Like a bad pimple that keeps coming back, Peterman elevated to Bears active roster.

Draconator

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Not Peyton Manning, but most 2nd stringers are guys the team hopes can go 50/50 in games if they have to play for 2-4 games.  You want a guy who will give you at least 1.5 TD per INT and 200+ ypg.  Taylor Heineke in Washington is the prototypical example: 3 seasons in Washington, 12-11-1, 34 TD 21 INT 208 Y/G.  Not championship stuff, but good enough to win with a  stout defense.  Earlier in his career, Case Keenum most definitely fit into this category.  Chad Henne probably. Not sure Kyle Allen is quite good enough; the W are good enough in Carolina, the TD/INT were good enough in Washington; neither were good enough in Hou last year - is he recovered enough from that horrific dislocated ankle and broken leg?

Peterman doesn't have enough on-field talent to deserve to be a backup; sorry, he just doesn't.  53 ypg, 4 TD and 13 INT will NOT cut it.  There's a lot of room between a "Secret Peyton Manning" and a guy who can get you a 1.5 TD/INT ratio and 200 ypg.

What I think Peterman's got, that keeps coaches coming back to him, is a head for the game.  I joke that his whiteboard and film room abilities must be off the charts. He's fundamentally "Catnip for Coaches"

Yes I agree Beck Water. I think he’s there to mentor Fields. Nate has the smarts, he's shown it in practice and preseason games, but once he's playing real games, he just doesn't have enough, on-field talent as you said.

• Like (+1) 2

I understand that in baseball, a left handed hitting catcher can stay around for years even if he's mediocre or washed up.  In basketball, it's a white center.  But what is it that Peterman has that keeps him knocking around the league?  Maybe a cute sister with a good attitude?

• Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Yes I agree Beck Water. I think he’s there to mentor Fields. Nate has the smarts, he's shown it in practice and preseason games, but once he's playing real games, he just doesn't have enough, on-field talent as you said.

Maybe he's better coaching material like that Davis Webb guy

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

I understand that in baseball, a left handed hitting catcher can stay around for years even if he's mediocre or washed up.  In basketball, it's a white center.  But what is it that Peterman has that keeps him knocking around the league?  Maybe a cute sister with a good attitude?

I think he's a Whiteboard Wizard and fantastic at film, he either just can't process correctly in real time in the field and/or his brain writes checks that his arm can't cash

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Not Peyton Manning, but most 2nd stringers are guys the team hopes can go 50/50 in games if they have to play for 2-4 games.  You want a guy who will give you at least 1.5 TD per INT and 200+ ypg.  Taylor Heineke in Washington is the prototypical example: 3 seasons in Washington, 12-11-1, 34 TD 21 INT 208 Y/G.  Not championship stuff, but good enough to win with a  stout defense.  Earlier in his career, Case Keenum most definitely fit into this category.  Chad Henne probably. Not sure Kyle Allen is quite good enough; the W are good enough in Carolina, the TD/INT were good enough in Washington; neither were good enough in Hou last year - is he recovered enough from that horrific dislocated ankle and broken leg?

Peterman doesn't have enough on-field talent to deserve to be a backup; sorry, he just doesn't.  53 ypg, 4 TD and 13 INT will NOT cut it.  There's a lot of room between a "Secret Peyton Manning" and a guy who can get you a 1.5 TD/INT ratio and 200 ypg.

What I think Peterman's got, that keeps coaches coming back to him, is a head for the game.  I joke that his whiteboard and film room abilities must be off the charts. He's fundamentally "Catnip for Coaches"

The funny thing is coaches keep falling for it, Peterman is a guy who never, and I mean never gives information when a question is not directly asked, 😂

22 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Peterman has too little game experience to “mentor” anyone—especially a struggling passer like Fields.  

• Haha (+1) 1

There have been a couple times in my life when I saw a player get injured so bad that I thought it would end of their career (e.g. Joe Theismann, Kevin Everett).    

But I only witnessed one athletic performance so horrifically bad that I thought it would be career ending. 

Yet, somehow, it wasn't.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I like him.  I'll route for him to have his day.   He's a 10x better football player than any of the whiners on this lame chat board. 

What??? No one is saying anything about him personally. But he is maybe the worst qb in nfl history yet somehow keeps staying in the league. It’s wild and makes no sense. 

I mean good for him I guess. 

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What??? No one is saying anything about him personally. But he is maybe the worst qb in nfl history yet somehow keeps staying in the league. It’s wild and makes no sense. 

I mean good for him I guess. 

I guess the NFL GM’s and HC’s are not as smart as you and the others who are trashing him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

37 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I guess the NFL GM’s and HC’s are not as smart as you and the others who are trashing him. 

Honestly probably not. But great point since clearly the bears have shown to be awesome in their qb scouting ability. How can we possibly question the decision making of the Chicago bears who have been bursting with franchise qbs over the years???? Excellent, excellent point. You can never question politicians by your wonderful logic as well so I hope you don’t!

In a league where passing numbers are on steroids and records are broken every game, Nate Peterman has a qb rating of (and this is on steroids because of the era!) 39!!! But fans are not as smart as nfl GMs and coaches!!! 
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeteNa00.htm

for reference, this is about half less than EJ Manuel. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/ManuEJ00.htm

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/2/2023 at 1:01 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Peterman has too little game experience to “mentor” anyone—especially a struggling passer like Fields.  

