Week 18: Pats at Bills, Sunday 1/8 1pm

YoloinOhio

Just now, Negan said:

He could have thrown a pick 6 the next play or a holding call anything.

I’m not arguing the ins and outs of every possible thing that could happen. Obviously this is a crystal ball discussion. And of course it’s my opinion. 

but I went by what I saw , and have been seeing. From actual play. To just say - “no way” the stats prior to the game played without against this particular opponent with our current lineup , or we would have shut them down, or bengals would have faltered is just as equivalent as me saying I think the bengals would have beaten us badly

22 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

I hope it's Marlowe. Might be J. Johnson. 

21 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Dean Marlowe appears to be the ideal choice.

Obviously lost in the shuffle is how much we are going to also miss Damar on the field. The guy was doing an admirable job holding down the fort, for a young guy with very little experience before this year. And he saved us from Jaquan Johnson, who turned out to be pretty awful in coverage. 

At this point, the options aren’t great. Johnson is a liability in coverage. Marlowe knows the system but has been inactive, so not sure the staff views him as an upgrade over Johnson. I don’t know if they would ever consider moving a corner (like Benford) over to safety at this late juncture in the season, but I hope they are having those discussions. 

• Agree 1

In the end I have faith Sean McDermott will do whatever is best for his players and staff - that includes seeing to their mental health. It’s clear he is always extra cautious when it comes to injuries and I think he cares very deeply for his players as people first and players second. 

Whatever that means for Sunday, none of us can speculate. 

Just now, CoffeeDrip said:

In the end I have faith Sean McDermott will do whatever is best for his players and staff - that includes seeing to their mental health. It’s clear he is always extra cautious when it comes to injuries and I think he cares very deeply for his players as people first and players second. 

Whatever that means for Sunday, none of us can speculate. 

Sure we can speculate. You mean accurately predict ? Or come to a universal agreement amongst fan message boards ? 

Just now, balln said:

Sure we can speculate. You mean accurately predict ? Or come to a universal agreement amongst fan message boards ? 

Obviously I mistyped and meant none of us can say. This is why I hate writing on my phone, I don’t think things through like I do from a PC. Apologies.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, balln said:

From the limited time game play. Cincy was going to blow our doors off .

and now - we’ll have a 3rd string fs. Who knows about our cb3/LB3 starter 

Okay Ms. Cleo.

Predicting a 60 minute game with only 10 minutes of data is just ridiculous. The Bengals were moving the ball well, but they didn't shut the Bills offense down either. If not for a tiny mistake by Josh on the throw to Beas, it's 7-7.

19 minutes ago, balln said:

I’m not arguing the ins and outs of every possible thing that could happen. Obviously this is a crystal ball discussion. And of course it’s my opinion. 

but I went by what I saw , and have been seeing. From actual play. To just say - “no way” the stats prior to the game played without against this particular opponent with our current lineup , or we would have shut them down, or bengals would have faltered is just as equivalent as me saying I think the bengals would have beaten us badly

No one is speaking definitively about the teams outcomes but you though. So while people respond to you disagreeing that isn't the same as your prognostications that we would lose badly. You just don't know. We started out very poorly against the Ravens too. We were blowing out the Vikings late 3rd quarter. Anything can happen in an NFL game.

Edited by What a Tuel

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

Maybe, but this has happened before.  It's not unprecedented.  It's not even unprecedented with the Buffalo Bills (Kevin Everett).  It really is time to get on with it.  

This is unprecedented. What happened to Damar Hamlin and Kevin Everett are not the same thing. Please do not say that.

Kevin Everett was alert and responsive, he did not require resuscitation on the field with all of his teammates watching... 

Here are the similarities between Hamlin and Everett:

• They were Buffalo Bills when injured
  • They were taken off the field in an ambulance
  • They sustained life threatening injuries

2 days after Everett's injury he was moving his extremities, was off a respirator and communicating with doctors.

You're more than welcome to get on with it but stop expecting everyone else to. It's callous. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Mango said:

It is certainly unprecedented in the NFL. 

