Tank the Pats game?

WIDE LEFT

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It could change, but most likely it favors Cincinnati getting stronger by Beating the Ravens for a better SOV.

Probably.  It would diminish the Ravens record though. Would not all the teams each team beat factor into the equation?  

Edited by Casey D

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I believe you are incorrect.  We have the tie breaker over Bengals if we end up losing and they win.  

So if Chiefs win, we are 100% locked into the 2 seed and the outcome of the Pats game has no bearing on seeding.  

That was the point if the OP.

That is incorrect

59 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We would be tied on first tie breaker still and it goes to the second tie breaker which I believe is record vs common opponents which we have a 1 game advantage on.  They did the whole scenario earlier, we tie again on first tie breaker and win on second tie breaker.  

Bills can’t finish the season lower than the 2 seed if the Bills vs Bengals game is declared a no contest 

Why do you keep saying everyone is wrong?  The entire world, including most posters on this site, know the Bengals own the final tiebreaker.  What tiebreaker do you think the Bills own?

12 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Probably.  It would diminish the Ravens record though. Would not all the teams each team beat factor into the equation?  

It would diminish the Ravens record but they'll still be ahead of the Pats (even if they win.). And yes, all the teams are factored in, but we have a lot of common opponents since the two divisions played each other, so not much wiggle room.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Casey D said:

I am wrong, thank you.  It would come to SOV.  That will change depending on outcome of lots of games. Right now it goes to Cincy, but it could change.

19 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It could change, but most likely it favors Cincinnati getting stronger by Beating the Ravens for a better SOV.

How could this change?  It is down to the Patriots and Ravens - it is impossible for the Patriots to be the stronger team even if they win and Ravens lose.

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

How could this change?  It is down to the Patriots and Ravens - it is impossible for the Patriots to be the stronger team even if they win and Ravens lose.

It almost certainly won't, but depending on the math it could be possible because it's not just about the Patriots and Ravens, it's about all of the teams that we each played this year.  So in theory (depending on the margin, and I'm not going to do the math) if every non-common opponent we played wins this weekend, and every non-common opponent of the Bengals loses, then our strength of victory could surpass theirs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

It almost certainly won't, but depending on the math it could be possible because it's not just about the Patriots and Ravens, it's about all of the teams that we each played this year.  So in theory (depending on the margin, and I'm not going to do the math) if every non-common opponent we played wins this weekend, and every non-common opponent of the Bengals loses, then our strength of victory could surpass theirs.

Plainly the late season collapse of Miami and NYJ did not help.  And other teams that seemed good when we beat them, like LAR, tanked.  Thanks for clearing this up.  For other reasons as well, just beat the Pats.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Caesar said:

There is very little change at this point, but a Bengals win over the Ravens helps by giving them another strong win, but the added loss the Ravens get hurts.

The Pats win over the Bills (whom we beat earlier) would improve their record and help.  Then it comes down to the slate of games being played.

I think that the SOV in the end would still favor Cincinnati, but without inputting every scenario I do not know for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I was under the impression the math was done for all teams and the lead was insurmountable regardless of outcomes this Sunday.... of course getting reliable info from any source the last couple of days has been iffy at best.

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

I was under the impression the math was done for all teams and the lead was insurmountable regardless of outcomes this Sunday.... of course getting reliable info from any source the last couple of days has been iffy at best.

It has been done up-to this point, but will change with the games this weekend.  It maybe correct that the lead is insurmountable - I have not done the math, but it will change.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

Why do you keep saying everyone is wrong?  The entire world, including most posters on this site, know the Bengals own the final tiebreaker.  What tiebreaker do you think the Bills own?

I was going off information I got from ESPN discussing it where they stated we would win the tie breaker regardless and couldn't finish lower than the 2 seed if it was ruled a no contest.  

But after reading your comment, I went and looked at more information on it and now I see where they had their information incorrect.  They had us winning a tie breaker on common opponents by 1 game, but that is incorrect.  So apologies, I was going off what was being reported, and not only did they have it wrong that Buffalo would be the 2 seed regardless, but they also had the wrong tie breaker deciding the outcome I see now which would be one further regarding strength of wins.  

Bills enter at 92 wins and Bengals enter at 85.  But a win over Balt jumps them to 95 to our 92 if we lose to NE.  So then it would come down to the final results of the remaining games.  

So the reality I was incorrect based on the info I saw on ESPN, and so is everyone else saying the Bengals definitely have the tie breaker, because they don't.  The actual correct answer is who will win the tie breaker will not be known until the conclusion of this weeks games (if a tie breaker is needed).  

Which now means, yes the Bills do need to win the game regardless if they want to control their own destiny regarding the 2 seed.  So apologies on my incorrect statement, but I was just going off the report that I was watching at the time I posted it.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Draft Kings is saying it will be based on SOV so the Bengals could overtake the Bills on Sunday:

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2023/1/4/23538979/bills-vs-bengals-playoff-picture-standings-implications-seeding-tie-vacated-home-field-advantage

New York Post agrees:

https://nypost.com/2023/01/05/how-potential-bills-bengals-cancellation-could-change-afc-playoffs/

AS is saying the Bengals could claim second seed too:

https://en.as.com/nfl/how-does-the-bills-vs-bengals-postponement-affect-nfl-playoff-scenarios-n/

In terms of common opponents tiebreaker, I think both sides have the same winning percentage of 70%, should the Bengals win and Bills lose on Sunday?

Yes, see my post above...I got my info from a report on TV and they were wrong in saying Bills win the tie breaker in the record vs common opponents.  So I had bad information, it is going to be SOV and that won't be determined until all the games finish this week.  So my bad, I had bad info literally off of watching them discuss it on TV who had it wrong.  But seeing comments here, I went and looked it up myself and confirmed you are correct.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.