Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

3 years ago this week for me, i was involved in gnarly accident. Was struck by a large vehicle, thrown 30 feet, 6-7 surgeries, lost a limb, nasty nasty concussion. I was unconscious for 5 or 6 days.

Obviously different physical traumas, but i would guess the public would be surprised how much a victim like that can remember.

I didnt remember anything about my accident, where i was/how i got hurt or any of my week in the hospital. Slowly with time, i started getting poloroid snapshots of different moments within that week.

Years later i can remember several different clips from that first week.  Will be interesting to see him fully recover and maybe get to watch his perception of his accident grow over the years as he tells the story.

I half tried to share my perspective, half needed to vent a little here too. The timing of this so near my anniversary, has made me a little bit more raw this week than in past years. So thanks for that ❤️

Hey bro….glad you are still here with us and having a positive message from your experience!   Thanks for sharing!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

one last thought for the day. When Damar Hamlin walks out of his hospital room and realizes all that has happened since he was knocked out in the cinci game. Can you imagine? I see him as being gobsmacked with all the Love, all the Care given from around the world...and all the money. He is  world famous individual

He will wake up to this HUGE endowment and Legacy. wow Wow WOW

Im confident he is going to be just fine! And live his life filled with gratitude and Thanks in the aftermath of this. I really do think so

God Bless you Sir. 💙💙💙

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A HUGE thank you to all that have contributed their expertise here. beck water, red tail Hawk, Herc11, garypnc, MR WEO, Turftoe and many others I have missed. Many of us have been through or had relatives experience induced comas but it has been through such a wide range of reasons that it is difficult to comprehend what is happening. I appreciate you helping us as we know this will not be a short process and there will not be quick public statements and Damar won’t suddenly be awake and talking. It nice to know he is in a top notch center and getting great care. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, muppy said:

one last thought for the day. When Lamar Hamlin walks out of his hospital room and realizes all that has happened since he was knocked out in the cinci game. Can you imagine? I see him as being gobsmacked with all the Love, all the Care given from around the world...and all the money. He is  world famous individual

He will wake up to this HUGE endowment and Legacy. wow Wow WOW

Im confident he is going to be just fine! And live his life filled with gratitude and Thanks in the aftermath of this. I really do think so

God Bless you Sir. 💙💙💙

I cant help but picture dude being at a playoff game in a suite. at the ralph. jumbotron pre-game message or live shot. hope we can get there on both sides of that coin. could you imagine stadium energy, Damar seeing/feeling that, and the juice in the locker-room. It really could be one of the all time great 30 for 30s

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Is the trauma with players coming from the ones that formed a circle around the incident?

They saw the paramedics bring a dead player back to life. Lot more Bills formed that human wall (to keep the cameras away)... So they are affected more. 

Just judging the reaction of players like Allen... They seen the whole deal... And it's never pretty. 

A bit different from an accident. These players are then expected to go in and possibly cause the same thing again where in an accident, they are not expected to induce this kinda *****...

Lot easier for the Bengals players because many were on that circle around Damar...

24 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

3 years ago this week for me, i was involved in gnarly accident. Was struck by a large vehicle, thrown 30 feet, 6-7 surgeries, lost a limb, nasty nasty concussion. I was unconscious for 5 or 6 days.

Obviously different physical traumas, but i would guess the public would be surprised how much a victim like that can remember.

I didnt remember anything about my accident, where i was/how i got hurt or any of my week in the hospital. Slowly with time, i started getting poloroid snapshots of different moments within that week.

Years later i can remember several different clips from that first week.  Will be interesting to see him fully recover and maybe get to watch his perception of his accident grow over the years as he tells the story.

I half tried to share my perspective, half needed to vent a little here too. The timing of this so near my anniversary, has made me a little bit more raw this week than in past years. So thanks for that ❤️

God bless you Shredder!

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Good point that being the one everyone looks to takes a high toll of emotional energy, and that the Bills have gone through A Lot this season.

I hope you're correct and that he reaps the reward of having created that environment, if he needs the support himself.  I hope he's OK.  It would certainly be understandable if he's struggling, or temporarily overwhelmed.  But I think the Bills needs him right now, so I hope he's able to tap the inner resources of his Faith and his family, and be present for them.

He won’t let them down.

Despite his initial reaction of being overwhelmed when the incident occurred… he collected himself on the field after the fact. He conducted a prayer and calmly had discussions with the referees/Zac Taylor with cameras on him. Even clips of him in the hallway on the phone… he was composed. 

I’ve pointed out a clip of Sean McDermott numerous times on here over the years, the clip when the Bills made the playoffs. The one where he tried so very hard to contain his emotions despite the desire to be excited. That’s when I knew who he was… he works SO hard not to get too high or too low. 

The fact that he reacted the way he did Monday told me how scary the situation was… that’s the point that I broke down.  Then in the next shot he quickly flipped the switch back to calm… because he knew that everyone on the sideline needed him to be calm and make the best decision for all of them. 

