Deep thoughts, with Bruce Vilanch

BruceVilanch

Good evening from the west coast. I've been partaking in the devil's lettuce and that got me thinking...

When's the last time we were the first AFC team to clinch the playoffs? The fact that just 4 years ago the jury was still out on JA and just reaching the playoffs by coming in the backdoor (nice) was a feat to be celebrated. now we're the first team in the conference to punch their ticket to the tournament, it's pretty incredible.

This team has its warts, but going back 20 games (including playoffs) we are 16-4, and each loss was single digits. We're a tough out, even on bad days, and we have weapon X in Josh Allen. I'm pumped for these last three games. And I think we're about to see Josh in playoff mode.

Mods feel free to delete, I'm high and watching bills content.

Also, I wrote this in the GDT but wanted to say it here too. Me and my dad came to the jets home game from Oregon, and I have to say, the town of buffalo has some of the friendliest people I've ever met, thank you for always showing us a good time when we come out. Go bills 

• Like (+1) 25
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 6

21 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

Good evening from the west coast. I've been partaking in the devil's lettuce and that got me thinking...

When's the last time we were the first AFC team to clinch the playoffs? The fact that just 4 years ago the jury was still out on JA and just reaching the playoffs by coming in the backdoor (nice) was a feat to be celebrated. now we're the first team in the conference to punch their ticket to the tournament, it's pretty incredible.

This team has its warts, but going back 20 games (including playoffs) we are 16-4, and each loss was single digits. We're a tough out, even on bad days, and we have weapon X in Josh Allen. I'm pumped for these last three games. And I think we're about to see Josh in playoff mode.

Also, I wrote this in the GDT but wanted to say it here too. Me and my dad came to the jets home game from Oregon, and I have to say, the town of buffalo has some of the friendliest people I've ever met, thank you for always showing us a good time when we come out. Go bills 

Buffalo thanks you for coming 

• Like (+1) 2

As long as we have Josh Allen, anything is possible.  The Bills have their flaws, but so does everyone else.  The difference maker is #17.  That kid is incredible.  If the Bills could get one or two difference makers, WOW!  What a force they would be.  A dominant RB or a 2nd WR.  Perhaps a gamechanger at DL or LB.  But that's all wishful thinking.  The kid from Firebaugh is the envy of the NFL.  And he's a Buffalo Bill!!!   

Saw the Bills finally defeat the Dolphins in 1980.  Suffered the 4 Super Bowl losses.  17 years without making the playoffs.  Then, this kid from Reedley Jr. College and the University of Wyoming arrives!  Couldn't be more thankful.   Merry Christmas everyone!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

To me, the minor detail that keeps on getting missed is the losses amount to like a total of eight points

last year this was a team that whenever they beat you, they dominated you, but whenever they lost, they got blown out they have learned from that mistake

Every game is close. We literally have had a chance to win every game that we have lost this year and we only lost three games.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

good stuff!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

As long as we have Josh Allen, anything is possible.  The Bills have their flaws, but so does everyone else.  The difference maker is #17.  That kid is incredible.  If the Bills could get one or two difference makers, WOW!  What a force they would be.  A dominant RB or a 2nd WR.  Perhaps a gamechanger at DL or LB.  But that's all wishful thinking.  The kid from Firebaugh is the envy of the NFL.  And he's a Buffalo Bill!!!   

Saw the Bills finally defeat the Dolphins in 1980.  Suffered the 4 Super Bowl losses.  17 years without making the playoffs.  Then, this kid from Reedley Jr. College and the University of Wyoming arrives!  Couldn't be more thankful.   Merry Christmas everyone!

I too Have witnessed All of above- I truly Feel Josh will bring us a Lombardi!! Go Bills!

20 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Didn't the Chiefs clinch playoffs before the Bills?

No.  Although the Chiefs had a slightly higher percentage probability of securing the #1 AFC position up until this past weekend's games, the Chiefs did not control their own destiny regarding the #1 seed.  Bills were first to secure an AFC playoff berth.

PlayoffStatus.com

for current projections.

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Yes you have.  You are simply unaware of who the potheads really are.

My redditor/weed-smoker detector has never once failed actually. Their spirit is clearly clouded by a miasma 

My friends who smoked pot either still smoke pot and are ambition-sapped fast food addicts driven solely by hedonism, or no longer smoke pot 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, arcane said:

My redditor/weed-smoker detector has never once failed actually. Their spirit is clearly clouded by a miasma 

My friends who smoked pot either still smoke pot and are ambition-sapped fast food addicts driven solely by hedonism, or no longer smoke pot 

Your mom's a miasma

• Haha (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, arcane said:

Maybe look into recalibrating that detector.  It has a lazy thinking kind of ironic miasma about it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, arcane said:

Your perspective is myopic. Which is fine. Just kind of annoying that you choose to go off topic in order to provide your morality sermon.

