Potentially good news for Bills long-term weather wise. Warmer temps, less snow predicted for WNY

Big Turk

3 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I live in a warmer climate and really miss the snow and winter sports.  If we are very lucky, there is good snow about 2 1/2 hours north of us and we can take the kids sledding (or we can ski).  It's five hours of driving, round trip, or an overnight hotel.  It's a lot of hassle for a couple of hours of sledding.  Plus, the opportunities are few and far between.

I loved being a kid in Buffalo and sledding, skiing and even strapping on the skates for some outdoor hockey every now and then.  A couple of good friends had small rinks in their backyards.  Snowball fights were also fun.  We did have to drive to get to skiing, but could walk to sledding or ice skating.  My kids are jealous.

I liked that stuff but I would get kind of tired of it after a while. About a month of that would be fine for me. 

I might not be the best reference point though, I'm living in San Diego right now so I pretty much bailed on all of that. 

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I was a meteorology major for 2 years and still am highly interested in it and follow things?  Those forecasts are based on historical trends over long periods of time(like 100+ years) under the same type of La Nina conditions for places.

You couldn't read the teleprompter anymore?

19 hours ago, CoffeeDrip said:

I hate everything about this. Winter is one of the few things that keeps me living here and the more warm/green winters we get the less I want to stick around. 😑

If winter is one of the few things that keep you living here you are probably addicted to feeling sorry for yourself.    

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

I’m not gonna plan anything (from this thread) until @ExiledInIllinoischimes in. He’ll school you fools with phrases like “microclimate” and “north westerly winds”. Ya might as well close this thread and just wait for the REAL info. 

Absolutely! BFLo will be a haven for "Climate Refugees!" 😏 

...Just pack your toque! 

On 11/2/2022 at 1:00 PM, KDIGGZ said:

I thought it was El Nino? Is this one of those Caitlyn Jenner situations?

Both El Nino and La Nina are weather phenomena.  They refer to temperature anomalies in the temperature of the water at the surface of a large area on the Pacific Ocean near the equator.  If the temperature is higher than average, it is an El Nino.  If the temperature is lower than normal you have a La Nina.  The warmer or cooler water temperatures will affect patterns of upper air currents in the atmosphere - where the jet stream is located.  The location of the jet stream will affect whether warm air or cold air tends to predominate in any given area.  There are other large whether phenomena that can change the effect of El Nino and La Nina. The North Atlantic oscillation and the polar vortex are a couple other phenomena that can alter the way that El Nino and La Nina affect our weather.

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.