It Just FEELS as Though Buffalo Lost A Lot more Than the Game Yesterday

BuffaloBaumer

Not since the Super Bowl year vs the Giants did have the feeling that Buffalo was the best team in the league, and it wasn't even close. Besides losing to an also injury depleted Jets team, most likely the #1 seed, as well a nice cushion in the division, the aura of this team since to have slipped away as well. I am not saying the attitudes of the players have changed, I am talking about people I know. Yes, Bills fans can overreact a ton after a loss, but this one feels different.

For me, I am terrified that our invincible QB has gone back to his old ways and that is a pretty scary thought. For the last 2 years, I suppose I never thought that Allen would be the reason we ever lost a game (especially one like yesterday). Although Mahomes is not always perfect, he is never the reason the Chiefs lose a game here or there. Keeping the 1 seed is a distance 2nd place in my list of concerns when compared to how Allen responds the rest of the season. In a nutshell, it just sucks when the Bills vibe is sucked dry on a Monday and today it just seems as though everything has changed moving forward. The Vikings game can't get here soon enough to prove me wrong...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Not since the Super Bowl year vs the Giants did have the feeling that Buffalo was the best team in the league, and it wasn't even close. Besides losing to an also injury depleted Jets team, most likely the #1 seed, as well a nice cushion in the division, the aura of this team since to have slipped away as well. I am not saying the attitudes of the players have changed, I am talking about people I know. Yes, Bills fans can overreact a ton after a loss, but this one feels different.

For me, I am terrified that our invincible QB has gone back to his old ways and that is a pretty scary thought. For the last 2 years, I suppose I never thought that Allen would be the reason we ever lost a game (especially one like yesterday). Although Mahomes is not always perfect, he is never the reason the Chiefs lose a game here or there. Keeping the 1 seed is a distance 2nd place in my list of concerns when compared to how Allen responds the rest of the season. In a nutshell, it just sucks when the Bills vibe is sucked dry on a Monday and today it just seems as though everything has changed moving forward. The Vikings game can't get here soon enough to prove me wrong...

Except we are still the NO1 seed. 

we are still top dog in AFCE. 

on pace for a 12-4 record going into final week. 

still have 4 division games with 3 of them ar home. Yeah we will be fine. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I agree. Yesterday in a post I just wrote, "I'm sad," and this is really why. As someone who lived through the four Super Bowl losses my main driver in being a fan now is to finally see a team get over the hump. And it feels like my history as a Bills fan has been one of feeling stupid for actually having hope and believing in the team.

I really didn't think I would ever feel that way with this team with Josh Allen under center. And yet 0-2 in the division has me worried.

I know the season is long. And I know that this will all just make for part of a great story if we end up winning the championship.

But for the moment I feel that I've (potentially) been disillusioned regarding this team. That my belief was ill-founded and like I'm being forced to consider the possibility that this team to is somehow just another pretender. 

Caring about the Bills has been been a big unnecessary pain in my life. It hurts more than liking a sports team should.

Let's see how they respond.

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I agree on the Allen part but Mahomes looked Bad as well and if it wasn't for some terrible officiating, they lose.

He was missing wide open guys all day. It happens 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

It’s all about Allen.   That’s why you feel this way. 

The run defense has been an issue for multiple games every year and they figure it out. 

We thought we had  an elite QB, with an elite Offense.. and we likely still do .. but that aura is gone right now. 

I was at the Jax game last year, and it feels different when you’re there .. I imagine I’d have felt this way if I watched that debacle on tv .. but six quarters of our MVP caliber QB playing like Drew Lock and his supporting cast looking weak is definitely enough to let the air out of the balloon. (For the time being)

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It only takes one more bad game from Allen for this to unravel. He's just beginning his mid season lull, exactly what he said he needed to avoid this season...

I think losing the Division lead and falling to 2nd or 3rd place is more likely than them staying on top of the AFC/AFCE. Then they claw their way back.

Not ideal, but it's what they did last season.

So we are playing the What of game?  Cool I will play 

what if Tua goes down with Injury (like he has a history of)

what if the Jets continue to play like shot in the road. 

what if Kelce missed time. 

what does all that do to this what if scenario?

