Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

18 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Their offense was absolutely running through the Bills defense before losing 2 DBs (prayers for both).  This uninformed comment simply reveals you didnt watch either game.

They scored a TD on the opening drive and had gotten exactly one 1st down on the 2nd drive. The Bills defense always looks soft early.

To me it looked like a game that was going to come down to the wire. Both offenses moved the ball at will on the first drive, one finished with 7 one finished with 3. There's nothing you could possibly project about the rest of that game based on that early result. The NFL is too volatile to make projections after one half let alone two drives.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Caesar said:

Yet we have more wins and 2 less losses than the Ravens, yet we were gifted?  That makes no sense.

As you well know, if the Bills beat the Bengals in Week 17, the Ravens would have an opportunity to win the North outright this week.

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

We are more pissed about the Chiefs, but the way the game was going many felt like we were in the drivers seat for our game.  Of course Josh and this team could have come back but your defense wasn't looking good and losing players, we thought we had a great chance.

You weren't up by 4 scores man. You were up by 4 points. Tampa started out hot too 17-3 and it looked like you couldn't stop them. this is why they play the full 60 minutes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yet we have more wins and 2 less losses than the Ravens, yet we were gifted?  That makes no sense.

Sheesh man, thanks for comin' down for the solidarity earlier in the week, but your agenda is getting overwrought here. Is there somewhere else you'd rather be?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I think it's probably best solution they can come up with that sucks some for everyone but mitigates the disadvantage the Bills and Bengals would have if they tried to squeeze this game in before the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

You weren't up by 4 scores man. You were up by 4 points. Tampa started out hot too 17-3 and it looked like you couldn't stop them. this is why they play the full 60 minutes.

Common sense and logic? In this economy???

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Caesar said:

You guys lost the ability to lose both of your last two and lose your division.  The Bills lost the chance to win their last two and get the #1 seed and the goodies that come with that.  The Ravens lost the chance for the Bengals to lose to the Bills and have a chance to beat them for the AFCN crown.

The Chiefs lost...well I'm not exactly sure but it must be something right?!

But, at least the Bengals and the Bills control a bit of their own destiny and winning this week secures clear advantages in the playoff seeding.

Either way, to win the AFC Championship, someone is going to have to run the gauntlet and defeat two out of three of the Bills/Bengals/Chiefs (most likely).  This isn't the NFC where you can finesse your way with advantageous matchups, it's going to be brutal.

Edited by akm0404
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They scored a TD on the opening drive and had gotten exactly one 1st down on the 2nd drive. The Bills defense always looks soft early.

To me it looked like a game that was going to come down to the wire. Both offenses moved the ball at will on the first drive, one finished with 7 one finished with 3. There's nothing you could possibly project about the rest of that game based on that early result. The NFL is too volatile to make projections after one half let alone two drives.

5 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I was pretty clear in an earlier post that this was the view of our fans when the game ended, no doubt the Bills could have come back.  The point is, we were given every scenario that could happen if we did lose the game, and we surely wasn't looking like it at the time.  It's just not a fair solution.

11 minutes ago, Caesar said:

We are more pissed about the Chiefs, but the way the game was going many felt like we were in the drivers seat for our game.  Of course Josh and this team could have come back but your defense wasn't looking good and losing players, we thought we had a great chance.

Yeah I got that sense reading your board, lol. It's tough to know. Our MO this year is to look like absolute horseshit on defense in the first quarter then lock it down. We made the Bears look dynamite in the first drive last week. I think the game was a toss up, and certainly not the beatdown you may have expected. 

I am pissed about the Chiefs. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

You guys lost the ability to lose both of your last two and lose your division.  The Bills lost the chance to win their last two and get the #1 seed and the goodies that come with that.  The Ravens lost the chance for the Bengals to lose to the Bills and have a chance to beat them for the AFCN crown.

But, at least the Bengals and the Bills control a bit of their own destiny and winning this week secures clear advantages in the playoff seeding.

Either way, to win the AFC Championship, someone is going to have to run the gauntlet and defeat two out of three of the Bills/Bengals/Chiefs (most likely).  This isn't the NFC where you can finesse your way with advantageous matchups, it's going to be brutal.

Kc lost significant odds to host the afc title game vs buffalo.  

Just now, Caesar said:

I was pretty clear in an earlier post that this was the view of our fans when the game ended, no doubt the Bills could have come back.  The point is, we were given every scenario that could happen if we did lose the game, and we surely wasn't looking like it at the time.  It's just not a fair solution.

