(Perhaps) Unpopular Take: I have no expectations for the Bills going forward, and I’m ok with it.

eball

yesterday, i had the opinion of  foreiting the bengals game and just moving on,i would of been fine with it. today im not so sure they can move on properly yet,the organization definatly has there work cut out for them getting these kids ready to play at the level they have been performing at all year,i feel whatever the outcome is i am going to be ok with it,if we lose to the pats ,(bengals??),and get bumped the first round,so be it i totally understand why

I personally think this team will be fine.  Even during the 5 minute warm up period, Diggs was out there rallying the troops.  I know the next few days are critical times as they do brain function tests.  I’m optimistic he’ll be ok.  I’d that is the case, I don’t see this being something that derails them.  This team is extremely close and have some pretty great leaders as players, coaching staff and front office.  They are getting back to work today and preparing for the Patriots.  It’s a good thing they are trying to get some normalcy.  Like I said, I know a lot of people are going to wonder how these guys can keep playing, and that’s understandable if you haven’t dealt with something like this before.  You just have to keep going.  You can either let something like this derail you, or you can use this as notification and play for him and overcome yet again another obstacle.

This team is so damn battle tested.  Between the injuries, the East Buffalo shooting, the moving to Detroit, to the second blizzard that killed people.  They’ve been through a lot.  I’m sure it is exhausting, but this could also be yet another reason for a rally cry.

• Like (+1) 2

Football is second to everything right now. These guys are all just worried about their teammate. We are all worried about him, his health, and his recovery. Heck, it seems like the entire league and every NFL fan is out here praying, donating, and sending well wishes to Damar. That said, if reports come out about Damar in the next 24 hours that are positive then watch out. These guys are going to turn into a bonafide, single purposed, freight train. It's going to be like Rocky II when he's sitting beside Adrian's side after she has the baby and slipped into a coma. She wakes up and says, "There's one thing I want you to do for me.........Win..Win." 

I was listening yesterday to Pat Kirwan on MTC and he spoke on a similar topic. I believe it was with the Jets, a player was hit with friendly fire, and the player was paralyzed.  It changed the game and went from winning the gam to losing.

So later in the week, there was good news from the hospital on his prognosis, and it galvanized the players.  They had their best game of the year.

Eventually the player walked again, but never played anymore, but he was able to coach high school football.

I believe his point was some good news was helpful to the team to flip the script.

Positive news on Damar would give a real shot in the arm for the team.

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

Football is second to everything right now. These guys are all just worried about their teammate. We are all worried about him, his health, and his recovery. Heck, it seems like the entire league and every NFL fan is out here praying, donating, and sending well wishes to Damar. That said, if reports come out about Damar in the next 24 hours that are positive then watch out. These guys are going to turn into a bonafide, single purposed, freight train. It's going to be like Rocky II when he's sitting beside Adrian's side after she has the baby and slipped into a coma. She wakes up and says, "There's one thing I want you to do for me.........Win..Win." 

Water, that is one of my favorite clips from movies as a kid.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like (+1) 1

I have no expectations moving forward for this season.

But a voice inside my head is creating a script where Damar pulls through, and the team goes on a run to win it all. I feel like winning it this year would mean more than all the other tough playoff/Super Bowl losses combined. There was just a report that doctors have seen positive readings they were hoping for over night. I'll take any good news I can get at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, eball said:

There’s another thread that lists out what the community of Buffalo and the Bills have dealt with over the past year…it’s almost unbelievable the amount of tragedy, turmoil, and just plain bad luck that has befallen WNY and our favorite team — and none of it self-inflicted.

The Bills have to feel mentally exhausted.  They’ve had to overcome so much, and now this.

I’m happy with their 3rd consecutive AFC East title and big wins in big moments.  Josh is “the guy” and will be for years to come, but the defense has been decimated by key injuries all season and when combined with the mental fatigue and trauma, I think it is just too much to overcome going forward.

I am proud of the team, the coaches, the fans, the community…proud to call myself a Buffalonian.

Go Bills.

I understand where you're coming from, but I can't go along with that mindset.

We all feel for Hamlin, his family, and his Bills' brothers, but the world doesn't stop.  These players and coaches have invested many many hours of blood, sweat, and tears since the start of mini-camps just to get to this point in the season.

