Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

11 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

Giving a win to both Bills and Cincy will leave everything intact, with all three teams (KC also) with the chance to get the n.1 seed with a win and other possible teams losses. 

With all respect, that doesn’t leave everything intact, as that was the Bills toughest test of year, and teams like mine (kc) stood to gain from a loss.  

Giving both teams a win seems like the only thing they shouldnt do.

ps - i have lurked the board for years, its the best nfl message board that i know of, nothing but love for Hamlin and your team/city.  Surely do not want to see you guys at arrowhead or buffalo with the ball in Allens hands and the clock expiring. 
the problem for us is we dont want to see cincinatti anymore either.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don’t know think Hamlin’s status matter in regards to scheduling. 

Hi literally died in front of his entire team and the country. He was brought back to life after 9 minutes. 

I am very concerned with Hamlin as a person. But he already died on national TV. There’s zero reason to play this game. 

No reason to play the pats game? Yeah idk how they play again without a positive update. I’m the one saying I think the Bills might not play again 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

No reason to play the pats game? Yeah idk how they play again without a positive update. I’m the one saying I think the Bills might not play again 

Sorry, I didn't go far enough back in the exchange. I thought you were talking about the Bengals. 

I think the Bills play the Pats. But I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Well if it was on the radio...

just for reference of course

28 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

As crazy as it might sound, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Bills don’t play another game this year. No matter how that looks if they just say they are done…wouldn’t surprise me at all

It would surprise me quite a bit.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

Just play out the week and then decide with a coin toss like Friday Night Lights. Just so many scenarios depending on outcomes of week 18. 

Bills players probably don’t care too much about seeding at this point. Probably rather be amongst themselves and skip week 18 and then  start in wild card weekend

That is what propose

we get a week off in week 18

rest everyone - mac Jones still sucks so we may still beat them

be ready for the home game week 1 of playoffs by then Hamlin May be trending up and so will our guys psyche

• Like (+1) 1

This is obviously unchartered territory and who knows if they will reschedule the game… but if they do, would the NFL force the Bills to play with the same lineup?  Would they go into the game being down 2 DB’s?  Again, I realize it’s all hypothetical at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

As crazy as it might sound, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Bills don’t play another game this year. No matter how that looks if they just say they are done…wouldn’t surprise me at all

Assuming and God willing Damar pulls through this even if debilitated for a while,  Do you think HE would want his teamates to just mourne their careers away and sacrafice their hopes and playoff aspirations?   If anything I imagine he would want them to go out and win the whole damn thing in his honor. 

I keep remembering back in 2003 Brett Favre and the packers were to play the Raiders on MNF and his dad passed away the night before.  As tragic as the situation was Brett ultimately decided to play the game  knowing that's what his dad would want and ended up putting up one of the most impressive performances of the year.

We can pray for Damar and rally around him at the same time and go accomplish that ultimate goal he himself was striving for.   

Edited by Lost
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

This is a problem for the Bills to sort out.  Washington played a game in between Sean Taylor's death and his funeral.  We should be able to play this Sunday. 

I get the comparison but not exactly the same thing. Sean Taylor’s death was hundreds of miles away from the players and they didn’t watch medical attention given  to their teammate on the field. The Bills were an immediate part of this trauma and present. The Redskins players were not present for Taylor’s suffering. That is a WHOLE different level of mental trauma as the world saw last night on tv on the Bills faces. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Today is Tuesday , normally players day off 

Yeah more of the coaching staff putting in plans which NFL network reported they were starting to do today. Won’t be easy at all. Certainly not the normal work week for players and coaches. 

56 minutes ago, Beast said:

the Bills will be playing football against the Patriots. The NFL is a business and it’s not just about one team. There are many teams that will be laying it on the line this weekend in hopes of making the playoffs.

Do you think the Dolphins, Steelers or Jaguars should go out onto the field and play a game of football and put themselves at risk of injury all the while the Bills don’t play and hand the Patriots a playoff spot? Should the Bengals forfeit to the Ravens and let the Ravens claim a division title because they most certainly were shook by this as well? Should they all cancel their games too after the blood, sweat and tears they put into this season going back to mini-camps?

I guarantee you everyone in the NFL as well as fans of football are all pulling and praying for a Hamlin recovery. In the meantime, there will be games. And the Bills will be part of them.

They moved games for Covid. You don’t think they can move games for this?  You speak in absolutes. Just state an opinion. What you’re saying is a guess. It’s ok to admit that. Maybe they play Sunday. Maybe they don’t.  You and no one else knows if the Bills will actually play this Sunday. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Billznut said:

I get the comparison but not exactly the same thing. Sean Taylor’s death was hundreds of miles away from the players and they didn’t watch medical attention given  to their teammate on the field. The Bills were an immediate part of this trauma and present. The Redskins players were not present for Taylor’s suffering. That is a WHOLE different level of mental trauma as the world saw last night on tv on the Bills faces. 

Yeah more of the coaching staff putting in plans which NFL network reported they were starting to do today. Won’t be easy at all. Certainly not the normal work week for players and coaches. 

They moved games for Covid. You don’t think they can move games for this?  You speak in absolutes. Just state an opinion. What you’re saying is a guess. It’s ok to admit that. Maybe they play Sunday. Maybe they don’t.  You and no one else knows if the Bills will actually play this Sunday. 

No, because then the NFL will have 2 games to move. That won’t happen because the Super Bowl Date is locked in.

And, yes, I do know the Bills will be playing the Patriots this week.

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Billznut said:

You speak in absolutes. Just state an opinion. What you’re saying is a guess. It’s ok to admit that. Maybe they play Sunday. Maybe they don’t.  You and no one else knows if the Bills will actually play this Sunday. 