The game should certainly be replayed. Can't believe they officially ruled that out.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Keep thinking the Bengals did not own the Bucs or Patriots.  Their offense was absolutely running through the Bills defense before losing 2 DBs (prayers for both).  This uninformed comment simply reveals you didnt watch either game.  Im guessing you were not watching Monday either.

No it is a coin flip to determine home field.  1st time ever a division winner and Top 4 seed has to play on the road the first playoff game.  This is awful for the Bengals.

What part is good for Cincy?  It is awful for them.

You guys are getting short end of stick.  So could the Bills be as they controlled their own path to the 1 seed.  I feel for you but there is no perfect solution there was always going to be multiple teams getting the short end of it.

As for your comment about "their offense was absolutely running through the Bills defense" ... so did just about every team the Bills played in the first quarter this year.  It means nothing.  The Bills offense ran through your defense as well.  It means nothing.  There is no way to know who would have won that game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Caesar has a legitimate point that at the time of the injury, the Bengals had overcome being a 2.5 point underdog, and were a slight favorite in live wagering.  In the most optimistic light, betting markets favored the Bengals to win the game somewhere around 55% of the time.  While this certainly doesn't equate to any sort of high probability of winning, I think it's fair to say they were better than a coinflip at that fateful moment in time.

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Umm, we also lost the ability to WIN both games too.  This is the problem we are having with this solution, it seems to have been created to fit the scenario that the Bengals would have lost to the Bills and thus we were given these stipulations.

1 minute ago, NickelCity said:

Yeah I got that sense reading your board, lol. It's tough to know. Our MO this year is to look like absolute horseshit on defense in the first quarter then lock it down. We made the Bears look dynamite in the first drive last week. I think the game was a toss up, and certainly not the beatdown you may have expected. 

I am pissed about the Chiefs. 

Definitely more pissed about the Chiefs on our end as well.

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You know when I first heard the coin flip idea I thought it was the worst idea yet. But the more I've thought about it, it would have been the best solution. The game was looking like a coin flip anyways. Instead of screwing over a bunch of teams they should have just randomly assigned a winner and moved on. I'm surprised they decided to make it so convoluted.

Actually, that kind of makes sense.  Buff vs Cincy game decided by a coin flip and move on.   I think both teams might have been okay with it. 

I mean as a Bills fan, honestly I am okay with this solution as well though. 

Just to make it fun, the league should flip a coin and heads is one option and tails is the other!

Edited by TBBills Fan

30 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Keep thinking the Bengals did not own the Bucs or Patriots.  Their offense was absolutely running through the Bills defense before losing 2 DBs (prayers for both).  This uninformed comment simply reveals you didnt watch either game.  Im guessing you were not watching Monday either.

WTH did I just read?

I can't deny that the NFL proposal of how to handle the playoffs after the "no contest" game is unfair to the Bengals in aspects.  That was going to happen.  No way to make it fair to all parties that I could conceptualize

But as far as telling someone the Bengals didn't "own the Bucs or Patriots" - when my team is losing 17-3 at the half as the Bengals were to the Bucs, I don't feel that they're "owning" the opponent, and I'd actually be very surprised if you felt that way in the moment.   You turned it around in the 3Q, never looked back, and got the W.  Very creditable.

The Bills have had also had a couple wins this season where we went into halftime down and came back.  So "running through the Bills" on the first two drives doesn't show you'd win, just as being down at the half to TB didn't show you'd lose.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

You guys are getting short end of stick.  So could the Bills be as they controlled their own path to the 1 seed.  I feel for you but there is no perfect solution there was always going to be multiple teams getting the short end of it.

As for your comment about "their offense was absolutely running through the Bills defense" ... so did just about every team the Bills played in the first quarter this year.  It means nothing.  The Bills offense ran through your defense as well.  It means nothing.  There is no way to know who would have won that game.

Our D played predictable as well, we have a great redzone defense - we are the epitome of bend dont break.  But you guys ran us better than most to start the game.

6 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

The Chiefs were always bound to be the only team to tangibly benefit, gaining a clear path to the biggest advantage offered in this goofball 7-team playoff format - the only bye in the conference. I thought, perhaps with that being an biggest carrot, the league might open up an 8th entry to mitigate it, but hahah what was I thinking.

I do think they need to modify the situation so that if any 2 of the 3 teams that could have qualified for the 1 seed (had the game been played) end up playing each other in the AFCG, it will be at a neutral site.  They left out a potential Bills Bengals AFCG game when they talked about scenarios qualifying for a neutral site.  The fact is it was possible that the Bengals might have beaten the Bills and ended up seeded higher (due to head to head), so it does not seem fair that the Bills could still get a home field AFCG against them.  Nothing is perfectly fair, but that would be more fair.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Umm, we also lost the ability to WIN both games too.  This is the problem we are having with this solution, it seems to have been created to fit the scenario that the Bengals would have lost to the Bills and thus we were given these stipulations.

