Week 12: Bills at Lions on Thanksgiving

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Bills have been great on Thanksgiving in the McD era. I hope it continues on Thursday. I think I might still have some lingering PTSD  though from the last time in Detroit on Thanksgiving!

I was at this game as a fourth grader and still remember that flea flicker TD…

I would be going Thursday if I weren’t just there yesterday!

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I would like to see Cook and Hines in backfield at same time.  We could motion and set up mismatch's.  And it would be good for opponent to burn time outs- because Hines lines up wide against some slow LB

Yeah Maddy - WHEN do we see that? 

When does Hines actually get on the field and touch the ball on offense? 

McDermott is still talking about getting acclimated and once McDermott stuck Hines on special teams, is he ever going to let him do anything on offense or is that too much on the plate? 

When does Cook ever catch a pass again? 

They have 7-games here to get something going, and if they can't get anything out of the #3 WR position, they're not going to have enough time to develop these players in the Playoffs. 

1 minute ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

They started being patient and running into light boxes created by a 2 high shell. Then this year they started seeing more man because they beat the shell, and they’re torching it. 

Yeah you're right on this, they go 5 deep after Kelce, and the Bills are going to need all hands on deck to beat them again I think. 

Tre White, Elam, Benford, Jackson, Poyer, Hamlin, etc. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Gee, coach. Did you just realize that? 

While you are at it, consider using Hines as a receiver too. 

If Josh continues with the patient/low risk game, I am actually fine with it. Just because you have a Ferrari doesn't mean you need to floor the gas every time. 

Mahomes/Reid changed their O strategy last season to much success and it is not a bad one for the Bills to imitate. 

Well our media only seems to be asking how it feels to have Josh Allen, or what it means to them to get their driveway shoveled. 

Instead of something like, Brandon Beane told the media that Nyheim Hines would be used all over the field, in the slot, catching screens, handoffs, motion plays. Why has he only been used as a special teams player and not in the offense?  

But I guess a better question of your OC or Head Coach is what does it mean to you that Detroit shared their stadium on short notice? 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Bills have been great on Thanksgiving in the McD era. I hope it continues on Thursday. I think I might still have some lingering PTSD  though from the last time in Detroit on Thanksgiving!

I was there. Just like I'll be there Thursday. Family in the Detroit area.

Fun fact (if you believe me): as a junior in high school I attended this game with a handful of family members. Sat next to my Buffalo transplant uncle, and, I swear to you, at one stretch in the first half, to arrogantly demonstrate the Bills stale offensive playcalling, I luckily called/predicted ~5 consecutive Bills offensive plays down to the actual play result. I'm guessing I could reference a game script and zero in on the actual drive (absolutely involved a 5-7 yard Metzelaars pass over the middle on maybe 2nd down, but it's been a LONG time now).  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, chongli said:

Someone posted this in the Lions forum. They said the Lions should not blitz Josh Allen, as he is the best in the NFL under pressure according to this chart. This is awesome if true. We have the best QB in the NFL.

0d4b2fc1913fac89d71310b83c1b758b374326f0.png

If I’m reading this right, Josh is the ONLY QB in the league that is better when under pressure versus being in a clean pocket, and the ONLY QB that is better under pressure at all.  

I’d be curious to know his rushing stats when under pressure versus a clean pocket, because I feel like when he has a clean pocket, the defense is sitting back in coverage and thus he has more running room.  So if his release valves aren’t getting open, he’s either forcing a pass into coverage, or taking off and running with it.

• Like (+1) 2

I checked out the injury report for the game at the official Bills site.  I don't think there was a practice today, but an injury report was posted in any case.  It looks like Detroit is dealing with a more problematic injury situation than the Bills at this point.  All three interior offensive linemen were listed as non-participants as was one of their three starting WRs.  They're also likely to be without their top CB.  One other WR was listed as limited.  Like Buffalo's Rousseau. one starting DE was listed as out, John Paschal.  I assume that some of today's non-participants will be available on Thursday, but the Lions may be missing more players and more critical players.  It's been a while since the opponent had more of an injury issue than Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Wouldn’t it be good to have a semi consistent O personnel package that allows nearly any play thus element of unknown for the defense to deal with? rush, pass, short, long? 

btw:

“#68 Eligible” (Hart like 9 times)

4D offensive chess, bahahahah. 

I’m really hoping to see Diggs, Davis, knox, cook and Hines.  That could cause  problems by putting guys in motion and moving them around 

• Agree 3

15 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He gets 7-Days and faces a tough New England defense. 

That NE defense reminds me of us last year at least statistically.  They’re good but I don’t think they’re as good as they are on the stat sheet. The guy we just beat that we seem to be givin ourselves no credit for (Jacoby brissett) is probably the best qb they’ve seen in their last 5 games:

jacoby brissett 
justin fields 

zach wilson

sam ehlinger

zach Wilson 

dual threat qbs seem to be giving them a lot of trouble which seems like a bright spot for us…they really struggled against fields and Lamar 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, njbuff said:

Of all the injuries, Groot is the one that’s a killer.

Can’t believe that kid is so valuable already.

I somewhat agree, at least on how well Rousseau has been playing, but I would content that missing Edmunds is more problematic than Rousseau. We have decent options behind him, not so with Edmunds. His absence has shown the last 2 games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We'll have to gameplan for Swift, Williams and Jackson. Goff doesn't scare me.

I think the Bills pass defense has been poor the past two contests and the Lions are prolific at scoring points.    The Bills will, again, probably need north of 30 points to win on Thursday.  

10 hours ago, jkeerie said:

According to Joe B, the Bills did do that several times with one 8 yard loss but two 15 yard gains.  He expects to see it more as it forces defenses to choose between playing nickel or an extra LB.

The 8 yard loss was the facemask tackle by Clowney.  

9 hours ago, chongli said:

Someone posted this in the Lions forum. They said the Lions should not blitz Josh Allen, as he is the best in the NFL under pressure according to this chart. This is awesome if true. We have the best QB in the NFL.

0d4b2fc1913fac89d71310b83c1b758b374326f0.png

I'd like to see the percentage of times Allen is under pressure. It seems he has someone in his face more than half the time. Been that way since his rookie season. Can you imagine his numbers if he had the time Mahomes and Brady routinely have? He has one quick look, then he's dodging a DE. 

Conversely, imagine Mahomes or Brady behind the Bills O-line. 😆

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m really hoping to see Diggs, Davis, knox, cook and Hines.  That could cause  problems by putting guys in motion and moving them around 

I was thinking about this exact set of skill players too. I wonder if maybe Davis replaces Diggs on some plays, my thought process is Davis is a very good blocker and a deep threat. Lure the D in thinking it’s a run or a quick pass to Hines/Cook and Davis runs over the top. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.