Bills trade for Nyheim Hines

BLeonard

31 minutes ago, wjag said:

Be great if he has some PR/KR ability to go with the speed. 

crazy business.  Zack goes from playoff caliber team to playoff wannabe team.  

Hines has been a steady PR for the Colts.  11 returns, 10 Y/R so far this season. 

Saw some KR too in previous years but lost the job this year.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

so, ~2x the touches that Gabe Davis gets isn't a big deal to you? He has the potential to be a massive difference maker. At the barest of minimums, he's an upgrade over Moss for nothing.

I don't disagree that he's an upgrade. How much of a difference maker he is probably where we disagree. 

I think the Bills did this for a number of reasons: 

1. They wanted to solidify and get better at PR/KR. Hines has been top 10 in the league at it and takes pressure off of Shakir to just focus on becoming a better WR. Same with McKenzie on KR who we all know doesn’t have the most sure hands. 

2. Hines is a matchup nightmare against LBs that puts extra strain on defenses to pick their poison. He can be used on STs, RB, Slot so he is versatile.

3. I actually think this is a good thing for James Cook. This allows Cook to focus on the nuances it’s going to take for him to be a # 1 RB in the future. He can focus on being a better runner between the tackles, picking up pass pro. 

4. The Bills protected themselves against Devin Singletary leaving next year which seems more likely now. 

I don’t think the deters Buffalo from going after OBJ and still expect them to make an offer 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Boy talk about the grass being greener on the other side. 

Hines isn't CMC nor should he ever be compared to him. That's absurd. The guy is a career back up and The Colts wouldn't just let him walk for free if he was so valuable. Slow down sir. With that said, Hines is an upgrade and he adds speed to the Bills offense. That's never a bad thing. Cook and Hines probably will rarely be on the field together. The unstoppable comment is wildly optimistic. 

I like the pick up but my expectations are somewhat tempered. 

Is he better than Moss, yes. But even in Indy his opportunities have been on the decline from 2020 to 2021 and from 2021 to 2022. Looks like he was demoted to #3 RB this year.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Cooks going to be an important piece going forward.  He’ll be a good spot to learn from Hines who’s been in the Cook type of roll for a few years now and doing it at a high level.  Hines is also a good returner if i remember right.  

I think the return thing is great because it should free up shakir for more offensive snaps at receiver. They seemed to not want to risk him on offense since he was the only punt returner left they trusted. 

I also think cook has been limited because they haven’t trusted his pass blocking, Hines should know his blocking assignments fairly quickly 

Edited by Rc2catch

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Boy talk about the grass being greener on the other side. 

Hines isn't CMC nor should he ever be compared to him. That's absurd. The guy is a career back up and The Colts wouldn't just let him walk for free if he was so valuable. Slow down sir. With that said, Hines is an upgrade and he adds speed to the Bills offense. That's never a bad thing. Cook and Hines probably will rarely be on the field together. The unstoppable comment is wildly optimistic. 

I like the pick up but my expectations are somewhat tempered. 

It wasn’t a direct McCaffery comparison.  It was just a similar Swiss-army type back we were looking for.  I think he provides a lot of extra speed and value for us.  Can move to receiver slots, return kicks etc. Hard to guard us when we have speed abs receiving options out of the backfield and it has been clear from day 1 that the staff wanted 2 backs on the roster with speed and receiving ability, which we now have with Cook and Hines.  Can give us more versatility overall.

Edited by Aurelius

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I don't disagree that he's an upgrade. How much of a difference maker he is probably where we disagree. 

He's not going to be MVP if that's what you're arguing, but he gives us a legitimate backup to both of the roles that Singletary and Cook play, upgrades our special teams, and should help take away targets from guys like McKenzie. All of those things add up.

The injury protection alone is massive. RBs get dinged up and having to spend any significant time with Moss int he backfield was going to severely limit us.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm kind of lukewarm about this trade. I was hoping for a power back that would compliment Motor and Cook. It sounds like his build and skill level is similar to both?? I can understand if the Bills see him as Rb1 next year. I still worry about getting the tough yards in the playoffs and hopefully the SB. And yes I do realize our best power runner is a fella named Josh. I was hoping for Hunt. Are my concerns for a complimentary power back overblown?

• Like (+1) 1

Also, let me address this short yardage back question. Zack Moss was a "power back" who absolutely sucked at short yardage. Hines is 5'9" 196lbs. One of the best short yardage backs the Bills ever had was 5'10" 200lbs. Thurman Thomas. I know he didn't play goalline all the time and blah blah. If you needed a yard in a big spot that dude got you at least a yard and a half. Ask Brian Cox about that. It's not always about being big, it's finding the soft spot. Moss acted like a power back but he wasnt. Derrick Henry is a power back. Moss tried to run like Henry and couldn't. The Bills have just as many power back options today as they did yesterday. Doesn't mean Hines or Cook can't pickup short yardage. I dont think Singetary's stop and start style lends itself well to it but the other two could.

13 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

He wasn't even the #2 RB on the Colts anymore. He was replaced by Deon Jackson which has resulted in less carries for Hines and more for Jackson. Last year Hines was getting more carries, not Jackson. That's what I'm focused on. Deon who?

Doesn't sound like you loves some Bills. 😵💫😏 He is a pass catching RB, plus punt returner.  He's better at this point than Cook. Cook will definitely be good one day, but they are looking to win Superbowl this year. 

Go Bills!!

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

3. I actually think this is a good thing for James Cook. This allows Cook to focus on the nuances it’s going to take for him to be a # 1 RB in the future. He can focus on being a better runner between the tackles, picking up pass pro. 

I don't think this is part of the plan. He isn't physically built to be a #1 back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.