that the Bengals have also played, while the Bengals are… 8-3  (doing the math on my iPhone, wish I had a monitor to do a side-by-side comparison).  But if the Bengals beat the Ravens on Sunday and we lose to the Pats, we’d be tied in thay tiebreaker as well.  So it would go to Strength of Victory I think?

Yes, I said Strength of Schedule earlier but, apologies, looks like it'll be on Strength of Victory.

At the moment, the Bill's SOV is .479 whilst the Bengal's SOV stands at .483. But the Bengals have not beaten the Ravens this season whilst the Bills have beaten the Pats which, if I understand SOV correctly, means the Bengals beating the Ravens would have a positive impact on their SOV.

Shall we keep it simple? Just beat the Pats.

8 minutes ago, Casey D said:

I believe it is record against common opponents. We would have one more win and the same # of losses.  But I could be wrong.

If the Bengals beat the Ravens and the Bills lose to the Pats then the two teams will have identical records against common opponents, I think.

Edited by UKBillFan

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

given the news about Hamlin today and what he asked doctors when he came to, I’d say there’s about a 0% chance of this happening, even if KC loses.

Agreed. Bills need a get right game too. They need to feel good and strong going into the playoffs. Mailing in the game isn’t going to happen

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Casey D said:

No.  Both would be 12-4, but Bills would have tiebreaker.

Not from everything I've read. 

Very easy to see here that Bills would be 3 and Cinci would be 2 in that case.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Since the entire premise of this thread is incorrect can we shut it down?

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rayray808 said:

If we lose, and the Bengals win we are the 3 seed and would host the Ravens

If Bengals handle the Ravens, they might actually favor the 3 seed against Ravens again, instead of 2 seed against New England…. Remember NE probably should’ve beaten Cincy a couple weeks ago..

16 minutes ago, Casey D said:

We currently do, but factoring in the Pat loss for us and the Ravens win for Cincinnati- we become tied.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Not from everything I've read.   Right now 

Very easy to see here that Bills would be 3 and Cinci would be 2 in that case.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Since the entire premise of this thread is incorrect can we shut it down?

I am wrong, thank you.  It would come to SOV.  That will change depending on outcome of lots of games. Right now it goes to Cincy, but it could change.

Just now, Casey D said:

I am wrong, thank you.  It would come to SOV.  That will change depending on outcome of lots of games. Right now it goes to Cincy, but it could change.

It could change, but most likely it favors Cincinnati getting stronger by Beating the Ravens for a better SOV.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.