Week 12: Bills at Lions on Thanksgiving

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

I think the Bills pass defense has been poor the past two contests and the Lions are prolific at scoring points.    The Bills will, again, probably need north of 30 points to win on Thursday.  

The 8 yard loss was the facemask tackle by Clowney.  

I forgot about the horrendous missed facemask by clowney, right in front of the refs, reminded me of the tripping non call right in front of the refs in KC.  Almost seems like WWE refs have more integrity than NFL refs.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well our media only seems to be asking how it feels to have Josh Allen, or what it means to them to get their driveway shoveled. 

Instead of something like, Brandon Beane told the media that Nyheim Hines would be used all over the field, in the slot, catching screens, handoffs, motion plays. Why has he only been used as a special teams player and not in the offense?  

But I guess a better question of your OC or Head Coach is what does it mean to you that Detroit shared their stadium on short notice? 

My hope is the Bills are installing plays specifically for Hines and waiting to use them against AFC East opponents.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

My hope is the Bills are installing plays specifically for Hines and waiting to use them against AFC East opponents.  

Yeah, I listened to the Dorsey press conference, and there was one media member who was aware, and actually pressed Dorsey on usage of Hines and McKenzie's lack of productivity the entire season.  

I share the concern among other fans here that we are getting nothing out of the slot right now. 

30 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yeah, I listened to the Dorsey press conference, and there was one media member who was aware, and actually pressed Dorsey on usage of Hines and McKenzie's lack of productivity the entire season.  

I share the concern among other fans here that we are getting nothing out of the slot right now. 

On MNF, there was a play where McCoy threw it to where the slot receiver was supposed to sit down in the zone on 4th and a couple yards.   The WR ran the normal route instead of breaking it off.  Pass fell incomplete with only the defender having a chance at it.  

Judging by some of the breakdowns of his play I’ve heard by the podcast guys, I don’t think Josh trusts McKenzie to know what to do on plays where the WR is supposed to read the defense in determining the route progression called. … nor does it seem McKenzie gives him any reason to. 

Edited by SCBills

31 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I would add Shakir to that question.  They don't give him any targets as well.  I know he's a rookie but we're 10 games into the season. 

Edited by DCbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

On MNF, there was a play where McCoy through it to where the slot receiver was supposed to sit down in the zone on 4th and a couple yards.   The WR ran the normal route instead of breaking it off.  Pass fell incomplete with only the defender having a chance at it.  

Judging by some of the breakdowns of his play I’ve heard by the podcast guys, I don’t think Josh trusts McKenzie to know what to do on plays where the WR is supposed to read the defense in determining the route progression called. … nor does it seem McKenzie gives him any reason to. 

Remember in 2014 with Watkins? 

The Bills would park him on the outside all game, and he'd be a decoy 90% of the game. 

All the fans would watch the game, see that Watkins has 3 catches for 31 yards and ask themselves why are there no flares, no bubble screens. If you can't figure out how to throw to him, could you hand it off, could you pitch it to him? 

And the coaches just were always miffed at any question as to why the 4th overall pick was touching the ball 2-3 times per game, and actually were pitching to fans the value of a decoy. 

I think the same thing now with McKenzie. He's more quick than fast, but still one of the faster players on the team from 0-20 yards, why can't they figure a way to get him in motion pre-snap and use him on drag routes over the middle, or pop a bubble screen? Look at what McDaniel is doing in Miami by simply having Hill and Waddle running across the formation at the snap. 

When Daboll was here a lot of us were asking why isn't he used more? But Sanders and Beasley added to Diggs and Davis and Knox made that less of a concern. But now? This team is in desperate need of some speed. And the Bills extended McKenzie. So why can't they figure out simple ways to get him the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Remember in 2014 with Watkins? 

The Bills would park him on the outside all game, and he'd be a decoy 90% of the game. 

All the fans would watch the game, see that Watkins has 3 catches for 31 yards and ask themselves why are there no flares, no bubble screens. If you can't figure out how to throw to him, could you hand it off, could you pitch it to him? 

And the coaches just were always miffed at any question as to why the 4th overall pick was touching the ball 2-3 times per game, and actually were pitching to fans the value of a decoy. 

I think the same thing now with McKenzie. He's more quick than fast, but still one of the faster players on the team from 0-20 yards, why can't they figure a way to get him in motion pre-snap and use him on drag routes over the middle, or pop a bubble screen? Look at what McDaniel is doing in Miami by simply having Hill and Waddle running across the formation at the snap. 

When Daboll was here a lot of us were asking why isn't he used more? But Sanders and Beasley added to Diggs and Davis and Knox made that less of a concern. But now? This team is in desperate need of some speed. And the Bills extended McKenzie. So why can't they figure out simple ways to get him the ball. 

Don’t disagree with this at all. 

Why McKenzie doesn’t run pre-snap motion or shallow crossers is beyond me. 

Watching KC’s offense, then ours, feels like they’re in advanced learning and we’re stuck in remedial classes. 

1 minute ago, DCbillsfan said:

I would add Shakir to that question as well.  They don't give him any targets as well.  I know he's a rookie but we're 10 games into the season. 