Should Damar give up his fight? Of course not. Neither should his teammates.

They should all continue to fight.  Isn't that likely what Damar and his family would want? 

Maybe getting back to the routine with their teammates will be a needed step in dealing with the emotional trauma they experienced less than 48 hours ago.

I can think of no greater tribute to DH than to fight like warriors and continue to strive for being world champions. 

It's my opinion that giving up on the season is antithetical to everything the Buffalo Bills and their leadership represent.

Battling on wouldn't be disrespectful to Damar. On the contrary. It would be a fitting show of support and solidarity.

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Anecdotally, it seems like NFL players as a group are able to compartmentalize things like we all do.  We've all seen lots of games where the ambulance had to come out for somebody, and within 10 minutes everybody is playing more or less normally.  It would be interesting to dig back through those games and see to what degree the team with the injured player under-performed going forward.  I don't think I've ever noticed an obvious pattern of teams dropping off, but of course my not noticing it doesn't mean that such a pattern isn't there. 

Unpopular take:

I have never liked comparing even a violent game like the NFL to war.  One is not like the other no matter how many times they are mentioned together.  Marv often used to say that a NFL game was not a must-win, WWII was a must win.

That said, there are men in women in the US who have served in wartime and attended memorial services of those recently killed in action.  Those surviving service members did not have the option of calling it a day and retreating into permanent despair.  Losing a friend/fellow team member suddenly is a trauma and unfortunately people must return to their duties and later home to face some real serious demons.

We pray for Damar, his family and hope for his recovery from this tragedy.  It may not be the time today or tomorrow to play a game, but there is a healing in moving forward with the season.  It is not time to quit, suspend expectations and remain in a pit of despair because of this.  I'm not calling into question anyone's toughness, mentally or physically either. 

Human beings must, given the world we live in, strive to overcome even extreme adversity.  Sometimes that adversity is going to be more than we think we can handle and there is no manual to do this.  I saw Dan Orlovsky on ESPN the other day go his route...and I think it's a good start toward working through the tragedy. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

So the Bills are supposed to practice today. Does anyone know if they are? I hope they don't force them to if they aren't ready and they are told it's optional. They might want to practice just to get out and be with their teammates but I would leave it to them. If they want to forfeit the game Sunday I'd be totally ok with that too

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

So the Bills are supposed to practice today. Does anyone know if they are? I hope they don't force them to if they aren't ready and they are told it's optional. They might want to practice just to get out and be with their teammates but I would leave it to them. If they want to forfeit the game Sunday I'd be totally ok with that too

They're having meetings and a walkthrough was reported

You never know how a team is mentally until the game. I've coached (and supposed signs) like good practice/ Bad practice can very often be incorrect readings with teams. I'd like to think that the news of Damar improving continues today and the team strike a rallying cry of "Do it for Damar or he'd want us to take care of business" become the reality. Bottom line is we won't know until Sunday at 1:00. I kind of look at it like a bank, you make deposits and take out money. Have the Bills got enough left deposited emotionally after the events of this year? 

I think just getting thru their game on Sunday is going to be tough.  Their going to have very little preparation and their not going to be focused on the Patriots. And as mentioned they might rest some guys and stuff too.  Their probably just going to go thru the motions this week and then have to somehow regroup for the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is a good deal of moping being attributed to a guy who is fighting.    

. . . and he wouldn't appreciate the moping!

The Team (we all) need to hear Damar will be OK - this not knowing has us all in an emotional limbo.  Seeing players faces (esp Josh) on Monday told us all that no one is ready to play - and we can't blame them. 

If/when we get some good news from Damar, I see this team rallying around it and springboarding it thru the post season.

In the meantime we wait in anguish, with hope.

• Like (+1) 2

I respect everyone going through their range of thoughts right now. I would just caution everyone that while right now in this moment saying you don’t and won’t care may not hold true. At the end of the day if the Bills are down 3 in the Super Bowl and get the ball back with 1:30 on the clock I will guarantee that everyone making these statements will in fact care. I don’t think anyone should be judged either way right now but especially those who are going to remain fully invested in the football season. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.