The man lives to lead. He lives to serve his people.

When the day comes that Sean McDermott is no longer the Buffalo Bills head coach, it will be a sad day. He’s fostered something special. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

He won’t let them down.

Despite his initial reaction of being overwhelmed when the incident occurred… he collected himself on the field after the fact. He conducted a prayer and calmly had discussions with the referees/Zac Taylor with cameras on him. Even clips of him in the hallway on the phone… he was composed. 

I’ve pointed out a clip of Sean McDermott numerous times on here over the years, the clip when the Bills made the playoffs. The one where he tried so very hard to contain his emotions despite the desire to be excited. That’s when I knew who he was… he works SO hard not to get too high or too low. 

The fact that he reacted the way he did Monday told me how scary the situation was… that’s the point that I broke down.  Then in the next shot he quickly flipped the switch back to calm… because he knew that everyone on the sideline needed him to be calm and make the best decision for all of them. 

The man lives to lead. He lives to serve his people.

When the day comes that Sean McDermott is no longer the Buffalo Bills head coach, it will be a sad day. He’s fostered something special. 

Well said. It’s actually embarrassing that it takes an incident of this nature before some people realize this. Is he perfect? Of course not no one is. But he’s a great coach and leader and as Bills fans we are lucky to have him. 

Edited by AlfaBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

48 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I cant help but picture dude being at a playoff game in a suite. at the ralph. jumbotron pre-game message or live shot. hope we can get there on both sides of that coin. could you imagine stadium energy, Damar seeing/feeling that, and the juice in the locker-room. It really could be one of the all time great 30 for 30s

to those saying the 2 seed doesn’t matter… 

can you imagine him leading them out of the tunnel before an AFCCG against the bengals in Buffalo? 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

It could be him. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was… he’s weathered storm after storm (Life and Football) the last 8-12 months. It takes a toll.

Being the person everyone looks to is exhausting on it’s own… mix in major events like:

Kim Pegula

Topps Shooting

Matt Araiza Rape Allegations 

Luke Knox Passing

Dane Jackson Neck Injury

Micah Hyde Neck Injury

Josh Allen UCL

Von Miller ACL

Game Moved to Detroit Due to Weather

Travel Back to Buffalo on X-Mas Eve Canceled 

Damar Hamlin

Everything we know about him says that he won’t give up… the “funny part” is… he created an amazing environment that will support him in the event he is struggling. 

As he should. Wouldn’t expect anything less. 

Well said JGMcD2. I 100% agree, he's faced so much this year that even though we were favorites to win the Super Bowl, I believe he should be a favorite to win COY honors.

This team doesn't always play the smartest, but you can probably count on only 1 hand the number of times this team didn't show up and give maximum effort during his time here. That's one of the things he's great at, consistently getting great effort out of the team.

For all the complaining that has been done about him(some warranted) and even though we all knew he was a good, solid leader of men, I don't think any of us knew just how great and strong of a leader he really was until this year. He absolutely is and was the right man to lead the Buffalo Bills. I always liked McDermott, but this past year I've grown a new level respect for him. He's exactly where he's supposed to be.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

It could be him. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was… he’s weathered storm after storm (Life and Football) the last 8-12 months. It takes a toll.

Being the person everyone looks to is exhausting on it’s own… mix in major events like:

Kim Pegula

Topps Shooting

Matt Araiza Rape Allegations 

Luke Knox Passing

Dane Jackson Neck Injury

Micah Hyde Neck Injury

Josh Allen UCL

Von Miller ACL

Game Moved to Detroit Due to Weather

Travel Back to Buffalo on X-Mas Eve Canceled 

Damar Hamlin

Everything we know about him says that he won’t give up… the “funny part” is… he created an amazing environment that will support him in the event he is struggling. 

As he should. Wouldn’t expect anything less. 

Don’t forget the blizzard and resulting deaths.  It’s a lot.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Don’t forget the blizzard and resulting deaths.  It’s a lot.

And the heat-related trauma from the Miami game.

-----------

I was reading another forum with this tweet re the medical personnel each NFL team and stadium has. Pretty awesome.

Edited by chongli

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

I was just thinking about this. When he finally comes to, I imagine the last thing he'll remember is playing in the game. Will probly be a total mind f when his family/Dr's tell him what happened and everything that followed in the days after

Likely. At this point I’m not sure if some of what I remember in the before and after is my memories or remembered stories from others. 

32 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Alright. I don't want to cry anymore this week. Uncle!

What a heartfelt statement, and so true. I'm thinking about it, and I'm sure we're going to have quite a few battles w/ the Bengals in the years ahead - we'll likely win some, and likely lose some, and they'll probably always be pretty crucial games.  But I'm fairly sure I will never have any negative feelings about that team or fanbase or city.  There is just a bond between these cities now. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.