No one here is trying to please you. So why are you disappointed?

https://matadornetwork.com/nights/41-successful-stoners-time/

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I mean, I'm the director of a department at a hospital and I'm not 40 yet so I think my ambition is pretty dialed in. 

12 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

More importantly OP, which wings spot is best in Buffalo??

I went to duffs this time and barbill the other. I enjoyed barbill more.

• Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, cwater10 said:

Yes you have.  You are simply unaware of who the potheads really are.

I agree there are plenty of interesting people of all types. To automatically just disregard a group of people over one thing, whatever that may be, is far more cringeworthy a stance then any pot or other vice with the caveat that they don't impact others with their usage by a due or starting fights.  I've never seen any pothead start a fight though I concede if there's a shortage of munchies a couple of pothead could come to blows...  but likely they'd just phase into a fit of laughter as their current situation dawns on them.  

It actually might be good for them to expand their horizons from their narrow-minded existence.

To the anti pot poster 

You do you as you please.  Doesn't really impact on those of us who are tolerant.  It likely would be a waste for you anyway since enhancing thoughts only works well when you have thoughts worth exploring.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Your perspective is myopic. Which is fine. Just kind of annoying that you choose to go off topic in order to provide your morality sermon.

No one here is trying to please you. So why are you disappointed?

https://matadornetwork.com/nights/41-successful-stoners-time/

Disappointed in what? I'm shitposting, and a bunch of people are telling on themselves in response, I'm having a good time actually 

Weed is the pathway for hall monitors to feel like they're doing something edgy and cool

2 hours ago, cwater10 said:

Maybe look into recalibrating that detector.  It has a lazy thinking kind of ironic miasma about it.

Ah yes, I just need to be smarter/more open minded, then ill see the perspective of the pothead

One funny thing about them is that they insist on having gleaned profound insights, but are wholly incapable of delivering anything remotely resembling such a thing 

37 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I mean, I'm the director of a department at a hospital and I'm not 40 yet so I think my ambition is pretty dialed in. 

Oh no, a counterexample, my worldview has been destroyed 

11 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I agree there are plenty of interesting people of all types. To automatically just disregard a group of people over one thing, whatever that may be, is far more cringeworthy a stance then any pot or other vice with the caveat that they don't impact others with their usage by a due or starting fights.  I've never seen any pothead start a fight though I concede if there's a shortage of munchies a couple of pothead could come to blows...  but likely they'd just phase into a fit of laughter as their current situation dawns on them.  

It actually might be good for them to expand their horizons from their narrow-minded existence.

To the anti pot poster 

You do you as you please.  Doesn't really impact on those of us who are tolerant.  It likely would be a waste for you anyway since enhancing thoughts only works well when you have thoughts worth exploring.

I promise you I am more interesting than you are. And I keep reading comments insinuating that I'm somehow the butthurt one. Again, I'm enjoying myself and you guys are the ones being faced with an idea that you've repressed because you don't like to look yourself in the mirror 

• Haha (+1) 3

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

To me, the minor detail that keeps on getting missed is the losses amount to like a total of eight points

last year this was a team that whenever they beat you, they dominated you, but whenever they lost, they got blown out they have learned from that mistake

Every game is close. We literally have had a chance to win every game that we have lost this year and we only lost three games.

Actually I think only 1 of our 6 losses last year was a blowout (Colts game).

The rest were one score games, 2 were games a FG would have tied.

13 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Apparently mentioning the Devil's Lettuce is an excellent way to ensure that it becomes the topic of discussion,  and your football thoughts flitter away with little remark

Edited by Beck Water

3 minutes ago, arcane said:

Oh no, a counterexample, my worldview has been destroyed 

I promise you I am more interesting than you are. And I keep reading comments insinuating that I'm somehow the butthurt one. Again, I'm enjoying myself and you guys are the ones being faced with an idea that you've repressed because you don't like to look yourself in the mirror 

That explains it.  Your just a typical narcissist that cannot fathom other people not preening in front of some mirror and thinking that constitutes some true self awareness.   

I known myself quite well, I've always been introspective.  I tend to look at what I need to do to make myself better than I am at that moment.  So I don't waste my time looking in a mirror which by the way doesn't reflect anything deep, only the surfaces are seen.  So be happy in your safe little narrow-minded views in your shallow little world.  I'll do my soul-searching where it's actually relevant inside my core not in some silly reflection in a mirror you seem to feel grants you some insights and you feel that makes you more interesting to the world.  I know that's hogwash.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

That explains it.  Your just a typical narcissist that cannot fathom other people not preening in front of some mirror and thinking that constitutes some true self awareness.   