They don't have to say they are guessing. If they are so sure of it they can say it. If they are wrong call them out afterwards. I'd rather see someone put some weight behind their statement and not just see all equal guesses.

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

What we witnessed last night was tragic and horrific. At some point, players will have to choose to either play the game or walk away - there is no in between. 

They will, and I expect them to play against New England on Sunday, and they will be emotional.  I just expect them to get some sort of respite before they have to go to Cincinatti again, and they will get it.

We send out youth to war and they experience so much more, and we expect them to keep fighting.  It's just that this is just a game.  They will have to be strong and play the game they love.  It just may take them a few to remember why.

The NFL is praying the Chefs lose this week, then they can reveal it will be a no-contest before Cinci and Buffalo play their games, Cinci can come away with the 2 and the Bills can still take the 1 or if Bills lose they fall and nobody is shocked.

45 minutes ago, henry jones said:

This is obviously unchartered territory and who knows if they will reschedule the game… but if they do, would the NFL force the Bills to play with the same lineup?  Would they go into the game being down 2 DB’s?  Again, I realize it’s all hypothetical at this point.

I would assume that the active gameday rosters would be locked in.  I mean, there's been talk of Hyde coming back, but if this game is rescheduled, I doubt he'd be allowed to participate, even if healthy and cleared.  On that same note, Hubbard for the Bengals wouldn't be allowed to play, either.

The unknown here is Taron Johnson.  I get that Hamlin's situation is far more serious, but we don't know Johnson's situation, or at least I haven't heard anything.  I would guess he WOULD be allowed to play if able, as he was on the gameday roster.

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The NFL is praying the Chefs lose this week, then they can reveal it will be a no-contest before Cinci and Buffalo play their games, Cinci can come away with the 2 and the Bills can still take the 1 or if Bills lose they fall and nobody is shocked.

Bengals wouldn't get the #2 seed even with a KC loss and a win over Baltimore.  KC would be 13-4, while Cincinnati would be 12-4.  The only way the Bengals get the #2 in that scenario is if the Bills lose to NE, as the Bengals would win the SOV tiebreaker over the Bills for the #2 seed.

If the Bills/Bengals game isn't played, some team, in some form or fashion, will get the short end of the stick.  Not saying that it should be played, just saying that, if it isn't, the lack of a game result there is gonna affect a team or two.

Edited by BLeonard
  • Agree 1

At this point in the season I don’t see how they make up the game. If they play sometime after this weekend all the AFC opponents would  get an extra week while the Bills and Cinncy have to play while the other 5 teams rest up and prep. We’re talking about 2 of the top 3 teams in the AFC.  Basically all AFC playoff teams would get a bye except for Cinncy and us. Both of these teams are already in the playoffs. Making them play puts them into an unfair disadvantage going into the playoffs. At this point playout the weekend games and “hope” KC and Cinncy both lose making the seeding much easier. 

Someone on another forum said if not playing this game or having it be a tie gives KC the number one seed, then how do you think Damar will feel when he wakes up that he cost the team at a shot at the number one seed? [Of course, he wouldn't have, but that is how he would feel probably.]

I am not sure what to think. Maybe play the game at a later date in his honor?

Edited by chongli

56 minutes ago, Supercoupe91 said:

With all respect, that doesn’t leave everything intact, as that was the Bills toughest test of year, and teams like mine (kc) stood to gain from a loss.  

Giving both teams a win seems like the only thing they shouldnt do.

ps - i have lurked the board for years, its the best nfl message board that i know of, nothing but love for Hamlin and your team/city.  Surely do not want to see you guys at arrowhead or buffalo with the ball in Allens hands and the clock expiring. 
the problem for us is we dont want to see cincinatti anymore either.

No. Having the Bengals and bills play at a later date is wmthe worst thing they could do. Anything to benefit a team not directly impacted last night is unfair. They shouldn't be given a win but the if the Bengals, bills, and chiefs all win this weekend the bills should be 1, Bengals 2, chiefs 3. 

The chiefs lost to both teams. They got lucky on enough games this year time for the "luck" to run out.

I'll let the chiefs get the first seed for one condition... He shabes his head and that goofball chia pet on his head. 

34 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

They will, and I expect them to play against New England on Sunday, and they will be emotional.  I just expect them to get some sort of respite before they have to go to Cincinatti again, and they will get it.

We send out youth to war and they experience so much more, and we expect them to keep fighting.  It's just that this is just a game.  They will have to be strong and play the game they love.  It just may take them a few to remember why.

You just typed my thoughts exactly. From a guy thats been in a few wars, you either find the strength to continue on or not. Of course, this is a game, but a violent one that comes with many risks. I am, by no means, trying to suggest our boys don’t need some respite and rest, but they will have to figure this out collectively. Right now, I want this young kid to survive and have a healthy normal life outside of football.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BLeonard said:

I would assume that the active gameday rosters would be locked in.  I mean, there's been talk of Hyde coming back, but if this game is rescheduled, I doubt he'd be allowed to participate, even if healthy and cleared.  On that same note, Hubbard for the Bengals wouldn't be allowed to play, either.

The unknown here is Taron Johnson.  I get that Hamlin's situation is far more serious, but we don't know Johnson's situation, or at least I haven't heard anything.  I would guess he WOULD be allowed to play if able, as he was on the gameday roster.

Bengals wouldn't get the #2 seed even with a KC loss and a win over Baltimore.  KC would be 13-4, while Cincinnati would be 12-4.  The only way the Bengals get the #2 in that scenario is if the Bills lose to NE, as the Bengals would win the SOV tiebreaker over the Bills for the #2 seed.

I doubt very strongly that there will be any type of "roster lock" like you describe.  This flies in the face of everything the league has done insofar as making sure teams get as many healthy bodies on the gameday squad as possible, up to the 53 limit.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.