Coordinators not adapting schemes

Back2Buff

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

This was our issue for years now, but the Bills just roll out the same formations no matter the opponent and it continues to make no sense.

I have no idea why the Bills went nickel pretty much the entire game yesterday.  If you can't stop those WR without a third CB on field, you have bigger issues with your secondary that will get you no where fast.

When the other team is missing two LBs and you are up 17 points, you go big and you run the ball down their throats.  You don't try to run it out of shotgun with 3 WRs on field.

It's so frustrating to feel like we are a dumb football team because we don't adapt to the situation at hand.  It's like we are too stubborn or something.

This is why many national reporter say the Bills rely on Allen too much, because they do.  They are 100% right.  Singletary and Cook were running fine with the right personnel in the game, yet Dorsey got so cocky.

You know the Bills won 27-17, right?

• Like (+1) 2

This was our issue for years now, but the Bills just roll out the same formations no matter the opponent and it continues to make no sense.

I have no idea why the Bills went nickel pretty much the entire game yesterday.  If you can't stop those WR without a third CB on field, you have bigger issues with your secondary that will get you no where fast.

When the other team is missing two LBs and you are up 17 points, you go big and you run the ball down their throats.  You don't try to run it out of shotgun with 3 WRs on field.

It's so frustrating to feel like we are a dumb football team because we don't adapt to the situation at hand.  It's like we are too stubborn or something.

This is why many national reporter say the Bills rely on Allen too much, because they do.  They are 100% right.  Singletary and Cook were running fine with the right personnel in the game, yet Dorsey got so cocky.

WTF are you talking about? The Bills defense have long been praised for their constant disguise of what they are showing vs. what they are playing? 

2 hours ago, delirious said:

Okay, so you let them run. But if you know they're going to run, why not run a 4-3? I'd rather my offense bleed and run out the clock then let them run against nickel and burn clock.  It just seems backwards.

Because then that opens the backend for the deep pass and all of a sudden they are quickly back into the game.

If a team down by 3 scores wants to run the ball between the 20s, then you let them do that all day. We still tightened up and stopped them from scoring in the long run.

Staying in our base Nickel was the best path. And won us the game.

• Like (+1) 1

Please explain in detail how taking Taron off for a Linebacker would have helped us fit the run better.

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

I’m talking about two very realistic scenarios that could have severely impacted the game.

One was a ticky tack call that wiped a TD off the board.

And the other is GB just converting just one 4th and shorts.

400 yards to 370 and 34 minutes to 26 minutes for GB.

If someone told GB that script before the game, they would sign up for that in a heart beat.

Now the difference? Bills made a couple clutch plays and got a little lucky on the OPI

But not exactly what you want when you’re the heavy favourite

You are right and this was a really ugly win, even with 27 points scored.  Josh was making bad reads and two terrible throws for int's and the D got their throats examined for lost GB running backs stuck in their somewhere.  They ran it down our throat all night,  we could not stop the run at all.  Not what I was expecting after a bye week.  Bad performance but still a W.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Most games they do very well.  This game it seemed they were afraid of Rodgers throwing deep on them and refused to get out of nickel and were willing to trade off getting gashed in the run game and GB using lots of clock to honestly accomplish not much of anything as it turned out for that peace of mind.

Even with GB running the ball well, it never felt like they were in the game.

the packers never were.

it’s like the old stat where the bills were basically winless when Scott chandler had a big game. 

the packers were going never going to win with running their way out of a 3 score deficit. Let them run!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chewmylegoff said:

Sure sure we won the ‘game’ but who’s going to remember that at the end of the season when they’re handing out prizes for time of possession statistics?

Green Bay won the TOP battle by over seven minutes.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You know the Bills won 27-17, right?

So they have to lose for us to question why they were allowing GB to rip of 10, 20+ yard runs repeatedly and playing nickel when the formations said run? 

And why Frazier was playing like he was scared to death of GBs receivers, when their receivers are their weak spot?

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

the packers never were.

it’s like the old stat where the bills were basically winless when Scott chandler had a big game. 

the packers were going never going to win with running their way out of a 3 score deficit. Let them run!

That game was a Crosby missed FG and fairly weak OPI call from being tied. You're making it sound like we were comfortably ahead.  We weren't.  It was the way WE were playing that was the reason we didn't know the game was over until Crosby missed the FG.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

So they have to lose for us to question why they were allowing GB to rip of 10, 20+ yard runs repeatedly and playing nickel when the formations said run? 

And why Frazier was playing like he was scared to death of GBs receivers, when their receivers are their weak spot?

That game was a Crosby missed FG and fairly weak OPI call from being tied.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one watching who was saying .. "tick, tock ... tick, tock ..." as the Bills LET the Packers continue to run. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

My argument would be if you play aggressive and give up a 60 yard TD, who cares? As we have the best offence in the NFL and can answer in a heart beat.

The only way GB wins yesterday is clock control/being efficient, and we almost let that happen.

A 4th down conversion here and a pretty lame OPI call on Tonyun there, and it’s a completely different ball game.

You're playing the what if game. What I'd Josh played lights out in the 2nd half, like he usually does? What if he doesn't throw two 2nd half ints? What if we converted our 3rd downs like we usually do.

Also the OPI wasn't lame, he manhandled Elam to get wide open, it's a penalty every time. AND how for the life of me are you going to sit there and say we almost let GB win? After the first play in the 2nd quarter, that game was never in doubt. They were up 3 scores for a good chunk of the game until a garbage time td cut it to 10.

Giving up 60 yard plays is how you LOSE a game like this. You must be new to football. SMH

• Agree 1

Just now, Gugny said:

I'm sure I wasn't the only one watching who was saying .. "tick, tock ... tick, tock ..." as the Bills LET the Packers continue to run. 

When you're ripping off 20 yard runs, how is that any different than throwing 20 yard passes?

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yuuup. I’ll trade 10 yards for 30 seconds of clock every time when you are up 3 scores in the 4th. yet alone the times it was 2 yards for 30 seconds.

The only risk is that they start throwing and those chunks get bigger and the clock gets stopped when they fail.

to say the bills were afraid of the packers wide receivers wasn’t the case. They just had zero fear of them running.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

When you're ripping off 20 yard runs, how is that any different than throwing 20 yard passes?

One team was ripping off 20 yard passes and one was ripping off 20 yard runs? Which one of those teams won? There's your answer 

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

That game was a Crosby missed FG and fairly weak OPI call from being tied.

As I’m sure you know, nothing works like this because if the OPI flag wasn’t thrown then every single play that happened after it would have been completely different as every decision made by everyone that mattered would have been made on the basis of a different risk profile. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.