Other NFL Tragedies - Midseason

ngbills

Last night was way different being during a game and in front of the world. Things are looking positive and hopefully Hamlin is able to make a full recovery. 

Thinking about other NFL tragedies and what followed. Below are some notable players that died during the season in tragic ways. In every case the games went on even within days of the deaths...

Sean Taylor - Murdered; Team played days later.

Jovan Belcher - Murder suicide. Much taking place at KC facility and team played days later. 

Jerry Brown - Car crash with teammate. He died and teammate survived the crash. 

Chris Henry - Fell out of car during domestic dispute. Had issues and was attempting comeback. 

I am sure there are others but these came to mine. The games will go on. Hopefully the events that took place last night will bond the team together. Yes life is more important than football. But the game is also what brings so many people together and we have seen what happens for many when the games ends. 

I remember Chuck Hughes of Detroit suffering heart failure during a game against Chicago in 1971.  He died hours later at the hospital.  I hope to think that medical science has advanced in the last 50 years to the point that Hamlin is still alive and can recover from this trauma.  

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

The big difference is that the Hamlin tragedy happened on the field. You're asking guys to come back to participate in an activity quickly after watching a teammate possibly lose his life during said activity. For this reason, I do not think the Bengals game will ever be completed.

I think the nfl quietly hopes it’ll prove to be inconsequential after this weeks games. 

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Last night was way different being during a game and in front of the world. Things are looking positive and hopefully Hamlin is able to make a full recovery. 

Thinking about other NFL tragedies and what followed. Below are some notable players that died during the season in tragic ways. In every case the games went on even within days of the deaths...

Sean Taylor - Murdered; Team played days later.

Jovan Belcher - Murder suicide. Much taking place at KC facility and team played days later. 

Jerry Brown - Car crash with teammate. He died and teammate survived the crash. 

Chris Henry - Fell out of car during domestic dispute. Had issues and was attempting comeback. 

I am sure there are others but these came to mine. The games will go on. Hopefully the events that took place last night will bond the team together. Yes life is more important than football. But the game is also what brings so many people together and we have seen what happens for many when the games ends. 

random off the field accidents have occured causing death

— murder

— stabbing

— drugs/ drinking

— csr wccidents

— helicopter/ plane crashing

— boating/ swimming/ drienung

— heart issues

there have been college players who died due to a heart ailment undiagnosed.

this incident has occured in baseball like getting hit by a ball ( catcher)

events that occured during the game and player died then or dhortly sfter is not st all common.

desthd in sport are much more common in motor sports..dale esrnhart.

52 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I remember Chuck Hughes of Detroit suffering heart failure during a game against Chicago in 1971.  He died hours later at the hospital.  I hope to think that medical science has advanced in the last 50 years to the point that Hamlin is still alive and can recover from this trauma.  

And they continued the game. There was only like one minute left, so the team just took a knee.

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Completely off topic, but it's surprising to me that this kind of thing doesn't happen more in ufc and boxing, but especially ufc. The brain trauma has to be outstanding 

Dudes have to be concussed almost every fight. I wonder if it's just under the radar because it not a sport our kids are all trying to get into. Or simply it doesn't bring in as much money and viewers as football therefore people care less idk. Good thought though. 

5 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Dudes have to be concussed almost every fight. I wonder if it's just under the radar because it not a sport our kids are all trying to get into. Or simply it doesn't bring in as much money and viewers as football therefore people care less idk. Good thought though. 

Don't forget hockey . .. .

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

The big difference is that the Hamlin tragedy happened on the field. You're asking guys to come back to participate in an activity quickly after watching a teammate possibly lose his life during said activity. For this reason, I do not think the Bengals game will ever be completed.

I'm not sure why that matters.  Furthermore, we still don't know what happened to Hamlin to make him collapse.  It certainly seems to have had something to do with what happened on the field, but it may have been related to an undiagnosed medical condition.  The collision in question appeared to be nothing out of the ordinary...    

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I'm not sure why that matters.  Furthermore, we still don't know what happened to Hamlin to make him collapse.  It certainly seems to have had something to do with what happened on the field, but it may have been related to an undiagnosed medical condition.  The collision in question appeared to be nothing out of the ordinary...    

Speaking for myself, it hits closer to home when you are watching something like this live on TV.

The news reports on horrible tragedies everyday, but not visually witnessing it does give a level of disconnect.

As someone who has watched the NFL for over 30 years, I think a certain level of risk is accepted.  Until last night, the worst of the worst seemed to be the few times where players have become paralyzed.  The realities of concussions are just starting to become clearer and taken more serious.  But nobody expects to see a player getting CPR and fighting for his life while lying on the field.  It's a nightmare.

I've watched videos from several doctors today, and most seem to believe it was simply a blow to the chest that caused his heart to stop.  It was a one-in-a-million freak accident, and didn't even look like a vicious blow in real-time.  I was reading that bulletproof vests for police officers are designed specifically to avoid this.  Because even if the bullet doesn't penetrate, the force can cause something similar to what we witnessed last night.  

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

Completely off topic, but it's surprising to me that this kind of thing doesn't happen more in ufc and boxing, but especially ufc. The brain trauma has to be outstanding 

Actually boxers suffer more brain trauma than mma fighters 

mma has quicker stoppages , and grappling and wrestling…. Boxers take way more trauma to the head 

you can be knocked down 3 times a round … get up and they will continue to let you fight … 

mma you get cracked , fall to the ground , he jumps on top hits you 1-2 more times and the ref pulls you off 

obviously a roundhouse kick to your face will change your life but that doesn’t happen frequently to pros… so boxers sustain more head trauma and mma fighters more body trauma and superficially wounds

Mma around the world suffers around 1 death per year … boxing … mostly in Asia , averages around 11+

Edited by Buffalo716

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.