Former GB and super bowl champion CB Sam Shields now says he regrets NFL career

Big Turk

30 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

It isn’t going to scare away anyone in Texas or Florida, and that’s where the talent is at this point anyway. Declining participation in northeast suburbs isn’t going to hurt the game. 

This. There are places in this country where football at all levels is revered and will continue to be until the end of time. In the South Football is like a religion.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, MJS said:

This. There are places in this country where football at all levels is revered and will continue to be until the end of time. In the South Football is like a religion.

California is a huge recruiting hotbed as well.  I could easily see youth contact sports being banned here at some time in the not too distant future.  Tackle football, like so many things these days, is likely to become a red state/blue state issue.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

My dad was a pro soccer player in the UK for a few years and then played at the top level of semi-pro for another half decade after that. He was a central defender who headed thousands of balls and probably hundred of opponents' heads in the process. He was diagnosed with early onset dementia at 59. He told me then that if you took him back and told him that was a risk at 16 he would not have done anything any different. They, to him, were the best years of his life. Now for everyone like my dad there is a Sam Shields who regrets it. 

The question is how long are people going to continue to take the risk? I think the answer is for a while yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

He looks terrible to be honest...like one of the drug addicts you'd see on the corner in a bad neighborhood. Looks like he's 50 and he is only 34.

Said his head feels like mush and concussions had a lot to do with it, and that he would not do it all over again if he had the chance...

Wonder how many players playing now are going to be in the same boat? This can't be good for the NFL and it's long term participation rates.

More content parents are going to read and add to the reasons why little Jimmy will be playing soccer instead of football.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/11/03/former-packers-db-sam-shields-says-he-regrets-nfl-career

Odd thing to say. He looks like he always has and aged like a normal 34 year old. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

yep. There’s a reason those NBA teams are selling for outrageous amounts of money. Basketball is playing the long game.

What does the price of a US pro sports team have to with chronic post football health issues?  

Billionaires lust to own  a major sports team because it's a very lucrative (well, NFL/NBA for sure), extremely exclusive, high profile, extremely enjoyable way to invest your money--paying huge dividends and offering massive ROI.

It really doesn't matter how many kids are playing Pop Warner---nearly all of them are not future NFL talent.  Those who are will always continue playing through HS, desperate to get a scholarship.  Of those, the best will be in the NFL.  

We've been hearing for quite some time that CTE, etc would be the death knell for the NFL.  All evidence points to this not being the case.  Anecdotal tough luck stories of outliers does not change this.

Hmm...maybe that is a compromise?  Flag football until High school?

Flag football is becoming huge. It’s gonna be a girls varsity sport across the country soon…..it already is in parts of NY. I coach a 14u team……all my kids on the team play tackle including my 2 sons, but they all love flag due to the competition and competing in tournaments up and down the east coast!

My uncle was a coal miner in Pennsylvania and he suffered with black lung for 30 years. 

So I asked him why did you choose a career that was so dangerous?

He said,  FOR THE MONEY

Moral of the story,  you make the choices, know the risks 

He looks terrible to be honest...like one of the drug addicts you'd see on the corner in a bad neighborhood. Looks like he's 50 and he is only 34.

Said his head feels like mush and concussions had a lot to do with it, and that he would not do it all over again if he had the chance...

Wonder how many players playing now are going to be in the same boat? This can't be good for the NFL and it's long term participation rates.

More content parents are going to read and add to the reasons why little Jimmy will be playing soccer instead of football.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/11/03/former-packers-db-sam-shields-says-he-regrets-nfl-career

Terrible turn of events for Shields. Parents and young athletes have to weigh the risk/reward of an NFL career. Remember that if you can escape unscathed the 4 year average career, chances are the rewards will set your family up for a decade. This is not a no brainer for a superior athlete.The idea of playing pro football is a dream for many young athletes. Achieving that goal is life changing.

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

It isn’t going to scare away anyone in Texas or Florida, and that’s where the talent is at this point anyway. Declining participation in northeast suburbs isn’t going to hurt the game. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

That's part of the problem... most of the South has a lesser respect for actual human life and it shows.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3

I am very conflicted about this.  I played high school football and loved it.  I enjoyed the physical nature of the sport, and the spectacle of game day.  I have never been an active drug user, but I can't imagine any drug that would give me a bigger high than the one I got when I sacked the quarterback in a big game.  Football also did wonders for my fitness, discipline, and overall well being (although I could have arguably gotten those same benefits from any other competitive sport that I played 6 days per week).  I probably got my "bell rung" a few times, but didn't sustain any serious or long term physical or mental injuries.  I look back fondly upon it.  I might have been interested in playing in college, but I really wanted to go to a Big 10 school and I didn't have the talent to play at that level, so high school was it.

As an adult, many years beyond high school and college, I love the sport as a fan, both college and NFL.  Watching football and attending games is one of my absolute favorite things to do.  I'm even on a football-related message board every day and it's my favorite website (and I'm sure you can relate).

Despite all of this, I don't have a son, but if I did, I don't know if I would let him play.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

yep. There’s a reason those NBA teams are selling for outrageous amounts of money. Basketball is playing the long game.

Basketball is a sport that can only be played by people 6 foot and above AT MINIMUM. And the average height in the NBA is 6-6, but the average height of a US male is only 5-9. As long as money is involved, people will still play in the NFL for hundreds of thousands to hundreds of millions of dollars. 

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

My uncle was a coal miner in Pennsylvania and he suffered with black lung for 30 years. 

He said,  FOR THE MONEY

Yeah, Lil’ Dirty had an interesting exchange with Ty Dunne on their show after the Ravens game.

McKenzie was talking about his concussion, and Ty Dunne mentioned that he’d had a concussion playing rec basketball and how it affected him for several weeks.

A bit later, Dunne asked him essentially, how he could go out there over the middle knowing he might get hit and concussed again (I think he suggested, it might permanently affect you).  McKenzie said we all know the risks, we choose to play the game.  Then he asked Ty Dunne, what would you rather do, get a concussion playing rec basketball, or get a concussion while you’re getting paid a million dollars to play NFL football?  

Pretty clear Dunne hadn’t thought about getting a concussion playing rec basketball quite like that before, and was like “OK, fair point” 

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

That's part of the problem... most of the South has a lesser respect for actual human life and it shows.

And you? Why do you follow football? Do you have a lesser respect for human life? 

GTFO with your pompous bull####.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

American 🏈, unlike 🏀🏒will recede in the talent pool.

Maybe not in my lifetime, but 20 years from now, definitely.

If it gets to the point where insurers will not insure low level school athletics, the sport will die.

The trend could be that entire school districts will be getting out of football.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

He said,  FOR THE MONEY

Was he in Zoolander?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.