(Perhaps) Unpopular Take: I have no expectations for the Bills going forward, and I’m ok with it.

eball

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I have always been a build a team for a long run vs a buy a team for a year kind of guy. It changed a bit for me this year as I was diagnosed with cancer in October and later diagnosed as stage 4 since it has spread. I am not working today as I started my 5th round of chemo. So given my odds of being around longer term aren’t overly great I was really hoping for a Super Bowl this year because I am not certain if I get a next season. Having said all that, and I am fine as i am in my 50s and have had a great life, seeing a young man in that situation really broke me. I have shed a few tears about the cancer, but nothing like what I have shed for Damar. Him surviving would be greater than a SB victory for me personally. I have worked as a volunteer with teens for decades and when one of them achieves her / his dreams it is so rewarding for all that were involved with her / him making it. By all accounts he is a solid young man and I want with all that is in me for him to survive and thrive.

I hope by the grace of God you find your way to the other side of this, and there are more Bills’ seasons in your future. 

Keep fighting, sir… 

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 1/5/2023 at 8:38 AM, CorkScrewHill said:

I have always been a build a team for a long run vs a buy a team for a year kind of guy. It changed a bit for me this year as I was diagnosed with cancer in October and later diagnosed as stage 4 since it has spread. I am not working today as I started my 5th round of chemo. So given my odds of being around longer term aren’t overly great I was really hoping for a Super Bowl this year because I am not certain if I get a next season. Having said all that, and I am fine as i am in my 50s and have had a great life, seeing a young man in that situation really broke me. I have shed a few tears about the cancer, but nothing like what I have shed for Damar. Him surviving would be greater than a SB victory for me personally. I have worked as a volunteer with teens for decades and when one of them achieves her / his dreams it is so rewarding for all that were involved with her / him making it. By all accounts he is a solid young man and I want with all that is in me for him to survive and thrive.

Sorry to hear that… keep fighting though… easy for me to say…but my now 75 yr uncle was given a month to live 5 years ago and I just spent this past XMas day with him …

• Like (+1) 2

With the fantastic news on Damar, I still have no expectations on the season. My feeling is the furthest the Bills get is the Championship game. The Divisional game may be one step too far for them. Even if Josh plays lights out, as he did last year in the play offs, I think the injuries in defense will catch up with the Bills. If Miller and Hyde were available, and Poyer and Milano were not carrying injuries, then there would be more than a chance. As it is… take it a game at a time and what happens happens.

• Like (+1) 2

So, a lot has happened since I started this thread on Tuesday evening…and most of it extremely positive.  Certainly the good news about Damar’s continuing recovery was a crucial piece to the Bills even beginning to think about the rest of the season and playoffs.  My expectations are still tempered, though…now primarily because of the mounting defensive injuries.  It seemed as though they might be able to overcome losing Miller, but now the secondary — once considered a strength — is looking more like a liability, particularly going up against high-powered passing offenses like Cinci and KC (and possibly even Miami).  I think the Bills should get past NE***, and I’m not particularly worried about playing Baltimore or Jacksonville in Orchard Park, but in order to beat the “big boys” they’re probably going to have to win shootouts.  I love having Josh in our corner, but it all may just be too much to ask.

Let’s go and get this win today to claim the #2, and then see what happens.

To me, it’s all gravy from here in this unprecedented season of turmoil.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

And with Hamlin recovering and what appears to be a good prognosis I'm slowly getting excited again.  

I still am thinking SB, however see the built in excuses (especially on the defensive side of the ball) already being brought up.

Let's see how the Bills are mentally today, but I really still think they are a SB team.  

The playoffs are a different animal. No one knows what will happen. If the first game is the Pats or especially Pittsburgh it will be Easy. The 2nd game to me is the hardest because is is likely Cinci and or the Chargers. The weather could affect both games. I feel if we get to the neutral site AFCC we are going to the SuperBowl. I am not afraid of the Chiefs defense and should the Chiefs somehow lose then we are easily in if we get to that AFCC game. 

• Agree 1

What I want is for Damar to be released from the hospital.  Then I can get back to grumbling about dropped passes, lack of contested catches, play calling, coaching, dumb penalties, bad reffing (though will be tempered here).....

Edited by Billsfan1972

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.