I known myself quite well, I've always been introspective.  I tend to look at what I need to do to make myself better than I am at that moment.  So I don't waste my time looking in a mirror which by the way doesn't reflect anything deep, only the surfaces are seen.  So be happy in your safe little narrow-minded views in your shallow little world.  I'll do my soul-searching where it's actually relevant inside my core not in some silly reflection in a mirror you seem to feel grants you some insights and you feel that makes you more interesting to the world.  I know that's hogwash.

Bahaha

Auntie Em: insinuates arcane is stupid and doesn't have a single thought worth entertaining 

arcane: essentially says "no u"

Auntie Em: seething tirade

This is your brain on weed, folks!

• Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, arcane said:

Bahaha

Auntie Em: insinuates arcane is stupid and doesn't have a single thought worth entertaining 

arcane: essentially says "no u"

Auntie Em: seething tirade

This is your brain on weed, folks!

I don't insinuate anyone is stupid because I don't have this uncontrollable need to label other people based on so little information which renders such a categorization truly without a supporting foundation made up initially solid facts.  

However your responses are so very lacking in any interesting content.  This alone makes it very clear to most that your claim to being such a more interesting person in fact makes you a pretty boring blowhard lacking ability to contribute.  That happens alot with those who share your narrow-minded views.  

Lol I haven't launched any seething tirades.  I reserve extreme emotions such as love or hate on things that matter and nothing you have said or can say could trigger any such response as you just aren't at all interesting to me.  I can't speak for others in this thread I'll let them speak for themselves or not as they so choose.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I don't insinuate anyone is stupid because I don't have this uncontrollable need to label other people based on so little information which renders such a categorization truly without a supporting foundation made up initially solid facts.  

However your responses are so very lacking in any interesting content.  This alone makes it very clear to most that your claim to being such a more interesting person in fact makes you a pretty boring blowhard lacking ability to contribute.  That happens alot with those who share your narrow-minded views.  

Lol I haven't launched any seething tirades.  I reserve extreme emotions such as love or hate on things that matter and nothing you have said or can say could trigger any such response as you just aren't at all interesting to me.  I can't speak for others in this thread I'll let them speak for themselves or not as they so choose.  

The very first time you quoted me, you said that I have no thoughts worth exploring. This insinuates that I am stupid. You said this. You did. 

Because of that, I said I was more interesting than you. This is, a bit abstractly, my cheeky way of saying "no u"

You then launched a wall of text about what kind of person I am to say such a thing, but it was only an echo of what you said in the first place!

28 minutes ago, arcane said:

The very first time you quoted me, you said that I have no thoughts worth exploring. This insinuates that I am stupid. You said this. You did. 

Because of that, I said I was more interesting than you. This is, a bit abstractly, my cheeky way of saying "no u"

You then launched a wall of text about what kind of person I am to say such a thing, but it was only an echo of what you said in the first place!

You have not presented any thought thus far worth exploring.  I invite you to show us one someone as interesting as you claim should find that to be a simple request.  And there are plenty of highly intelligent far from stupid people and amongst them I'm absolutely certain there would be some who have no thoughts I find worth exploring  yet it hardly makes them stupid. By being narrow-minded you choose to attach these labels to people based on miniscule facts you think you can extrapolate from a few random sentences.  That makes you you. It's also what makes you totally uninteresting to me and invalidates any opinions you espouse to have any merit to me even if I share an opinion.  Your credibility is suspect to me as soon as you displayed your narrow-minded views on someone just casually mentioning smoking pot and now they are just the same as everyone you've known who you insinuate as underachieving losers.   

Myself I find people attract people that share same characteristics so perhaps there's another reason these people you know are losers and the pot smoking they do doesn't help them.   Now I do tend to agree pot smoking isn't for everyone.  Just like some people should stay away from alcohol.   You come across as extremely young so it's probably still illegal for your friends to be using pot anyway.  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, arcane said:

so what are you. my redditor detector detects that you are someone who thinks there ***** doesn't stink yet we all know how ***** stinks.

get off your high horse kid.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

47 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

You have not presented any thought thus far worth exploring.  I invite you to show us one someone as interesting as you claim should find that to be a simple request.  And there are plenty of highly intelligent far from stupid people and amongst them I'm absolutely certain there would be some who have no thoughts I find worth exploring  yet it hardly makes them stupid. By being narrow-minded you choose to attach these labels to people based on miniscule facts you think you can extrapolate from a few random sentences.  That makes you you. It's also what makes you totally uninteresting to me and invalidates any opinions you espouse to have any merit to me even if I share an opinion.  Your credibility is suspect to me as soon as you displayed your narrow-minded views on someone just casually mentioning smoking pot and now they are just the same as everyone you've known who you insinuate as underachieving losers.   

