Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah, from what I heard from nurses, CPR can cause some serious damage...that's why sometimes they don't do it with very old or frail people because the damage it would cause would be too much...said they "fake it" at times when they know they can't do CPR.

What? Fake CPR? I’ve never heard that before. That’s insane if true. I’ve learned how to do chest compression and yes it can break ribs etc but still can save a life. A friend of mine suffered a heart attack just last month. He’s 49 and suffered several dislocated ribs but he’s alive. 

• Like (+1) 3

Guys, I teach anatomy and physiology.  Just saw a report indicating he’s lying in a prone position.  You do that when oxygenation is impaired; It was one of the advances made in treating Covid patients.

Lung damage does not have to be a physical assault like from compressions.  When the heart isn’t functioning properly then pressure backs up into the lungs and you get pulmonary edema.  It’s harder to oxygenate through the lungs with edema.  Hence the requirement for higher oxygen.  I’m glad to hear they’re reducing the % O2.

just heard a cardiologist say this will be a marathon and not a sprint.  The next few days will be crucial; once they try and take him off the respirator they’ll find out if he can breathe on his own, and if so start assessing neurological and organ damage.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

1 minute ago, AlfaBill said:

What? Fake CPR? I’ve never heard that before. That’s insane if true. I’ve learned how to do chest compression and yes it can break ribs etc but still can save a life. A friend of mine suffered a heart attack just last month. He’s 49 and suffered several dislocated ribs but he’s alive. 

They said it's usually for really old people like in their late 80s or 90s when they know won't survive it.

• Like (+1) 1

prayers to Damar. My dad severed his aorta valve in a vehicle wreck, flighted to denver and they did surgery and repaired it but he went too long with out oxygen to the brain and had no brain activity. we as a family had to make the dicision to take him off life support. i truly hope that having medics right there and performing life saving cpr and defib and oxygen that he will come out of this.  prayers #3. i just hope he didnt suffer anything in his brain.

• Sad 7

1 minute ago, AlfaBill said:

I remember my teacher in lifeguarding class in HS, she said if you don't break a rib you're not doing it hard enough.

Hearing them annoying last night that they were "pounding" on his chest makes me think she was right. 

Luckily, I never needed to learn that lesson the hard way.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure if this was posted yet. It’s a little graphic (mods feel free to delete if deemed so) Chris Pronger took a puck to the chest and the same thing happened. Looked very scary.  I don’t think he spent time in a hospital over night and played a few games later. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah, from what I heard from nurses, CPR can cause some serious damage...that's why sometimes they don't do it with very old or frail people because the damage it would cause would be too much...said they "fake it" at times when they know they can't do CPR.

I've been a nurse 7 years working with geriatric patients and I have never heard this theory make the rounds. If we call a code on someone and they don't have a DNR/DNI, we are doing everything possible to save them

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Mostly broken ribs or sternum... i guess if ribs break and puncture a lung it possible but havent seen it in all the cases ive xrayed post

2 minutes ago, Wyobills89 said:

prayers to Damar. My dad severed his aorta valve in a vehicle wreck, flighted to denver and they did surgery and repaired it but he went too long with out oxygen to the brain and had no brain activity. we as a family had to make the dicision to take him off life support. i truly hope that having medics right there and performing life saving cpr and defib and oxygen that he will come out of this.  prayers #3. i just hope he didnt suffer anything in his brain.

Sorry for your loss. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wyobills89 said:

Wow. So sorry to hear that. Sorry for your loss. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Yeah that's bs. My wife's an icu nurse,  they run codes all the time.  Unless there's a dnr they do anything they can to revive the patient.  The after affects are dealt with if they're successful.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Silvercrw said:

I have been a board member since 1996-97 and injury to Hamlin as truly shook me. I am also am a Youtuber/filmmaker with multiple channels and I could not, not make this video. I also spoke about this board and inserted a message from one of you. Hope you guys like it.I Can't BELIEVE This HAPPENED | Damar Hamlin

Very much sums up what a lot of us are feeling/dealing w today! Thanks for doing this well done!!

1 minute ago, rajinka said:

Yeah that's bs. My wife's an icu nurse,  they run codes all the time.  Unless there's a dnr they do anything they can to revive the patient.  The after affects are dealt with if they're successful.  

I second this.  My wife was a nurse for her whole life and blew her own shoulder out trying to resusitate a patient.  That ended her career but the patient lived.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I mean this not as a knock on the bengals but a compliment to humanity: I think all 32 franchises and fans would respond similarly 

they have been great though. 

Maybe so.  However, it is the Bengals team and fans that were there and will forever be linked the Bills and their fans.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah, from what I heard from nurses, CPR can cause some serious damage...that's why sometimes they don't do it with very old or frail people because the damage it would cause would be too much...said they "fake it" at times when they know they can't  If a patients advance directives are for a full code ,  you bet the nurses and staff will do everything to bring a patient back including sometimes breaking ribs during chest compressions 

This is patently false .  if a patient’s advance directives are for a full code ,  the medical staff will do everything to try to bring them back during an arrest ,  including breaking ribs .  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

Very much sums up what a lot of us are feeling/dealing w today! Thanks for doing this well done!!

Your welcome. I think all of us are feeling this exact same way at this exact moment. Football doesn't even matter anymore when you see something like this happen in front of your eyes. It was a like watching a horror film unfolding in front of our own eyes🙏

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.