Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

13 minutes ago, Airseven said:

I’m not referring to Vegas odds. I’m referring to the reality of what was occurring on the field.

I do understand this “neutral” outcome is the preference here because it prevents the Bills from getting beat.

Dude our offense moved the ball quite easily on the Bengals. For you to imply that halfway through the 1st quarter we were going to lose is kinda ridiculous. Bengals got the ball first too. 

They aren't playing this game on Wednesday and then Bills/Bengals play again on Sunday.  I just don't see them putting either team in that position.  You have competitive ramifications for New England, KC, Pittsburgh, Miami, Ravens, etc based on the outcomes.

What's the issue with declaring the game a tie? whatever they can do to not be unfair to Cinci or KC is probably the most fair scenario.  And keep the competitive balance for Sunday's games by giving both teams the full 6 days to mentally and physically prepare to play again.

7 hours ago, Locomark said:

I just don’t see how they play the Bengals game with Hamlin’s true status not being known for days or maybe a full week or more.

A. I prefer they give both KC and the Bills a Bye and kill the #7 seed in the AFC. 
I know the NFL will never do this because it’s 1 less playoff game. 

B. If the Bills and Chiefs both win next weekend, we are 13-3, Chiefs 14-3, Bengals 12-4.  they could rank Bills and KC 1 and 2 based on conference %. Though this really screws the Bengals because they didn’t get their shot at us. (Chiefs would 9-3, Bills better at 9-2, FYI Bengals are 8-3) 

C. They can select by plain win % then KC gets the 1 seed (assuming they win Saturday) and we get the 2 seed. Now we get stuck with an extra game and no bye through no fault of our own, which makes me push back to my option A because why should we be punished for an act of god? 

Other ideas? 

They give top 3 by % a bye. KC, BUF, CIN. That also eliminates a playoff game but it doesn't penalize the Bills and Bengals for not playing a game.

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The NFL isn’t going to cancel a game. My best guess is that it resumes on Wednesday.

As for other options, IMO Cincinnati should not be penalized for doing the right thing in that situation. It was very early, but it is worth noting that it was a game they were winning. 

Both teams had a possession and scored. It would be more fair than NFL OT.

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

They aren't playing this game on Wednesday and then Bills/Bengals play again on Sunday.  I just don't see them putting either team in that position.  You have competitive ramifications for New England, KC, Pittsburgh, Miami, Ravens, etc based on the outcomes.

What's the issue with declaring the game a tie? whatever they can do to not be unfair to Cinci or KC is probably the most fair scenario.  And keep the competitive balance for Sunday's games by giving both teams the full 6 days to mentally and physically prepare to play again.

Declaring the game a Tie is basically an L for the Bills and is also unfair to the Ravens

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The NFL isn’t going to cancel a game. My best guess is that it resumes on Wednesday.

As for other options, IMO Cincinnati should not be penalized for doing the right thing in that situation. It was very early, but it is worth noting that it was a game they were winning. 

We need to leave behind this mindset that someone is going to be penalized in this scenario. The players and coaches don't feel that way. I know on here the #1 seed is considered life or death but it isn't. I just don't understand how anyone could even care about the #1 seed anymore. If it were about forfeiting the Super Bowl I would understand more.

The NFL is going to go with the simplest solution which offers the least disruption to the season as a whole and gives the Bills and Bengals players enough time to process what they just experienced. The only solution that makes sense in that context is a cancelled game that counts as a tie or one less game on the record.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Couldn't the league just push everything back a week or two. Maybe no week 18 games at all this weekend. What is the slowest time of the year in sports? After the Super Bowl. Baseball doesn't start April and football already plays while regular season basketball/hockey goes on. If the Super Bowl is played in late Feb/early March would that be the end of the world. Considering what happen last night pushing games back is probably the right thing to do. I don't see how the Bills could resume play with the Bengals or even prepare for the Pats right now.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They give top 3 by % a bye. KC, BUF, CIN. That also eliminates a playoff game but it doesn't penalize the Bills and Bengals for not playing a game.

Both teams had a possession and scored. It would be more fair than NFL OT.

They'd never do that because a game on TV is revenue. They don't care if a team gets screwed as long as the games are played. 

20 minutes ago, Airseven said:

I’m not referring to Vegas odds. I’m referring to the reality of what was occurring on the field.

I do understand this “neutral” outcome is the preference here because it prevents the Bills from getting beat.

I'm begging you to leave the board and go troll another team. You had your fun. Please read the mood of the community and take it elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Dude our offense moved the ball quite easily on the Bengals. For you to imply that halfway through the 1st quarter we were going to lose is kinda ridiculous. Bengals got the ball first too. 