1 minute ago, mead107 said:

Can’t wait to hear all the crap after we drop the next 2 games.  
we might not make the playoffs.  

And when we don’t drop the next too will you switch to your other account? 

• Haha (+1) 1

We had our four-game winning streak snapped. It happens. Some people really believe we were going to run the table and 17-0. Or they will go at least 15-2 or 16-1. It's hard to do that especially with injuries. You know that saying the NFL is a "week to week league". That really is a thing as you see it play out all the time. What sucks here isn't the fact that we have 2 losses. 6-2 is a nice record. It's that they are divisional losses that's what really sucks. Bills must run the table at home against the division especially the Dolphins and Jets.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So we are playing the What of game?  Cool I will play 

what if Tua goes down with Injury (like he has a history of)

what if the Jets continue to play like shot in the road. 

what if Kelce missed time. 

what does all that do to this what if scenario?

And when we don’t drop the next too will you switch to your other account? 

I just like to stir the pot.  
feed all the nut cases. 
it’s fun. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

I agree. Yesterday in a post I just wrote, "I'm sad," and this is really why. As someone who lived through the four Super Bowl losses my main driver in being a fan now is to finally see a team get over the hump. And it feels like my history as a Bills fan has been one of feeling stupid for actually having hope and believing in the team.

I really didn't think I would ever feel that way with this team with Josh Allen under center. And yet 0-2 in the division has me worried.

I know the season is long. And I know that this will all just make for part of a great story if we end up winning the championship.

But for the moment I feel that I've (potentially) been disillusioned regarding this team. That my belief was ill-founded and like I'm being forced to consider the possibility that this team to is somehow just another pretender. 

Caring about the Bills has been been a big unnecessary pain in my life. It hurts more than liking a sports team should.

This ^^^^.  Almost 50 years of die hard fandom and all I feel now is total stress.  I worry about losing every game, watching them physically gives my body bad reactions.  I don’t enjoy my Sundays anymore, even when they win. Sports is suppose to be a fun outlet, the NFL and the Bills are not.  It’s not the team or players fault, they haven’t felt or lived through what so many of us have.  So many of current fans, including my boys, haven’t felt or lived through almost any of it.  I’m grateful they don’t feel this sh*t like I do.

I JUST WANT 1.  Then I can and will move on.

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

i agree. It's  a scary loss in many ways if you think about the next step we want to see.

I know it's only a game...we lost by only 3...we're still in first place in the AFC...I know...

But, a lot of questions about this game find their answers there; their coaching staff did a good job...and our coaching staff made their job easier.

In fact, if Allen doesnt play like Superman, we cant count on our coaching staff to help him.

He's the biggest part of the process, but i feel like he hides something about our Bills when he play like an ET.

There's no way you can let this young offense under Wilson ran all over the field so easily for the winning FG...

We didnt play Emmith Smith and the Cowboys of the 90's, it was Wilson and a real young offense.

Injury or not, there's no excuse for that at this level like there's no excuse for the 13 seconds last year.

There's also no way you cant find answer on offense against this young defense with all the weapons we have, even if Allen doesnt play at his best.

They are a good young defense, but they were ready for us and it was like we didnt practice at all during the week.

We were outcoach. Plain and simple. 

We want to have fun with our Bills and we will. No doubt about it.

But, if we want to have fun and see our Bills take the next step, our DC and OC and their staff have to be better than that. If they are just near this level in playoff, we'll be short again, like the 13 seconds, even if Allen play like an ET.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with this overall take.  It feels like more than just 1 loss.  All of the AFC east moves a game closer, the Chiefs move a game closer...and the Bills not only lost but looked like complete garbage.  This feels like a trend since the bye week, and with Minny coming in (and heck even the Browns the week after), it suddenly feels like do or die time.  I just hope these Bills don't turn into the Philip Rivers led Chargers...good most of the time but could never get a SB.

Maybe its because I live in a place surrounded by a lot of Jets fans but I always get nervous when the Bills play these guys.  The games never works out the way I expect.  Yesterday was obviously an example of that. 

