Jump to content

Coordinators not adapting schemes


Back2Buff
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Here is why. Taron Johnson is a better football player than any of the backup linebackers. If they had kept Klein I suspect you may have seen more 4-3 played. 


also, 7 minute drives that aren’t consistently finishing are gold when you are up 3 scores. 
 

with a depleted secondary, an extra vet corner isn’t terrible. Let them get 100 carries at 5-6 yards a clip and 30 seconds of clock at that point

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

If you think the Bills' run defense was a problem last night, then you've been drinking too much of the Collinsworth Kool Aid.  That was not a winning formula for the Packers and they proved it.  

 

You want to take 7-8 minutes to run down the field and then not convert on a 4th, or end up kicking a FG?  Go right ahead.  It was a joke of a strategy and should be treated as such.


The strategy works quite well if you have a defense to back it up with. 
 

The Packers do not have that defense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

This was our issue for years now, but the Bills just roll out the same formations no matter the opponent and it continues to make no sense.

 

I have no idea why the Bills went nickel pretty much the entire game yesterday.  If you can't stop those WR without a third CB on field, you have bigger issues with your secondary that will get you no where fast.

 

When the other team is missing two LBs and you are up 17 points, you go big and you run the ball down their throats.  You don't try to run it out of shotgun with 3 WRs on field.

 

It's so frustrating to feel like we are a dumb football team because we don't adapt to the situation at hand.  It's like we are too stubborn or something.

 

This is why many national reporter say the Bills rely on Allen too much, because they do.  They are 100% right.  Singletary and Cook were running fine with the right personnel in the game, yet Dorsey got so cocky.

 

I would encourage you to listen to some interviews with opposing head coaches after they face the Bills.

 

The STRENGTH of this defensive scheme is that it is multi-functional out of the same base set, so the offense has no idea what you're going to throw at them pre-snap. Running a 4-6 Bear or 5-3 technique makes it incredibly obvious what you intend to defend. In the base Nickel, you have Taron Johnson playing as an outside linebacker sometimes and as a nickel corner other times. Do you have any idea how difficult that is to read as an opposing QB?

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I’m talking about two very realistic scenarios that could have severely impacted the game.

 

One was a ticky tack call that wiped a TD off the board.

 

And the other is GB just converting just one 4th and shorts.

 

400 yards to 370 and 34 minutes to 26 minutes for GB.

 

If someone told GB that script before the game, they would sign up for that in a heart beat.

 

Now the difference? Bills made a couple clutch plays and got a little lucky on the OPI

 

But not exactly what you want when you’re the heavy favourite

 

Pretty sure GB would not have signed up in advance to losing 27-17 on the basis that if things had gone differently they might have won, but perhaps do a survey of their players and coaching staff to find out if you’re not sure.  

 

If you don’t like winning it’s not compulsory to support the Bills.  The Texans are available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

The bills after half time have been one of the best teams in the nfl.

 

But to your point, I didn’t like the defensive game plan yesterday.

 

Bills were in nickel against 12 and 21 personnel a lot of the game which doesn’t make a ton of sense to me, especially considering GB has no weapons at WR

 

Most games they do very well.  This game it seemed they were afraid of Rodgers throwing deep on them and refused to get out of nickel and were willing to trade off getting gashed in the run game and GB using lots of clock to honestly accomplish not much of anything as it turned out for that peace of mind.

 

Even with GB running the ball well, it never felt like they were in the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chewmylegoff said:

 

Pretty sure GB would not have signed up in advance to losing 27-17 on the basis that if things had gone differently they might have won, but perhaps do a survey of their players and coaching staff to find out if you’re not sure.  

 

Idk, Jaire Alexander seems to think he won yesterday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

 

Idk, Jaire Alexander seems to think he won yesterday. 


He seems about as mentally stable as some of our fans. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We are one of the best, if not the best second half teams in the NFL....this thread lol.


imagine if we weren’t the best though, imagine if we were the worst, wouldn’t that be something?

  • Haha (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

This was our issue for years now, but the Bills just roll out the same formations no matter the opponent and it continues to make no sense.

 

I have no idea why the Bills went nickel pretty much the entire game yesterday.  If you can't stop those WR without a third CB on field, you have bigger issues with your secondary that will get you no where fast.