Damar Hamlin died on the field, and laid there dead for 9 minutes. That is an important distinction to make. 

I don't mean to diminish KE's journey or injury. It certainly was and is a major situation. I am not arguing which is worse, rather this is just something totally different. 

This is a better conversation for another thread, but I thought that was important. I will bow out of derailing the talk about the Pats game. 

Well...sort of...I believe in '71 a Lions player died on the field from a heart attack but was taken to the hospital and the game kept being played.  I'm not sure what the circumstances were then or if they even had those type of AED machines and if they did if they were at the stadium.  I would guess probably not.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Pick the first 8 minutes of any Bills game this year and see how much it matches up to the ultimate result. Ridiculous post.

Sure kc is really the only fair comparison. Bills got an int I think from elam on 2nd drive ? 

cincy looked far more comfortable playing us and more hot knife thru butter. I’ll project that out over a games worth and feel more than confident in my post 

for fans to say - we’ll look at Chicago game early ? That’s insane. They’re not cincy or kc

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

No one is speaking definitively about the teams outcomes but you though. So while people respond to you disagreeing that isn't the same as your prognostications that we would lose badly. You just don't know. We started out very poorly against the Ravens too. We were blowing out the Vikings late 3rd quarter. Anything can happen in an NFL game.

Yea I’m not here trying to predict. Look at my original post in the thread please. Thanks 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Pick the first 8 minutes of any Bills game this year and see how much it matches up to the ultimate result. Ridiculous post.

That's true (Bears game being only the most recent example), but things were not looking good at all in Cinci, especially given the Bills' injuries...

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Well...sort of...I believe in '71 a Lions player died on the field from a heart attack but was taken to the hospital and the game kept being played.  I'm not sure what the circumstances were then or if they even had those type of AED machines and if they did if they were at the stadium.  I would guess probably not.

1 minute left on the clock. 

We will be lucky to skip by this week with a banged up secondary, since MacJones and the Pats are not that dynamic of a passing team. but they have a tough D so we will need to step it up on offense.  Depending on the seeding we may even float past the Ravens.  The Chargers, Chiefs and Bengals are very worrisome without a miracle (like the return of Hyde) This is where we really needed Von.  We had no pressure on Burrow and he was picking us apart. Someone needs to step up, but it's hard to even focus with the emotional and mental state of the team at this moment.  As one of the other threads pointed out, overcoming this much adversity is already a win for the city and our team. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

This is unprecedented. What happened to Damar Hamlin and Kevin Everett are not the same thing. Please do not say that.

Kevin Everett was alert and responsive, he did not require resuscitation on the field with all of his teammates watching... 

Here are the similarities between Hamlin and Everett:

• They were Buffalo Bills when injured
  • They were taken off the field in an ambulance
  • They sustained life threatening injuries

2 days after Everett's injury he was moving his extremities, was off a respirator and communicating with doctors.

You're more than welcome to get on with it but stop expecting everyone else to. It's callous. 

They're not literally identical situations, but they're very similar for the reasons you mentioned.  That game was played to its conclusion and the rest of the season moved along normally.  All of us understood that various players may or may not have their head in exactly the right spot, but there was no call to cancel any games or rearrange the schedule on our behalf.  

• Disagree 1

The tragedy of this can't be oversold, though I don't think it does any good to drag it out to impact another week. Having it happen on live TV and to a teammate certainly made it an ultra-dramatic and devastating moment. It does seem a bit of an odd standard as time goes by though. Had Susan from will-call, Billy the ball boy, or Larry the groundskeeper had a cardiac incident, would continued delay of games impacting teams league wide even be a discussion?  I understand the impact to the Bills players as this is a personal relationship, so it's really up to them how they want to handle it. I don't think it's appropriate for the league to move any more things around though.

It was nice to watch the Sabres game yesterday and see them put up a big W so they could dedicate a win. I usually think that sort of thing is a bit of a hollow gesture, but it also brings some folks comfort. If the Bills could do the same, it would probably be even more impactful, but if they aren't up to it, I get it. As a fan, I think it would be a great game to go to with a highly emotional atmosphere, and that's when sports are at their best.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.