Potentially good news for Bills long-term weather wise. Warmer temps, less snow predicted for WNY

Big Turk

3 minutes ago, CoffeeDrip said:

I hate everything about this. Winter is one of the few things that keeps me living here and the more warm/green winters we get the less I want to stick around. 😑

Serious question...where would you go? Alaska?

1 hour ago, BruceVilanch said:

I'm hoping for warmer weather, I'm coming out from Oregon for my first winter home game against the Jets!

That's awesome.  I'll be coming up from Philly during that game as well and it'll be my first time stepping in Buffalo.  Hoping for good weather as well since i'll be driving up there. 

58 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I was a meteorology major for 2 years and still am highly interested in it and follow things?  Those forecasts are based on historical trends over long periods of time(like 100+ years) under the same type of La Nina conditions for places.

I too spent a couple years at UCLA studying meteorology. These climatic forecasts are pretty damn accurate. Supposedly this might be the last La Nina event as wetter weather is expected in late March on the west coast. My concern for Buffalo this winter revolves more around the wind. Hopefully we don't see another event like last year.

Can be a mile or two makes a big difference.  In 2014, we had 7 feet. At about 1.5 miles north at the county fire tower (thy)e county emergency HQ) they had only a few inches and at the airport (3 miles away) the ground was bare.

40 minutes ago, CoffeeDrip said:

I hate everything about this. Winter is one of the few things that keeps me living here and the more warm/green winters we get the less I want to stick around. 😑

ha, most people are the opposite!  But I’m with you… I like the cold and snow.

• Like (+1) 1

I live in a warmer climate and really miss the snow and winter sports.  If we are very lucky, there is good snow about 2 1/2 hours north of us and we can take the kids sledding (or we can ski).  It's five hours of driving, round trip, or an overnight hotel.  It's a lot of hassle for a couple of hours of sledding.  Plus, the opportunities are few and far between.

I loved being a kid in Buffalo and sledding, skiing and even strapping on the skates for some outdoor hockey every now and then.  A couple of good friends had small rinks in their backyards.  Snowball fights were also fun.  We did have to drive to get to skiing, but could walk to sledding or ice skating.  My kids are jealous.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I went to whitefish in early 2000's it was some of the best snow I've been on. Great Divide in Marrysville MT is also phenomenal. I think a lot of the lifts will be open by Thanksgiving here in Oregon.

If you ever want to go back, I have a small condo rental there and will give the Bills fan discount! 😉

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I was a meteorology major for 2 years and still am highly interested in it and follow things?  Those forecasts are based on historical trends over long periods of time(like 100+ years) under the same type of La Nina conditions for places.

I was pre-med for two years, need any medical advice?

• Haha (+1) 1

the whole thing about WNY being so scary and awful weather is overblown, IMO

True winter here lasts from late December to early March. 3 (ish) months and change of true "winter" and even late December and early March have warmer spells where it's 50 degrees out and sunny. 

Anyone who owns a snowmobile in WNY understand this well. 3-4 weeks TOPS when you can use the sled most years. and that's a few days here, a week there, in total for the whole winter. If you're lucky. Last winter it was like 2 weeks in late January/early February. 

It's 60 degrees and sunny outside today, which is not too crazy for early November here. 

A December Bills game is likely to be 42 degrees and grey skies. Yes, it COULD very well blizzard anytime now, but it is MORE likely to be in the 40's or 50's with gloomy skies and that signature WNY November/early December fogginess that lasts all day long. 

November and early December here are a "wear a comfy hoodie, drink beer and have a BBQ" kind of vibe. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.