They really miss Beasley, or at least Beasley in his prime. He was a zone killer, and the Bills don't have anyone like that. If you take Diggs out, like the Browns seemed to, and there's not much left. A better run game will help, but Beane gambled that either McKenzie or Crowder could step up. Hasn't worked out that way. Like other posters here, I'd say it's time for Shakir, Cook, and Hines. 

Don’t disagree with this at all. 

Why McKenzie doesn’t run pre-snap motion or shallow crossers is beyond me. 

Watching KC’s offense, then ours, feels like they’re in advanced learning and we’re stuck in remedial classes. 

We agree, there just isn't much motion in this offense. 

The most creativity we have is occasionally sticking Hines on the outside now, occasionally a trips-bunch. 

But most of the time it's a static man on man look. 

1 minute ago, finn said:

They really miss Beasley, or at least Beasley in his prime. He was a zone killer, and the Bills don't have anyone like that. If you take Diggs out, like the Browns seemed to, and there's not much left. A better run game will help, but Beane gambled that either McKenzie or Crowder could step up. Hasn't worked out that way. Like other posters here, I'd say it's time for Shakir, Cook, and Hines. 

Yeah, and what I heard in Dorsey's press conference, he's talking about not upsetting the balance by "forcing" it to guys. 

But in my head it's like Ken, there are 7 games left man. 

How much time left do you have to get Hines some meaningful touches, try and get McKenzie the ball 1-3 times a game, get Shakir 1-2 catches per game. 

As good as Singletary looks lately.. I’m ready for James Cook to be the lead back. 

Would love to see him and Knox continue to be a bigger focus moving forward.  Especially after them both having strong games on Sunday. 

It likely won’t happen, re: Cook, because our staff is loyal to a fault at times .. but he looks explosive, capable of running between the tackles and has a knack of falling forward for 2-3 yards when there isn’t anything there. 

It’s not even really a knock on Singletary.. I just think, given how teams are playing us, along with our own internal issues, we need explosiveness in other areas.    Easiest way to find that is by handing/pitching it directly to Cook & Hines. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, SCBills said:

As good as Singletary looks lately.. I’m ready for James Cook to be the lead back. 

Would love to see him and Knox continue to be a bigger focus moving forward.  Especially after them both having strong games on Sunday. 

It likely won’t happen, re: Cook, because our staff is loyal to a fault at times .. but he looks explosive, capable of running between the tackles and has a knack of falling forward for 2-3 yards when there isn’t anything there. 

It’s not even really a knock on Singletary.. I just think, given how teams are playing us, along with our own internal issues, we need explosiveness in other areas.    Easiest way to find that is by handing/pitching it directly to Cook & Hines. 

Yes, the toss sweep back in the offense, instead of the molasses slow RPO out of shotgun that gets blown up every time. 

Maybe Knox becomes more of the moveable chess piece. 

I'm just happy that Cook is getting the carries that Moss would infuriatingly take away from Motor.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I think the Bills pass defense has been poor the past two contests and the Lions are prolific at scoring points.    The Bills will, again, probably need north of 30 points to win on Thursday.  

The 8 yard loss was the facemask tackle by Clowney.  

That's right!  Couldn't believe they didn't throw a flag on that one!  Those refs were awful!

If I’m Dorsey, I simplify things and stop trying to force pieces that aren’t working.   We’ve played 10 games. 

Settle on personnel sets.  

Singletary/Cook in the backfield.  Ideally getting towards a 50/50 split.  Cook warrants that, at least. 

Diggs & Davis outside.  

If the staff wants Shakir to be rookie year Gabe Davis and rotate in/back up all WR positions, fine.  Not ideal, but we have literally no depth, so I get it. 

If McKenzie isn’t working.  Give that role to Hines.  He literally can’t be less effective than what we’re currently getting from the slot.   Jet motion, line up in the backfield, line up in the slot. 

More Knox, especially in the safety valve, chain mover role.  

Gilliam, Morris and Hart all used in heavier sets. 

Basically… what id love to see starting on Thursday…. More Knox. More Cook.  Hines over McKenzie. 

• Like (+1) 2

If I’m Dorsey, I simplify things and stop trying to force pieces that aren’t working.   We’ve played 10 games. 

Settle on personnel sets.  

Singletary/Cook in the backfield.  Ideally getting towards a 50/50 split.  Cook warrants that, at least. 

Diggs & Davis outside.  

If the staff wants Shakir to be rookie year Gabe Davis and rotate in/back up all WR positions, fine.  Not ideal, but we have literally no depth, so I get it. 

If McKenzie isn’t working.  Give that role to Hines.  He literally can’t be less effective than what we’re currently getting from the slot.   Jet motion, line up in the backfield, line up in the slot. 

More Knox, especially in the safety valve, chain mover role.  

Gilliam, Morris and Hart all used in heavier sets. 

Basically… what id love to see starting on Thursday…. More Knox. More Cook.  Hines over McKenzie. 

Agreed and get Shakir some targets as well. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.