Is Jamison Crowder going to return at any point?

Jim

I think Crowder's a great guy to have, but I'm not getting my hopes up that he'll be a difference maker this season. He's only just starting to put weight on it again. I suppose if they can keep winning without him, he can give it more time and maybe be in decent shape for the playoffs. 

Edited by skibum

Here’s some stuff from Banged Up Bills about Crowder:

Article

The rumblings are growing louder for Crowder to possibly return later this season after his left ankle fracture in Week 4 against the Baltimore Ravens. The Athletic’s Joe Buscaglia outlines the injury in great detail and the expected timeline for him to return after speaking to Crowder directly.

It’s possible, but we will have to see how the ankle responds to rehab and as he ramps up toward running. It’s very possible for the ankle to get angry due to the sudden increase in activity despite rehabbing the entire time shortly after surgery. If he can come back, it’s a welcome addition late in the year.

Earlier in the year (and with less detail about the specifics of the injury) Trimble was not sanguine about Crowder being able to return.  In any event there’s a long way between jogging down the sideline in a straight line, vs being able to burst off the line and cut effectively.

Dont post much but not sure what I am missing.  Crowder was Beasley… sliding open over the middle.  A huge relief valve for the offense/Josh.  It’s an odd skill yet some guys just have it.  Maybe not as slick as Beasley but incredibly “reliable” and sometimes more threatening.  Get Crowder back and if magically Davis starts making impact catches the offense is beyond frightening.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Because we have a hole the size of Rhode Island at slot…in the Jets game Josh didn’t even attempt a pass between the hash marks. 

Maybe that’s on Josh to some degree? 

11 hours ago, Ccaw said:

Dont post much but not sure what I am missing.  Crowder was Beasley… sliding open over the middle.  A huge relief valve for the offense/Josh.  It’s an odd skill yet some guys just have it.  Maybe not as slick as Beasley but incredibly “reliable” and sometimes more threatening.  Get Crowder back and if magically Davis starts making impact catches the offense is beyond frightening.

I liked Crowder and agree that he was a significant loss to the O, but honesty compels me to point out that he was rocking a sub-50% catch rate and had an INT scored against him which IIRC was off a bobble or deflection.  That's not Beasley-level reliable.  You're right that Crowder has that ability to diagnose zone and find the open spots, but he gotta catch it, including in traffic, when he gets there.

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I liked Crowder and agree that he was a significant loss to the O, but honesty compels me to point out that he was rocking a sub-50% catch rate and had an INT scored against him which IIRC was off a bobble or deflection.  That's not Beasley-level reliable.  You're right that Crowder has that ability to diagnose zone and find the open spots, but he gotta catch it, including in traffic, when he gets there.

Crowder missed a good deal of training camp and pre-season time.  It looked to me early in the year, particularly on this miscues and drops you mention, that he and Josh were still getting adjusted to one another, particularly Crowder to Josh, in terms of when to break off, when to turn around, the speed the ball gets to him, etc.  Given his very reliable history, I certainly assumed that over time that would work itself out and he would be productive.  If he can somehow work his way back to practicing with Josh for a few weeks, he could be a real factor in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

All true and I wasn't overly impressed with what he had done up to the point of his injury either.  My hope was that he was still getting integrated into the offense and building chemistry with Josh and we would have seen that connection improve over the course of the season.  Unfortunately, we never got the chance to see if that could have been the case.  Regardless, we could use a reliable slot/zone soft spot finder in the playoffs, so I hope he's able to return.  I expected Shakir to have grown into that role by now and he's looked good when the ball is thrown his way, but it just hasn't happened for whatever reason.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I never fault Josh for anything 

Well,  he is the key to the car so to speak, so there is that, 👍 but like all humans he is bound to not see the forest through the trees from time to time, not knocking Josh per say, but no one is perfect, not even me, 😂

30 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

All true and I wasn't overly impressed with what he had done up to the point of his injury either.  My hope was that he was still getting integrated into the offense and building chemistry with Josh and we would have seen that connection improve over the course of the season.  Unfortunately, we never got the chance to see if that could have been the case.  Regardless, we could use a reliable slot/zone soft spot finder in the playoffs, so I hope he's able to return.  I expected Shakir to have grown into that role by now and he's looked good when the ball is thrown his way, but it just hasn't happened for whatever reason.

I lost it now, but there was a video clip posted, illustrating another play (maybe the pitch to Hines) which kinda shown what I've seen from Shakir in the slot on the film I've watched.

Shakir had to make his way between two players in zone coverage - which he did.  As he cleared them, he raised the "mail flag" (arm gesture, I'm open).  But there was a 3rd defender moving to pick him up as he cleared the first two, who within a step was covering him closely from behind and who was well-positioned to pick up any slightly errant throw or deflection. 

I'm not sure what exactly Shakir should do differently in that specific situation - maybe he was just well covered and taken away. Possibly, a "speed guy" like McKenzie might zip to the sideline and gain enough separation that Josh could take a shot, "his ball or no ones".  A "surgeon" like Beasley might act like he's racing to the sideline then cut sharply inside and win separation that way. 

Shakir may be doing what he's coached to do, but to me he seemed oblivious to the fact that he was still very covered.  I think the whole "beat the zone" thing is still "progressing" for him.  Shakir's catches all seem to me to be outside or deep.

• Like (+1) 3

On 12/8/2022 at 12:54 PM, Don Otreply said:

Well,  he is the key to the car so to speak, so there is that, 👍 but like all humans he is bound to not see the forest through the trees from time to time, not knocking Josh per say, but no one is perfect, not even me, 😂

Josh Allen is much closer to perfect than you. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Josh Allen is much closer to perfect than you. 

Lol,

4 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Back to the point at hand: we sorely need Crowder's ability to work zone coverage/middle of the field. 

I see a tune up game in the regular season and then hope for the best...

He woulda been perfect yesterday against that D.  McKenzie should revert back to his gadget role.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.