(Perhaps) Unpopular Take: I have no expectations for the Bills going forward, and I’m ok with it.

eball

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm in total agreement.

Human beings can only take so much trauma, so much grief.

I won't list out all the things that this community and this team have been through this season. Everybody knows.

Given how much focus, commitment, fortitude, and effort is needed to win three straight playoff games and a Super Bowl, and given how draining and exhausting the past seven months have been, I would not fault any of the players one bit if they just don't have it in them. How could they?

All of this doesn't even bring into account the rotten injury luck this team has had this year. Yes, every team goes through injuries. But losing guys the caliber of Micah Hyde (our defensive leader and basically a coach on the field) and Von Miller (our best defensive player and the piece we were all told was missing in our Super Bowl chasing efforts), and having our QB play half the year with an injured throwing elbow....it's a lot to overcome.

As others have said, it sure hasn't felt like "our year", and it continues not to.

I have nothing but compassion, empathy, and love for the players and coaches and the community of Buffalo. I will stand with them no matter what, will cheer the players when they take the field, and will hope for the best. But "expectations"? I don't have them any more. If the Bills DO somehow, some way happen to win it all, it will be the greatest story in football history, given the adversity they've overcome. Personally, though, I've begun to make peace with the reality of the situation. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I admit I'm greedy.  I want Hamlin to recover and the Bills to win the Super Bowl this season.

However, if I could get just one, it's not even close.  My hopes and prayers are with Damar.  

Yup....Damar getting better is our Super Bowl this year.  Everything else is just noise.

17 hours ago, galept said:

This moment could serve as a rallying cry come playoffs. Emphasis on could.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends?

If they complete the goal of winning the superbowl this year, they will have to make an NFL film about it for sure !

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Human beings can only take so much trauma, so much grief.

I won't list out all the things that this community and this team have been through this season. Everybody knows.

Given how much focus, commitment, fortitude, and effort is needed to win three straight playoff games and a Super Bowl, and given how draining and exhausting the past seven months have been, I would not fault any of the players one bit if they just don't have it in them. How could they?

Fortunately your first statement is inaccurate........or the human race would have been wiped out by trauma alone long ago.

It's important to grieve but you also have to get back to your life.    

As @BillsVet aptly noted.......lowering expectations(apathy) is not a positive solution........if you are lowering expectations that is a personal choice and probably better left unsaid.......because the players WANT the fans to be passionate about their work.     

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Fortunately your first statement is inaccurate........or the human race would have been wiped out by trauma alone long ago.

As @BillsVet aptly noted.......lowering expectations(apathy) is not a positive solution........if you are lowering expectations that is a personal choice and probably better left unsaid.......because the players WANT the fans to be passionate about their work.     

Fair enough. I suppose I should have extended the first sentence to say "Human beings can only take so much trauma, so much grief...before it begins to affect their mental/emotional wellbeing to the extent that their focus and/or work performance can begin to suffer."

Your third line is probably quite right, though. The players will likely be depending on the passion and enthusiasm of fans to help get them through the coming weeks. Fortunately, I'm guessing the fans at Highmark Stadium this weekend are going to be incredibly loud.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I have lost a lot of energy about this season. I hope the team is OK, just as humans. 

Surely I will root for them but with little expectation.

I am in favor of whatever the Bills want to do going forward. If they are able to get up and bring all of their "We are doing this for Damar" energy. I will do the same. If they want to cash in their chips, I will be right their with them.

I am vehemently against playing the Bengals game over for the sake of playing it over and ranking the lower seeds. 

I've always just looked at it as entertainment. I don't get a free car or anything if they win a SB so it's not like I have ever had anything personal at stake.

It's better when the team you root for is relevant and doesn't suck. 

52 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Until we hear from McDermott, we really won't know what the team needs or wants from us as it pertains to this Sunday. 

They may want a return to normal, get back to their routine. And if that's the case, I expect Coach to communicate that to us at some point later in the week.

