Figuring out Knox

Wizard

3 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Kelce is the elite standard in the NFL for TE's. Well, the elite at any level... probably ever. 

As the years have gone by, the Chiefs use so much motion with him, he's so difficult to defend. We should be doing the same thing with Knox. Dawson is a BEAST with the ball... he's like Josh when it comes to welcoming hits. But when he's open, gotta try to get him the ball. 

Those ripping him for drops? Lets look at targets v catches the last few games... 

Pats: 1 target, 0 catches

Lions: 2 targets, 2 catches

Browns: 7 targets, 7 catches

Viks: 6 targets, 4 catches

Jets; 4 targets, 3 catches

Packers: 3 targets, 2 catches - 1 TD

Chiefs: 3 targets, 3 catches - 1 TD

Forget the situation or the coverage, throw, etc... he's had 26 targets his last 7 games with 21 catches and 2 scores. 

You kind of have to throw Kelce out of the equation. He's so elite that it doesn't make sense to use him as a comparison for any other player. He might be the most dominant player at a given position that I've seen since Gretzky in that no other tight end is even playing the same sport he is.

14 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I hated the extension terms. I thought he was worth half of what he got paid, but TE's are hard to come by in this league and they probably figured it was better to be all in on an above average talent than to not have one at all.

Tight End is one of those positions where teams seem willing to overpay. The Pats greatly overpaid both Jonu Smith and Hunter Henry. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You kind of have to throw Kelce out of the equation. He's so elite that it doesn't make sense to use him as a comparison for any other player. He might be the most dominant player at a given position that I've seen since Gretzky in that no other tight end is even playing the same sport he is.

I feel that Knox can be used in that way, motion at least once every series to get LB's confused. He has the speed to do that. No one will ever be like Kelce, dude is a freak. 

I'm trying to point out, Dawson does what he can do given the plays called and the throws by Josh. He catches nearly everything thrown to him, people only remember the occasional drop. He has caught it as well if not better than every TE in the league. He was tied for as the #1 scoring TE last season. He can also block.

Not sure what people want him to do. He's running wide open and the ball goes to Davis or Diggs. That's not a Knox problem.

23 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

A weird lob pass at a weird angle 🤣🤣

You crack me up. 

I would pay you to make excuses like this for me when i screw up. 

And watch the play. Josh was getting rushed, got destroyed and threw it as fast as he could being tackled... it was a high pass, more of a lob, while Knox was running in the flat. It wasn't a pass that hit him in the chest like you'd expect. 

You're attacking the dude for one pass while he's caught practically everything (including the game winner in Kansas City) this year.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Wizard said:

I am curious the opinion everyone has on Knox's role in this offense.

The guy is being paid a good chunk of change to average 2-3 catches a game and will probably have 500 receiving yards or less this season.

Tonight he had zero catches, and I believe one target.

Is he overrated? Is he not used properly? I know the Bills are not known for having top flight TE's. I am just trying to figure out if he's fools gold or if a package of plays need to be catered to utilize him.

What say ye?

He is just a puzzling and polarizing player in this offense in my view.

all of the above?

he’s not a top 5 kind of tight end but is a legitimate starter in the league

we haven’t seemed to scheme him well either. Seems like our underneath patterns were getting covered up quick lately, whether backs, receivers, or him… those quick outs haven’t been getting guys in space on the perimeter well and I haven’t seen him split the seam much (not watching all 22)

11 hours ago, Wizard said:

I am curious the opinion everyone has on Knox's role in this offense.

The guy is being paid a good chunk of change to average 2-3 catches a game and will probably have 500 receiving yards or less this season.

Tonight he had zero catches, and I believe one target.

Is he overrated? Is he not used properly? I know the Bills are not known for having top flight TE's. I am just trying to figure out if he's fools gold or if a package of plays need to be catered to utilize him.

What say ye?

He is just a puzzling and polarizing player in this offense in my view.

With Dion being out they needed him to be more of a blocking TE this game & he was on the side line early in the game i don't think he has been 100% this year but Josh doesn't seem to be looking to him as much either I think he is still a really good weapon & should be incorporated more especially in the red zone !! 

• Like (+1) 1

The only issue with Dawson Knox is his contract. There are like 3-5 good TEs in the league, and then everyone else. Good TEs are hard to find. We don't need an elite guy at TE when we have Diggs. 

The issue is we gave "just another guy" $13M per year. 

WR and O line and way more important and also are biggest needs. That should be where the money went. Or Poyer/Edmunds/Oliver.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

You keep making new friends here. Good for you!

You think Knox is worth that contract? If you do, you're wrong. Not really debatable. Going to need that cap space next year when we lose a few core players. If we win it all it won't matter, let's hope that is the outcome. 

Edited by Awwufelloff

The Bills are transitioning into a balanced offense with an interior O-line that showed impressive run blocking ability and an explosive RB in Cook against a rugged run defense in NE. I have to believe Knox was intentionally used as a decoy to open up underneath throws to the backs and the receivers. Knox will get targets as Dorsey continues to overhaul the QB run offense that defenses adjusted to. Also if Dion can’t come back, TE will have to be in pass protection because the depth at LT can’t block the edge.

Knox was targeted ONE time last night. One.

I realize he dropped that pass. Still, is that a reason not to go back to your super athletic tight end and the second highest pass catcher on your team for the entire rest of the game?

I really liked the game Dorsey called last night, as I have said in the post-game thread. But I still maintain that his scheming of Knox leaves a ton to be desired, and that despite the occasional bad drop, Knox is NOT the one to blame for his lack of production in the passing game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.