This team looks like it's lost some of their swagger and energy since the win over the Chiefs.  Beating the Chiefs was an obsession and everything they did in the off season was designed to beat KC.  Everything early in the season was done with the objective of preparing for that game.  Once that goal was accomplished the team  had a collective letdown as Mission Accomplished.  But that's just not the goal here, and they know it.  Losing a carelessly and sloppy game against the Jets might be just the right medicine and provide the fuel for the needed attitude adjustment to re-focus on the real goal which is the Super Bowl.  They need to come out guns blazin' on both sides of the ball next Sunday  

Just now, Gene1973 said:

All reasonable scenarios. But how likely is it that Allen is back to himself next week vs. still in a slump but now with a bum throwing elbow? 

It's possible he starts lighting it up again, but that seems highly unlikely against a 7-1 team playing well, while still missing a lot of starters on D.

Von made a play that should have won the Bills the game, but Allen gave the ball right back. It really doesn't look like the slump will just end with this one loss.

Let’s see. I put the chances Better that he will be back to himself over Tua finishing the season healthy again. 

the elbow didn’t bother his 60 yard Dime that Davis dropped. 

maybe someone on the Bills should pick up Allen when he has a bad game for once. He does it enough for the rest of the guys. You think they would return the favor one time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I hear you...but honestly, there are only a game or two more of us being able to say "hey, we're the 1 seed and division leader".  Lost next week to Minny and suddenly we're NOT the 1 seed and we're in 3rd place in the division.  We're trending in the wrong direction.

42 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I think we are experiencing a mild slump.  The Bills will be back at it, doing handsprings, in no time. 

Amen to this. ^^^

There are ebbs and flows to every season. The Jets D is for real and Josh was off by his own admission. He will learn from the situation and go on. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Let’s see. I put the chances Better that he will be back to himself over Tua finishing the season healthy again. 

the elbow didn’t bother his 60 yard Dime that Davis dropped. 

maybe someone on the Bills should pick up Allen when he has a bad game for once. He does it enough for the rest of the guys. You think they would return the favor one time. 

That’s part of the problem.  Our skill players stay overrated. 

I saw multiple plays last night, in an ugly Chiefs/Mahomes performance, that I haven’t seen anyone make for Allen this year. 

Their WR5 and TE2 both made circus catches that Davis won’t make and McKenzie could never make.  Do we even have a TE2 anymore?

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

This ^^^^.  Almost 50 years of die hard fandom and all I feel now is total stress.  I worry about losing every game, watching them physically gives my body bad reactions.  I don’t enjoy my Sundays anymore, even when they win. Sports is suppose to be a fun outlet, the NFL and the Bills are not.  It’s not the team or players fault, they haven’t felt or lived through what so many of us have.  So many of current fans, including my boys, haven’t felt or lived through almost any of it.  I’m grateful they don’t feel this sh*t like I do.

I JUST WANT 1.  Then I can and will move on.

I think a lot of us that were relatively young during those Super Bowls really got our sport psychology pretty messed up.

It boggles my mind that our team even went to four straight super bowls. That alone is insane. And the fact that we lost every single one of them. The fact that i, yes, literally cried after four straight Super Bowls and had my heart broken.

When you suffer for something so long and so hard it is nearly impossible to give up. But part of me wishes that yes, the Bills win one Super Bowl, and then after I'm done relishing that victory I won't care about them anymore.

I know we're getting kind of deep here, but those four losses really did impact a lot of people psychologically.

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

trust me it’s hard to write this, but this statement sounds a little too familiar. Last year I believe we were the 1 seed coming out of the bye and we started to struggle. 

at first it was “ok don’t worry we still have the #1 seed and we will snap out of it” except we continued to lose every other week, looking like a shell of the team we were before the bye. 

the difference here is, we didn’t have the injuries we do now, including a possible injury to the QB, so eventually, once the playoffs started, we had everyone ready to roll (minus Tre white) and we looked great.

I will say this, as bad as Allen looked yesterday, he had us at midfield after ONE throw, if not for a holding call (one of my least favorite penalties in the nfl because it’s very often a drive killer), yet we got the lost yardage back on the very next play, only for the unfortunate strip sack which literally did kill the drive.  

but yeah, ultimately - in my opinion - the holding penalty changed the outcome of that drive from possibly winning the game and not having to hear about Allen’s struggles, to this being Allen’s worst game ever. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I hear you...but honestly, there are only a game or two more of us being able to say "hey, we're the 1 seed and division leader".  Lost next week to Minny and suddenly we're NOT the 1 seed and we're in 3rd place in the division.  We're trending in the wrong direction.