But he has enormous worldly experience. He does seem a bit too old to be playing football.

Peterman.jpg.8d3595f2cc1a149b2caffc226c73557a.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly probably not. But great point since clearly the bears have shown to be awesome in their qb scouting ability. How can we possibly question the decision making of the Chicago bears who have been bursting with franchise qbs over the years???? Excellent, excellent point. You can never question politicians by your wonderful logic as well so I hope you don’t!

In a league where passing numbers are on steroids and records are broken every game, Nate Peterman has a qb rating of (and this is on steroids because of the era!) 39!!! But fans are not as smart as nfl GMs and coaches!!! 

Do the idiots you speak of include McD who started and nearly ruined the career of Peterman by playing him in a game when he obviously was not ready for it?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/1/2023 at 2:49 PM, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Yeah, that’s where his value is at. He must be an amazing Xs & Os guy or he’s got major dirt on some top NFL people. Must’ve overheard something w/ those satellite dishes on the side of his head. 

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Bears traded up from 3 to 2 in the 2017 draft with the 49ers who were not drafting a QB to make sure they got Mitch Trubisky, LOL!!  As to your post about Peterman being the worst QB in NFL history.  I would put Joey Harrington and Ryan Leaf close.  Didn't Peterman throw a pick against us on the last play for the Bears on Christmas Eve in garbage time?  

Why don't the Bears bring back old Jack Daniels man himself Kyle Orton to back up Fields?  His arm is probably good and rested since he last played for us in 2014.  

• Haha (+1) 2

21 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Do the idiots you speak of include McD who started and nearly ruined the career of Peterman by playing him in a game when he obviously was not ready for it?

Yea, one of the worst decisions of coaching career. That and hiring his first OC. McDermott was a disaster on offense his first year here. 

but they are nfl GMs. They can’t make mistakes!!!

leaf had other issues but had a 50 career passing rating.  Harrington had 69 (nice!).  You are going to be hard press to find a guy who started multiple games who is worse than NP (nice guy, joke of a qb).

17 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

The Bears traded up from 3 to 2 in the 2017 draft with the 49ers who were not drafting a QB to make sure they got Mitch Trubisky, LOL!!  As to your post about Peterman being the worst QB in NFL history.  I would put Joey Harrington and Ryan Leaf close.  Didn't Peterman throw a pick against us on the last play for the Bears on Christmas Eve in garbage time?  

Why don't the Bears bring back old Jack Daniels man himself Kyle Orton to back up Fields?  His arm is probably good and rested since he last played for us in 2014.  

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Game 17. Bears playing for draft position, meaning "we want to lose." Bears Nation turns its lonely eyes to Nathan Peterman.

And Peterman delivers! He plays conservatively, not obviously looking like they're trying to throw the game, but certainly not trying to win the game.

Mission Accomplished. 

That's why coaches like him.

On 4/5/2023 at 6:42 PM, Taro Nimbus said:

The fact that people still hate on this man is astounding.  Like give it a rest already!

Seriously. Bills fans should be grateful for Peterman. He forced Josh Allen onto the field and the rest is history.

Who knows? If he was a better QB, the Bills might still be in QB purgatory because maybe they would have tried playing with him for a couple of years and not drafted Josh Allen.

And heck, I'm sure he has improved, because that's what players do when they are in the league for a long time. There's no reason to hate him.

On 4/5/2023 at 7:42 PM, Taro Nimbus said:

The fact that people still hate on this man is astounding.  Like give it a rest already!

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Seriously. Bills fans should be grateful for Peterman. He forced Josh Allen onto the field and the rest is history.

Who knows? If he was a better QB, the Bills might still be in QB purgatory because maybe they would have tried playing with him for a couple of years and not drafted Josh Allen.

And heck, I'm sure he has improved, because that's what players do when they are in the league for a long time. There's no reason to hate him.

I don't hate Peterman at all, but I still have no problem pointing out that, statistically, he's the worst QB in the last 45 years with at least 130 attempts. It's not hate, it's a fact.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I don't hate Peterman at all, but I still have no problem pointing out that, statistically, he's the worst QB in the last 45 years with at least 130 attempts. It's not hate, it's a fact.

Well, he may be the worst QB who has actually played. There are a lot of QB's on and off rosters, on practice squads, etc who have never played a down of football in the NFL and probably never will. They still make a living, and Peterman is probably better than a chunk of those guys.

Peterman is a good teammate and probably does a good job in the meeting room and helping to prepare the starter, so coaches and starting QB's like having him around. That's all. Nobody actually wants him to play, just like nobody ever wants their 3rd string / practice squad QB to play. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, he may be the worst QB who has actually played. There are a lot of QB's on and off rosters, on practice squads, etc who have never played a down of football in the NFL and probably never will. They still make a living, and Peterman is probably better than a chunk of those guys.

Peterman is a good teammate and probably does a good job in the meeting room and helping to prepare the starter, so coaches and starting QB's like having him around. That's all. Nobody actually wants him to play, just like nobody ever wants their 3rd string / practice squad QB to play. 

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. I even said something similar earlier in the thread. 

I posted an article earlier that was written in 2018. Part of the article pointed out that it's rare to be that bad and get the amount of chances he's at. At that time he had 130 career attempts, now he has 160 and still hanging around 5 years later. He’s got to be at something off the field for sure.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.