Myself I find people attract people that share same characteristics so perhaps there's another reason these people you know are losers and the pot smoking they do doesn't help them.   Now I do tend to agree pot smoking isn't for everyone.  Just like some people should stay away from alcohol.   You come across as extremely young so it's probably still illegal for your friends to be using pot anyway.  

Auntie Em, I know I'm going off of very little information, kind of like our friend arcane, but I think you have a gorgeous brain!

So if you're ever in Miami, hit me up and we'll burn one down! LOL

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Love Barbill! As delicious as the wings are, their beef on weck is probably the best thing on the menu.

Deep thoughts, by Jack Handey

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man"

“I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they’d never expect it.”

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, AuntieEm said:

I am just going to have to repeat myself then, maybe it can be drilled past your fried dopamine receptors with blunt force-

This conversation between you and I began with an insult of me, provided by you. I didn't think highly of it, and repeated it back to you in slightly different words. You then went off about how that shows my true character, intelligence etc. You did not pick up on this irony one bit, because you are the exact type of person I enjoy chiding about matters like these, and now you are aimlessly detached from the original thread our conversation was on. But this is all we were talking about originally.

You want me to say something interesting? About what? What interests you? This is midwit gibberish 

Listen, I am aware that "not all [blank] are [blank]." No *****, lol. There are successful and smart people with any number of vices. That doesn't mean no patterns exist in the world. This is so trivial it would almost be surprising that I have to explicitly say it in a conversation with anyone beyond middle school - then again, I have been having it with weed smokers ;)

53 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

so what are you. my redditor detector detects that you are someone who thinks there ***** doesn't stink yet we all know how ***** stinks.

get off your high horse kid.

I have innumerable flaws. This does not preclude me from noticing cringe, or making blithe commentary on it

46 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Sir, why are you referring to yourself in the second person?

It was clear that the irony of the conversation was too abstract for him to pick up on, so I spelled it out cleanly.

I am just going to have to repeat myself then, maybe it can be drilled past your fried dopamine receptors with blunt force-

This conversation between you and I began with an insult of me, provided by you. I didn't think highly of it, and repeated it back to you in slightly different words. You then went off about how that shows my true character, intelligence etc. You did not pick up on this irony one bit, because you are the exact type of person I enjoy chiding about matters like these, and now you are aimlessly detached from the original thread our conversation was on. But this is all we were talking about originally.

You want me to say something interesting? About what? What interests you? This is midwit gibberish 

Listen, I am aware that "not all [blank] are [blank]." No *****, lol. There are successful and smart people with any number of vices. That doesn't mean no patterns exist in the world. This is so trivial it would almost be surprising that I have to explicitly say it in a conversation with anyone beyond middle school - then again, I have been having it with weed smokers ;)

I have innumerable flaws. This does not preclude me from noticing cringe, or making blithe commentary on it

It was clear that the irony of the conversation was too abstract for him to pick up on, so I spelled it out cleanly.

The initial comment directed at you was that your intolerance is distasteful to me and it in turn relegated any opinions you hold to be uninteresting to me because narrow-minded thinking is unacceptable to me.   I do not equate interesting with intelligence or lack of.  So I did not state any opinion on your intelligence.   If I were to form an opinion on that I'd look and see that your initial post in this thread did not contribute anything to the initial commentary about some thoughts that occurred to a fellow fan  who casually mentioned he thought this as he smoked some pot.   Nothing at all pertaining to anything else in his post but 'oh weed is so lame.'    

So it's ok for you to basically dismiss the original posters thoughts by not commenting save to express your opinions on pot that were not requested but then pretty much expect others to kowtow to your worldview.  I simply choose to find narrow-minded views to be uninteresting because variety is what allows progress much like matriculating down the field is easier and succeeds at higher rate with varied playcalling.

You state you like to 'chide certain people like you  assuming all pot smokers'....  I like to chide narrow-minded  people because that's much more dangerous than pot smoking. Spread a joint around everyone may get the munchies may contemplate things they can't when stressed by whatever stresses them.  Spread nartow-minded views you basically cut off any progress.  I prefer evolution to revolution.  Can you guess which mode of thinking leads to which.

As to what interesting things I'd want.  It would be a good start to stay on topic in a thread and add to it instead of hijacking it to promote a viewpoint you hold that is completely irrelevant to anything this post was about.   

I have unlimited interests and even being retired  I don't have time to pursue them all.  There are things I don't know I'd be interested in because even after 62 years I haven't been exposed to countless situations and of course there are gonna be things that are kept hidden that I'll never have opportunity to learn of.  

Was it because he reefer'd to pot as the devils lettuce that sent you into your lil crusade?  And I misspelled referred there on purpose.   

Think you misspelled your handle should be arcade where the kiddies go, but I guess arcane works to as it can mean old and irrelevant which is what your opinions are to me.  You can still value your opinions for yourself.  But none of us are required to just because you wish it.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.