At the same time, they may have zero desire or ability to step on the field this weekend without knowing how their brother is going to be ok. Not because they want to sit in a dark room and mope or feel sorry for themselves. But because they simple may not be able to generate the level of violence needed to play this sport and protect themselves on the field when their whole being is dedicated Hamlin's well being. 

I may be completely off base, but I think it's something we should at least consider as a reasonable possibility until we hear an update from the Bills about this weekend's game. 

10 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Until we hear from McDermott, we really won't know what the team needs or wants from us as it pertains to this Sunday. 

What the team needs or wants from the fans?   Not sure what you are expecting. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

yep this

personally if Hamlin makes a full recovery that's a Super Bowl right there

As a spectator and devoted fan, I’m weary from this season as well. Should the curse be lifted, ancient Indians rise up through the 50 yard line singing Alleluia and we manage to steal the Lombardi, I’ll be in Buffalo for the parade. But with a calm smile & teary-eyed, rather than the euphoria I’ve always imagined..

18 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why?

Cuz @ScottLaw says so! 
-like his views are ever taken seriously..🤦‍♂️

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

What the team needs or wants from the fans?   Not sure what you are expecting. 

I don't have any expectations, and that includes not placing any expectations or demands on how the team handles themselves this week. 

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I don't have any expectations, and that includes not placing any expectations or demands on how the team handles themselves this week. 

You stated, “until McD speaks, we won’t know what he needs or wants from us”.  I asked what you think those “needs or wants” would be?

Edited by LabattBlue

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

You stated, “until McD speaks, we won’t know what he needs or wants from us”.  I asked what those “needs or wants” would be?

"The NFL announced Tuesday that it planned to play this weekend’s games as scheduled. However, the situation is subject to change as the circumstances surrounding Hamlin, as well as both teams, continue to evolve."

I'm saying that I think waiting to hear from coach on what the team needs moving forward. 

I don't know what that is, as I'm not Coach McDermott. 

• Eyeroll 1

To be completely honest, I feel like as of right now, I do not really care as much about the games, playoff seeding, etc.

But I think once that Pats game kicks off, I will be sucked right back into it all for the same reasons I became a football fan in the first place:

This sport is the ultimate distraction and escape for me and I have been rooting for this team practically my entire life; I do not follow any other team in any other sport, so in my case, whether I like it or not, I think I will be caught up in the hype of the next game as soon as it starts.

as for the players, I think many of them will be too. Over the years, I have watched many of these players lose a loved one right before playing a game, and I cannot remember one time where the player did not want to play that next game. Often times, they come out and play harder, better, because in their minds, they are honoring the loved one that has deceased. I realize every person is different, and I realize this situation was brand new to ALL of these players, but from what I understand about football players and their mentality, I do believe that for most of them, the football field will serve as the stage in which they honor Damar Hamlin on Sunday, and if they are successful in doing that, I think it would be a beautiful thing, and one of my fondest regular season memories as a Bills fan. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have always been a build a team for a long run vs a buy a team for a year kind of guy. It changed a bit for me this year as I was diagnosed with cancer in October and later diagnosed as stage 4 since it has spread. I am not working today as I started my 5th round of chemo. So given my odds of being around longer term aren’t overly great I was really hoping for a Super Bowl this year because I am not certain if I get a next season. Having said all that, and I am fine as i am in my 50s and have had a great life, seeing a young man in that situation really broke me. I have shed a few tears about the cancer, but nothing like what I have shed for Damar. Him surviving would be greater than a SB victory for me personally. I have worked as a volunteer with teens for decades and when one of them achieves her / his dreams it is so rewarding for all that were involved with her / him making it. By all accounts he is a solid young man and I want with all that is in me for him to survive and thrive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Motorin' said:

"The NFL announced Tuesday that it planned to play this weekend’s games as scheduled. However, the situation is subject to change as the circumstances surrounding Hamlin, as well as both teams, continue to evolve."

I'm saying that I think waiting to hear from coach on what the team needs moving forward. 

I don't know what that is, as I'm not Coach McDermott. 

When they are on the field next.........they will want passionate support.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.