Absolutely - my point was that you have to balance the scenarios that help you with those that hurt you.  Not suggesting there aren't some of both, but you can't solely claim that you lost your multi-leg parlay shot at the #1 seed and discount that you also negated the multi-leg parlay that loses you the division.

3 minutes ago, Caesar said:

You also lost the chance at 1st seed as if you beat the Bills and Ravens you'd be 13-4, if Chiefs lost to the Raiders they'd be 13-4 and if the Bills beat the Pats they'd be 13-4. 3 way tie went to the Bengals. 

I keep saying it but im so damn mad that they are going to ham fist the solution for this problem.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I will say that "#F***TheBills" was disappointing. But we're all human, I get it. 

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

WTH did I just read?

I can't deny that the NFL proposal of how to handle the playoffs after the "no contest" game is unfair to the Bengals in aspects.  That was going to happen.  No way to make it fair to all parties that I could conceptualize

But as far as telling someone the Bengals didn't "own the Bucs or Patriots" - when my team is losing 17-3 at the half as the Bengals were to the Bucs, I don't feel that they're "owning" the opponent, and I'd actually be very surprised if you felt that way in the moment.   You turned it around in the 3Q, never looked back, and got the W.  Very creditable.

The Bills have had also had a couple wins this season where we went into halftime down and came back.  So "running through the Bills" on the first two drives doesn't show you'd win, just as being down at the half to TB didn't show you'd lose.

Again you didnt watch either game.  I have seen the Bills down but in total control of the game - the Bears game was way closer than it should have been going int other second half but there was never any doubt.  We had a dozen miscues vs the Pats and put ourself in a bad situation.  Bucs were tipping passes and runners were tripped by the white line monster in the 1st half but we never got the feeling oh no... until the very end of the Pats game.

13 minutes ago, Caesar said:

It's just not a fair solution.

There unfortunately is no fair solution. I think the NFL tried to make it equally unfair for everybody which is the best they could do. Personally I think what makes it worse for fans of the Bills, Bengals, and Ravens is that the Chiefs barely got any kind of disadvantage. Maybe having to play in the AFCCG on a neutral field after being handed the bye? That's nothing compared to the other teams.

But ultimately a man almost died on national TV so I just don't have it in me to complain. Maybe for non-Bills fans it doesn't hit the same way because it wasn't a player on your team. Be happy Hamlin is going to be okay and your team has a chance to win a Super Bowl.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Absolutely - my point was that you have to balance the scenarios that help you with those that hurt you.  Not suggesting there aren't some of both, but you can't solely claim that you lost your multi-leg parlay shot at the #1 seed and discount that you also negated the multi-leg parlay that loses you the division.

The division means nothing if the Ravens have a coin toss opportunity to play the first playoff game at home...?  We lose the only benefit the division title offers, in fact we are more shafted as we could lose home field and have the #1's schedule next season... lol

3 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

You also lost the chance at 1st seed as if you beat the Bills and Ravens you'd be 13-4, if Chiefs lost to the Raiders they'd be 13-4 and if the Bills beat the Pats they'd be 13-4. 3 way tie went to the Bengals. 

I keep saying it but im so damn mad that they are going to ham fist the solution for this problem.

Correct, had we beat you guys and LV beat the Chiefs we had the #1 seed.  Even without LV winning we hd the #2 seed winning the last 2.  We lost every chance to control our own destiny for the top 2 seeds.  I'm not sure any other team was shafted as much as the Bengals?

2 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I will say that "#F***TheBills" was disappointing. But we're all human, I get it. 

I never said "#F***TheBills" 

I never said "#F***TheBills" 

Oh yes, I know that. I should have specified it was from when I was reading through your forums and from a rando poster. It's obviously an outlier opinion from someone who doesn't seem to get that we didn't come up with this "solution". 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

The Chiefs were always bound to be the only team to tangibly benefit, gaining a clear path to the biggest advantage offered in this goofball 7-team playoff format - the only bye in the conference. I thought, perhaps with that being an biggest carrot, the league might open up an 8th entry to mitigate it, but hahah what was I thinking.

