Coordinators not adapting schemes

Back2Buff

15 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

My argument would be if you play aggressive and give up a 60 yard TD, who cares? As we have the best offence in the NFL and can answer in a heart beat.

The only way GB wins yesterday is clock control/being efficient, and we almost let that happen.

A 4th down conversion here and a pretty lame OPI call on Tonyun there, and it’s a completely different ball game.

Yes, if the Packers had had more success on offense and the Bills had had less success on defense, it might have been a completely different game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Flucod said:

I am a Edmunds supporter but after last night? He was out of position on nearly every running play and he could not tackle anyone. It was hard to watch him, at the end of most plays he was looking around to figure out what happened. Rewatch the game, it was like we only were playing with 10 defenders.

Good story. A bunch of players had a Bad Game and the Bills still easily won by double digits. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

This was our issue for years now, but the Bills just roll out the same formations no matter the opponent and it continues to make no sense.

I have no idea why the Bills went nickel pretty much the entire game yesterday.  If you can't stop those WR without a third CB on field, you have bigger issues with your secondary that will get you no where fast.

When the other team is missing two LBs and you are up 17 points, you go big and you run the ball down their throats.  You don't try to run it out of shotgun with 3 WRs on field.

It's so frustrating to feel like we are a dumb football team because we don't adapt to the situation at hand.  It's like we are too stubborn or something.

This is why many national reporter say the Bills rely on Allen too much, because they do.  They are 100% right.  Singletary and Cook were running fine with the right personnel in the game, yet Dorsey got so cocky.

Remember when you said this?

On 3/17/2022 at 4:44 PM, Back2Buff said:

The question should really be:

Von Miller vs JC Jackson.

To this day, I do not understand why DEs are valued more than CBs.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I think Leslie Frazier knows how to put 8 guys in the box.  Packers were slowly drinking poison with their offensive play calling and he was letting them.

Well he/they allowed 6.7 per carry for 208 and 50% (6/12) 3rd down conversions. I ain't impressed.

As a matter of fact those numbers aren't that far off from Indy and the Pats last year. But,but,but we're/were statistically......bla,bla,bla.

I'm starting to think maybe it's McD making the half time adjustments when we have to and leaving things to Frazier when we don't.

• Eyeroll 1

Meh...it's not too big of a deal. They definitely know how to adapt and adjust based on what the opponent was doing. 

It was a bit frustrating they were allowing so many big runs but they don't like taking Taron Johnson off the field. Along with Poyer, he's the most experienced secondary player with Elam, Benford, and Hamlin out there. And then later in the game when Jaquan Johnson had to replace Poyer, that made Taron the most tenured in the secondary. At the end of the day they just value Taron over Tyrel Dodson in most situations. 

The offense had some great plays and they had some stinkers. Felt like they were pressing a bit in the second half. They did get stuffed on several runs in a row so maybe that's what made them steer away from it a bit. Josh also has the ability to audible so who knows how many called runs were switched to passes and vice versa. 

Felt like they played pretty well defensively except for some of those big runs. But I think the thing a lot of us tend to forget is that the McDermott defense will allow yards in that whole bend but don't break thing. It'll be good to get Tre back and hopefully Poyer won't have to miss much time but you feel some concern for him because he's just so beat up this season. Feels like one more solid hit could send him to IR. 

Overall a win is a win. There were some great plays and some not so great plays. They also seemed a little hyped up for whatever reason. I'm sure they'll level out, work on their miscues and go spank the crap outta the Jets. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, nosejob said:

Well he/they allowed 6.7 per carry for 208 and 50% (6/12) 3rd down conversions. I ain't impressed.

As a matter of fact those numbers aren't that far off from Indy and the Pats last year. But,but,but we're/were statistically......bla,bla,bla.

I'm starting to think maybe it's McD making the half time adjustments when we have to and leaving things to Frazier when we don't.

Say it with me.  RESULT: double Digit WIN for Buffalo. 

40 minutes ago, delirious said:

Okay, so you let them run. But if you know they're going to run, why not run a 4-3? I'd rather my offense bleed and run out the clock then let them run against nickel and burn clock.  It just seems backwards.

Because then they throw. It was strange but down by 17 and running every down was more strange. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I do think as fans we are getting spoiled and I would suggest watching some more games outside just Buffalo. Dallas has a pretty great defense and the Bears were hanging in there and running on them for most of the game. 
Imo Buffalo was prepared to allow some run game although I’m sure they expected to play it better. I understand the expectations of dominance but it’s not easy to dominate every aspect every week. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I do think as fans we are getting spoiled and I would suggest watching some more games outside just Buffalo. Dallas has a pretty great defense and the Bears were hanging in there and running on them for most of the game. 
Imo Buffalo was prepared to allow some run game although I’m sure they expected to play it better. I understand the expectations of dominance but it’s not easy to dominate every aspect every week. 

yeah for example. Most look at Eagle record and say Hurts is MVP lead after this week. 

but really look at the QBs they have played. They are benefiting of playing well bad QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nosejob said:

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Say it with me.  RESULT: double Digit WIN for Buffalo. 

I get that, I'm grateful. I'm also grateful the Packers came with one receiver.

15 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Yes, if the Packers had had more success on offense and the Bills had had less success on defense, it might have been a completely different game.

I’m talking about two very realistic scenarios that could have severely impacted the game.

One was a ticky tack call that wiped a TD off the board.

And the other is GB just converting just one 4th and shorts.

400 yards to 370 and 34 minutes to 26 minutes for GB.

If someone told GB that script before the game, they would sign up for that in a heart beat.

Now the difference? Bills made a couple clutch plays and got a little lucky on the OPI

But not exactly what you want when you’re the heavy favourite

If you think the Bills' run defense was a problem last night, then you've been drinking too much of the Collinsworth Kool Aid.  That was not a winning formula for the Packers and they proved it.  

You want to take 7-8 minutes to run down the field and then not convert on a 4th, or end up kicking a FG?  Go right ahead.  It was a joke of a strategy and should be treated as such.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nosejob said:

I get that, I'm grateful. I'm also grateful the Packers came with one receiver.

And if they had more?  Would would that mean?  Do we want to play the Hypothetical game. Fine what would have happened if Allen doesn’t make a couple bad decisions. What does the score look like? 

The Packers were trying to get the Bills defense out of nickel, so they could take shots downfield.  But Leslie Frazier wouldn't take the bait.

Green Bay's first two drives of the second half ended up taking over 11 minutes, and led to a whopping 3 points.  Let other teams worry about yardage stats and defensive rankings.  Our opponent basically ran the clock out on themselves.

I have a much bigger issue with Ken Dorsey last night, as opposed to Leslie Frazier.

While our defense seemed more concerned with walking out with a W, I got the impression our offense was trying harder to get fantasy stats and help Josh Allen's MVP bid.  

This was a perfect game to really get the run-game rolling.  Especially late in the second half.  We should have been handing the ball to Singletary and Cook.  But we started getting too cute trying to run up the score, and ended up getting horribly sloppy.  Allen should have been able to run for the 1st down on one of his INTs.  The second was clearly him trying to force the ball into the endzone so he could get a third TD.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, delirious said:

Okay, so you let them run. But if you know they're going to run, why not run a 4-3? I'd rather my offense bleed and run out the clock then let them run against nickel and burn clock.  It just seems backwards.

The Bills philosophy is if you run a 4-3, you invite them to pass and now you have a 3rd LB covering a RB or TE. 

They'd rather stay light and invite you to run. Bc the analytics say that the more a team runs the less likely they are of winning. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.