There is a game or two more we can continue to say that. Until we are not. We are 1-1 in the last two games and people acting like the wheels came off. Lol

Just now, BuffaloBill said:

Amen to this. ^^^

There are ebbs and flows to every season. The Jets D is for real and Josh was off by his own admission. He will learn from the situation and go on. 

The Jets have built a team that matches up very well with Buffalo. Their secondary can hang with our receivers. They can pressure with their front 4. They can run the ball. Imagine if Breece was playing yesterday. The Jets are going to be a pain in the ass for the Bills. Thankfully Wilson sucks because if he gets good then the Jets will really be a major problem. JD has built a solid roster.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

But you need to have perspective.  Even as SB "favorites," the Bills chances of winning it all is/was only about 20%.  That means it is 80% likely they won't win the SB. So just go with the flow and take it day by day, game by game.  The journey is supposed to be fun.  Not always-- but overall!! 🙂 

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I know he threw that pass after he was hurt, but I'm hoping it's not a nagging type of injury that gets worse the more he throws. I bet we won't get much from the Bills on the injury, just the usual day to day sore etc BS.

He specifically said it was a little pain. If there was ANY major issue with his throwing elbow he would not have been in the game. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

There is a game or two more we can continue to say that. Until we are not. We are 1-1 in the last two games and people acting like the wheels came off. Lol

No, I get it.  It's not like we got knocked out of the playoffs yesterday.  I think it's more the WAY we lost (and couple with last week's 2nd half) that gives me pause.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

That’s part of the problem.  Our skill players stay overrated. 

I saw multiple plays last night, in an ugly Chiefs/Mahomes performance, that I haven’t seen anyone make for Allen this year. 

Their WR5 and TE2 both made circus catches that Davis won’t make and McKenzie could never make.  Do we even have a TE2 anymore?

I hear you. Maybe eventually McD will allow Beane to use to premium assets to help Allen and or address the pathetic OL that Allen has played behind now for his career. 

6 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

trust me it’s hard to write this, but this statement sounds a little too familiar. Last year I believe we were the 1 seed coming out of the bye and we started to struggle. 

at first it was “ok don’t worry we still have the #1 seed and we will snap out of it” except we continued to lose every other week, looking like a shell of the team we were before the bye. 

the difference here is, we didn’t have the injuries we do now, including a possible injury to the QB, so eventually, once the playoffs started, we had everyone ready to roll (minus Tre white) and we looked great.

I will say this, as bad as Allen looked yesterday, he had us at midfield after ONE throw, if not for a holding call (one of my least favorite penalties in the nfl because it’s very often a drive killer), yet we got the lost yardage back on the very next play, only for the unfortunate strip sack which literally did kill the drive.  

but yeah, ultimately - in my opinion - the holding penalty changed the outcome of that drive from possibly winning the game and not having to hear about Allen’s struggles, to this being Allen’s worst game ever. 

Ok cool. Good thing the No 1 seed (which we still are by the way). Doesn’t keep you out of the playoffs. 

And to be honest. I don’t know if I want it after watching how Flat McDs teams have been after byes. 

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

If there were like structural issues to the point the joint wouldn't function yes. But there could be ligament stretch and even slight tearing and you'd be hard pressed to get Allen to come out I think.

So then he will be fine. As his Dime at the end of the game showed. Especially with how cautious this coaching staff is with Injuries. If there was anything major there he would have been off the field. 

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, Casey D said:

But you need to have perspective.  Even as SB "favorites," the Bills chances of winning it all is/was only about 20%.  That means it is 80% likely they won't win the SB. So just go with the flow and take it day by day, game by game.  The journey is supposed to be fun.  Not always-- but overall!! 🙂 

You sound kind and well-adjusted! 

I wish I could feel like you.

You are certainly right.

A lot of people, perhaps immaturely, are looking for the Bills to heal the wound they made in our sports psyche. 

It feels funny saying all of this out loud, but sometimes the truth ain't pretty. 😆

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.