I think many chiefs fans felt cincy had a better than 50/50 shot at winning that game.  In that light, buffalo got kinda lucky with this oddity of a resolution.  Cincy was at home, winning, poyer banged up, then one key injury and then Hamlins tragedy.

at that moment, and as burrow warmed up ready to keep going, it surely appeared it was their night. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

There unfortunately is no fair solution. I think the NFL tried to make it equally unfair for everybody which is the best they could do. Personally I think what makes it worse for fans of the Bills, Bengals, and Ravens is that the Chiefs barely got any kind of disadvantage. Maybe having to play in the AFCCG on a neutral field after being handed the bye? That's nothing compared to the other teams.

But ultimately a man almost died on national TV so I just don't have it in me to complain. Maybe for non-Bills fans it doesn't hit the same way because it wasn't a player on your team. Be happy Hamlin is going to be okay and your team has a chance to win a Super Bowl.

I personally will be pulling hard for a Raiders victory this Saturday.  I don't see how they can do it, but they lost by 1 point in Week 5 and they've had 3 other recent losses that could have gone either way, so I'm hoping for the best.  Go Raiders!

Wish playing in Vegas gave the Raiders more home-field advantage (never sounds like a home game to me, I expect it to sound like half Chiefs fans) but It Is What It Is.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Again you didnt watch either game.  I have seen the Bills down but in total control of the game - the Bears game was way closer than it should have been going int other second half but there was never any doubt.  We had a dozen miscues vs the Pats and put ourself in a bad situation.  Bucs were tipping passes and runners were tripped by the white line monster in the 1st half but we never got the feeling oh no... until the very end of the Pats game.

I do feel for the Bengals (and agree they're getting the worst of it) but I think you are way over-playing what would have happened in the Bills game. I still think it was 50-50 because of Buffalo's propensity all season to play a crappy first quarter on defense. 

I would still hope that if the two teams meet, we'd play in a neutral site. I'm hoping that's one of the options on the table. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Lothar said:

I do feel for the Bengals (and agree they're getting the worst of it) but I think you are way over-playing what would have happened in the Bills game. I still think it was 50-50 because of Buffalo's propensity all season to play a crappy first quarter on defense. 

I would still hope that if the two teams meet, we'd play in a neutral site. I'm hoping that's one of the options on the table. 

I'm not over playing it, I'm a Bengals fan brother. LOL. I'm sure you saw it differently, but I am not dumb, I know Josh and Diggs could have come back at any time.  I actually think we deserve the chance to bring you back to the Jungle....

• Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Still, the Bengals never controlled their destiny in that scenario. It would have still been dependent on the Chiefs. On the other hand, the Bills could very well end the season having been the #1 seed for the last month of the season, won every game they played, and still finish as the #2 seed and miss out on the bye. The only carrot they are offered is, you don't have to go to KC for the n-teenth time in a row in the playoffs. But KC still gets to rest up on the bye week, and still doesn't have to play an away playoff game for the first time in the Mahomes era.

The Bills control of their own destiny was taken and given to KC as a result of the cancellation. The Bills did everything they could possibly be expected to do to secure the bye and home field, but are denied the reward, which is now gifted to the Chiefs like another one of those convenient flags on marginal plays at critical times. That's gotta be as harsh as anything Cinci is arguing IMO.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, harryS said:

i expected the NFL to give us an L, so i'm pretty happy with this outcome.  we probably got better than we deserved, but even you don't agree with that statement, i don't see how you can B word too much

Same. I kind of surprised by this outcome. I thought the Bills would have to forfeit and probably end up with the 3 seed and I had already come to terms with that.

32 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I'm not over playing it, I'm a Bengals fan brother. LOL. I'm sure you saw it differently, but I am not dumb, I know Josh and Diggs could have come back at any time.  I actually think we deserve the chance to bring you back to the Jungle....

Fair enough. I think a trip to the Super Bowl should be as fair as possible in this case. Given all the circumstances, I think the AFC championship game between any of the three teams in question should be at a neutral site.

And I'll be rooting for the Bengals if Buffalo doesn't make it. Your team is all class. Except maybe Hendrickson. 

Edited by Lothar
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This would be nice for us because it guarantees we get something if we win Sunday.

Let's say they announce this before Saturday and KC loses.

Do the Bills take the Bye?  

The Raiders are such a flaky team, I wouldn’t be surprised if they pulled off an upset over KC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

The Raiders are such a flaky team, I wouldn’t be surprised if they pulled off an upset over KC.

I would be surprised, but very pleased.  Rooting for them.

McDaniel could end the season by improving on his W-L % in his stint as Denver HC.  7-11 would put him at 41% vs 39% in Denver.

I will say that I believe Stidham really understands and is comfortable in McDaniel's offense, and Carr just never quite was.

A lot depends upon if Jacobs can play.  He was "limited" on Tues and DNP Weds for "personal reasons".

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.