 

When the other team is missing two LBs and you are up 17 points, you go big and you run the ball down their throats.  You don't try to run it out of shotgun with 3 WRs on field.

 

It's so frustrating to feel like we are a dumb football team because we don't adapt to the situation at hand.  It's like we are too stubborn or something.

 

This is why many national reporter say the Bills rely on Allen too much, because they do.  They are 100% right.  Singletary and Cook were running fine with the right personnel in the game, yet Dorsey got so cocky.

I agree Buff, and said so numerous times throughout the game. 

 

Why are we not putting a 3rd linebacker on the field? 

 

Romeo Doubs might get behind us 3x? 

 

 

Also, I want more 4-wide, empty set looks for this offense ala 2020. 

 

I hated that third down call with 2:42 left. 

 

Line up and run a real play. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know the narrative from some posters is that the Bills gameplan all along was to allow the run.

 

But I highly doubt it.

 

I highly doubt McD and Frazier wanted to see the Packers rip off 5 to 10 yards per rush.

 

It also makes no sense since the Packers have little to no passing game right now. Rodgers looked like he could barely complete a pass the last few weeks.

 

So we decided to let them run instead? Makes no sense.

 

 

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:


also, 7 minute drives that aren’t consistently finishing are gold when you are up 3 scores. 

 

This is the “narrative” I was talking about.

 

No, the Bills plan was not to allow GB to stay on the field for 7 minute drives. i’m sure they would much rather have our offense doing the seven minute drives.

  • Eyeroll 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I know the narrative from some posters is that the Bills gameplan all along was to allow the run.

 

But I highly doubt it.

 

I highly doubt McD and Frazier wanted to see the Packers rip off 5 to 10 yards per rush.

 

It also makes no sense since the Packers have little to no passing game right now. Rodgers looked like he could barely complete a pass the last few weeks.

 

So we decided to let them run instead? Makes no sense.

 

 


 

Literally no one thinks the plan all along was to allow the packers to run the ball for 200+ yards, the point is that there was no need to change our defensive scheme to try to force the opposition to stop beating themselves. 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, uninja said:


The strategy works quite well if you have a defense to back it up with. 
 

The Packers do not have that defense. 

 

They held the Bills to 3 points in the 2nd half but allowed the Bills to drive on them most of the half which kind of defeated their strategy and still lost by 10 while never really being in the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, uninja said:


The strategy works quite well if you have a defense to back it up with. 
 

The Packers do not have that defense. 

I think you are mistaken. The back end of the GB defense is really good. They showed it last night. They were short handed in the front seven. This is why teams, including ours ran well against them.

 

unfortunately Dorsey decided to keep trying to exploit their strength.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Take it easy, everybody! We "senior" fans will recall the 70s Dolphins openly mocking the Bills for continuing to run OJ even when down multiple scores. It's nice to be on the other side for a change ... Green Bay has impressive run-blocking offensive line/schemes, two huge tight ends and a pair of terrific running backs. The Bills played only six in the box all night. The Packers were thus destined to rack up decent rushing numbers -- and also destined to lose. The only chance for GB to come back was if the Bills risked depleting the defensive backfield to load the box; Frazier and McD wisely did not take the bait. (I'll also note that on the two long completions to R. Doubs, Taron Johnson had superb coverage -- but Rogers can still drop 'em in there.) 

And to those grousing about that OPI call, don't forget that the Packers first scoring drive was salvaged by a shaky hands-to-the-face call against Dane Jackson, negating an otherwise drive-ending third-down sack by Ed Oliver. Penalties giveth and taketh away ...  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Flucod said:

I am a Edmunds supporter but after last night? He was out of position on nearly every running play and he could not tackle anyone. It was hard to watch him, at the end of most plays he was looking around to figure out what happened. Rewatch the game, it was like we only were playing with 10 defenders.

That is why he will be gone next year.  He is going to be a cap casualty as well.

  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I think Leslie Frazier knows how to put 8 guys in the box.  Packers were slowly drinking poison with their offensive play calling and he was letting them.

 

 How is this so hard for people to understand, I don't get it? They identified the way they could lose the game and made sure it didn't happen. The Packers running the ball(And the clock) wasn't one of those ways. They weren't going to allow Rodgers to beat them.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...