Bills were an Allen/Beasley timing hiccup away from this being 7-7.   We moved the ball at will on our first drive.  

As frustrating as it is, we’re all very familiar with our defenses slow starts.  

To act like anyone knows how this game was going to go, even if the Bengals go up 14-3 on their current drive, is being ridiculous and completely disrespectful to the grit and heart this team has shown this year.  

I say this as someone who was ready to throw my tv watching our defense in those first 1.5 drives.   ….I also know we have a seasons worth of data to rely on as to the good & bad tendencies of this defense all year long. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

There is no way this game is completed. If this happened before Dec 1, something probably could have been worked out. But not at this point in the season. If all teams were affected, then yes, something would be done. But that is not the case. .... In the end, the only fair thing they can do for all NFL teams is go by winning % for the play-off seeding. Maybe I lack faith, but I do not see any other fair solution with all the ancillary issues: player safety and metal health, schedules, TV money, competitive fairness, etc.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Forfeit should be a non-starter.  This team has worked too hard to be essentially punished for a circumstance beyond anyone's control

If the Titans weren't forced to forfeit a game or multiple games a few years ago....and instead a handful of teams were negatively impacted

How can the league possibly justify a forfeit here

10 minutes ago, chongli said:

Someone on another forum said just cancel the season. This is a good idea. MLB did it before with the player's stike.

I agree with Warriorspikes51.  Forfeiting or cancelling the season just doesn't make any sense and I am NOT speaking from the standpoint of a fan.  Many of us have put ourselves in the shoes of the players on the field and correctly came to the decision that the game had to be suspended last night.  Their brother was getting CPR.  If I keep myself in those same shoes, while I am still reeling today, eventually I am going to care.  Meaning the players will begin to care about playoffs at some point.

For us football is a distraction/entertainment.  For them, football is their life.  They work their entire lives to get to the point where they are in the NFL.  They often work 12 months of the year training and getting ready.  They shoot for personal and team goals.  They dream.  The Superbowl matters to them.  It defines careers and impacts contracts and they only have a very short window.  

I can't imagine putting in the work that they do and not caring.  Today, yes, Damar is all the matters - praying.  Eventually, the players will also care about the thing they have devoted their life to, while still caring about their brother.  Forget the fan.  Forfeiting or canceling the season?  That is not fair to them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I cant imagine they play this week.  I think the best answer so far is to move forward and play next week's games.  After the last game is done - flip a coin for the Bills/Bengals.... or flip two coins.  The first decides if it's a tie.  The second decides who wins.

Edited by DasNootz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

they're 100% more likely to skip the game then play it today or tomorrow. they'll go to the playoffs off win percentage. to rearrange a game and drag these players back on the field is difficult and unfair. it's unfair to just give both teams a W. it's ridiculous to just skip the game to hand the chiefs #1 seed after both teams beat them but the Chiefs are the new Patriots* so the NFL doesn't care.

i don't even know how they will be ready to be successful against the Patriots. And with McCorkle and Judon being cheap shot artists and the Bills knowing it - i imagine they'll be nervous to play them. McDermott and this team would have forfeited the season if he passed away, i 100% believe this. if they play the patriots - the patriots will win and the classless trash of boston will beat their chest.

Boston:

3pne4m.png

You say it's ridiculous to hand the Chiefs the #1 seed and yet you advocate for just that by suggesting they'll use win percentage to determine seeding.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

I agree with Warriorspikes51.  Forfeiting or cancelling the season just doesn't make any sense and I am NOT speaking from the standpoint of a fan.  Many of us have put ourselves in the shoes of the players on the field and correctly came to the decision that the game had to be suspended last night.  Their brother was getting CPR.  If I keep myself in those same shoes, while I am still reeling today, eventually I am going to care.  Meaning the players will begin to care about playoffs at some point.

For us football is a distraction/entertainment.  For them, football is their life.  They work their entire lives to get to the point where they are in the NFL.  They often work 12 months of the year training and getting ready.  They shoot for personal and team goals.  They dream.  The Superbowl matters to them.  It defines careers and impacts contracts and they only have a very short window.  

I can't imagine putting in the work that they do and not caring.  Today, yes, Damar is all the matters - praying.  Eventually, the players will also care about the thing they have devoted their life to, while still caring about their brother.  Forget the fan.  Forfeiting or canceling the season?  That is not fair to them.

Thank you for this. Advocating to cancel the season is absolutely bonkers. Its a game to us - its a career/life to them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.